17" vs 15" wheel ? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 13, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

17" vs 15" wheel ?

is there a big difference with the ride or handling going to a 17" wheel ?
the look is great , thinking of a change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 13, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

Re: 17" vs 15" wheel ?

One of the "good" things about switching away from 15" rubber, is that you can run tires with a lot better grip.
I still am running 15" right now. I have considered switching but cant find a wheel that I like that is not $600 each.

You could always just put on a set of these if you are after a sticky tire... :-)
http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/road-legal/cr6zz
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 13, 02:50 PM
Guess

Cool Re: 17" vs 15" wheel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv67ssrs View Post
I still am running 15" right now. I have considered switching but cant find a wheel that I like that is not $600 each.
I hear that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 13, 03:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

Although my direct comparison is Vette based I think the results apply for a Camaro. My experience matched the general consensus of slightly harsher ride but improved lateral grip. For acceleration I like 15 wheels. Performance tire options are a lot better as you increase diameter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM002304.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	55705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM002725.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	55713  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 14, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech
Pete

As others have said, go 17 for the better tires. Will give you better handling, braking, acceleration, etc. And its safer too and you are less likely to crash your car if some texter cuts you off and you have to do a panic stop.

Pete
1968 Camaro
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 14, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I looked long and hard at going 17 inch and could justify it. For me I like the looks of the 15 inch wheel and tire combo. It's also amazing the amount of people that tell me it's nice to see a firs gen and it still has 15 inch wheels.

They make the Cragar wheel I have in 17 inch, I just don't think it's looks as good. I have power single piston front disc brakes from a 69 Camaro/Chevelle and the 67 stops just fine. They have been tehre before I re-did the 67 into it's current state and after 160,000 miles and daily driver use I never had an issue stopping the car in a panic and with teh hotchkiss suspension it handles well for what it is....a 67 Camaro. I think some of this is what are you wanting the bigger combo for?

They look good but some of the other big wheels look they are dime a dozen on these cars.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 14, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv67ssrs View Post
One of the "good" things about switching away from 15" rubber, is that you can run tires with a lot better grip.

You could always just put on a set of these if you are after a sticky tire... :-)
http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/road-legal/cr6zz
These are very nice in 17's and only about $250 each.

or go in between with 16's like these....I like the old school look.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 14, 04:26 PM
Sean

The odd thing is that 17" tires are becoming increasingly less expensive than 15" because of popularity.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 14, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

Yah... those arent bad choices... but IMHO, there are way too many Camaros out there with some variation of a 5 spoke wheel... No desire to go that way on my car...

I like how 16" wheels look... but there are practically no tire choices in that size....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 14, 04:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Might as well go back to the original 14" wheels. Those are truly old school and only slightly crappier than 15's.

Honestly going to a lower profile/bigger diameter tire and wheel setup was one of the most noticeable performance upgrades I've made to date.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 14, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I like my 15 x 8 Vette wheels. . . .and with new tires it was a big big differenc in handling over my 10 year old bfg's. I am old school and like the way it was intended to be without all the expensive ad on's for a car I drive 500 miles a year, and I have 4 69's all a bit different, but still old school. . . .just an old guy talkin.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 14, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I do like the 16 and 17 TT rims and would love the benefit from running modern tires.

I just wish AR still made the real TTD rims so they would clear my JL8 style brakes in the front.

Thank goodness for FW rims.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 14, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

my tires are getting old and time to replace so I have been looking into different look and handling aspects while car is sleeping under the covers and it is snowing and below ZERO
thanks for the info
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 14, 08:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills69 View Post
my tires are getting old and time to replace so I have been looking into different look and handling aspects while car is sleeping under the covers and it is snowing and below ZERO
thanks for the info
They make some really nice 17" snow tires nowadays.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

with the drop top and 5 degrees PERFECT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode