wheels and tires for a 69 RS - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 14, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

wheels and tires for a 69 RS

Some idiot(owner before me) painted my rally wheels ORANGE. Nobody had orange wheels way back when,ever. Either I go back to gray rally wheels or back then MAG wheels or slotted chrome was cool. Do they make "Old school" mags anymore.????

And bought a new 69 Z-28 off the show room floor. It had Goodyear Sport car 200 all the way around. 2 little lines around with some chicken scrathes on out side. Very low profile for back then. Car just didnt run the same without those on it,,,wondering if they make something similar today,,,I would put on my rs which is a z wanna-be?????

These were 15" forgot D or E width
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 14, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Re: wheels and tires for a 69 RS

Dont everybody talk at once!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 14, 08:39 PM
Team Member
Randy

Don, here is an old school wheel and summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-a695861/overview/

My 69 Camaro build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 11:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I have a Hugger Orange '69SS. I had old school Cragar SS wheels on BF Goodrich Radial T/A's which look really cool.

Because I get tired of things quickly, I will be putting on Chevy SS wheels this spring.

Attached is a pic of my Orange '69 with the Cragar wheels on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	58201  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 05:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi Don
I found this, they were Firestone -

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20052

Came on Z-28's.

And yes, I'm going "Old School" with my 69, 15" Cragar SS and Goodyear Polyglas GT tires.

I'm after the 70's look.
Timmy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 14, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Timmy, that link took me to a guy asking a Corvette relay question

Does Firestone have low profile 15's???????

Thanks for all the replies

The 'Black' mags were like those Cragers only with black spokes and a brushed nickel outside rim
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 14, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Timmy, that link took me to a guy asking a Corvette relay question

Does Firestone have low profile 15's???????

Thanks for all the replies

The 'Black' mags were like those Cragers only with black spokes and a brushed nickel outside rim
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 14, 08:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

You can buy reproduction tires that look and perform like the originals.
In 69, the Z came with E7015 bias ply tires.
Either Firestone Sports Car 200, or
Goodyear, Wide Tread Custom GT

Goodyear did not make a sports car 200.

I have a set of the Firestone Sports Cart 200's mounted on my original YH ralley wheels. They ride and handle horribly. That is why they are on the wall in the garage. I run modern radials on a set of FW ralley wheels for everyday driving. The FW wheel is
within 1/4 inch of the same off-set, but much cheaper.

If you like the size of your orange ralley wheels, you can strip and paint them argent silver to make them look original. Would be a lot cheaper. BFG Radial TA is a good all around choice that is ALMOST period correct.

And yes, there are some old school mags. Stay away from unilugs. Most of them come in 16, 17 and 18 (or even bigger) but many are still available in 15. Personally, if I were going old school, I would look for a vintage set of wheels.

BTW, yes there were some orange wheels. Many of the cars that did not come with ralley wheels got steel wheels painted body color. So, if you bought an orange Camaro, it could have come with orange wheels and the "dog dish" cheapie hubcaps.

Lynn
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 10:58 AM
Senior Tech
John

These look pretty sweet for a "Day 2" look. To me, these look more like the "real deal" than the version American racing offers. The "look" without the unilugs (and hassle of polishing 40 yr old wheels).

http://www.mhtwheels.com/mht-luxury-...eel.cfm?id=299
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 14, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
George

BTW, yes there were some orange wheels. Many of the cars that did not come with ralley wheels got steel wheels painted body color. So, if you bought an orange Camaro, it could have come with orange wheels and the "dog dish" cheapie hubcaps.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE that Look (Wolf in sheeps Clothing)

482 New ZL1 Block
HR 250 @ 50 107 Lobe SEP
Pro Systems 4150
AFR 315s 11.3:1 Ported 163 Manifold
Auto gear M22W 410 12 Bolt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 14, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi Don
I am not a Wheel expert and sorry, I messed that Link up, it was copied from a Picture link for one of the original Ad's for the 69 RS.
To begin, I believe the only 1969 Camaro that had Stock 15" wheels was the Z-28. They might have been available as a Special order but your Rims are probably 14's from the factory.
One style was the Torque Thrust "D" wheels from American Racing Wheels, they had the Dark Centers and are used by those looking for that Trans Am look, Cragar has that style also. When I was 10, my neighbor had a 68 Road Runner with these on and Redwall Tires, man that was a great looking car too.
One back in the Day was either the Cragar SS or the Keystone Classic's, I preferred the Cragar SS's.
I also had the Ansen Sprits on my 68 Chevelle SS396 and a Set of Chrome Slotted on my 72 Vega GT, they were 4-Bolt rims for that.
I too am looking for the "Old School" Look that we had in High School, just what I want for my Car. We each have an Idea of what we want
You can go to some Tire/ Wheel companies and pick your Car/ Color/ Wheel and Tire Size and get a feel for what it might look like too.
Good luck, Timmy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 14, 04:56 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Don, Go to Ebay and type in 67-69 Camaro Cars for sale and you will see a hundred cars with all sorts of wheel and tire combos.x2 on the BFG RWL tires and I like the Vette rallys as they give a more muscular look and give the original look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode