rear end / wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 14, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
camaro

rear end / wheels

Who is running a 2nd gen camaro rear end on a 1st gen camaro??? If with the stock rear end i was gonna run a 5.5 back space with a 9.5 wide rim would i now have to run a 6 backspace ????? Since its a bit longer rear end??? I posted this question in two sections wasnt sure where to post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 10:23 AM
JB

Re: rear end / wheels

I have a 67. I did have a 2nd gen rear under it for quite a while. It was 1" wider than the stock rear. Thats 1/2" per side. So the 6" b/s should take car of it. I was running 15"x8" wheels so I did not run that much backset. The 9-1/2" wide with a 5.5" b/s is the widest that will fit with a stock set up. Thats what I have now with a stock rear. Just thought I would mention mine.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 10:51 AM
Banned
Chet

Um, you do realize the spring perches have to be relocated, don't you. Why not do it right and put a first gen rear under it? Alternative is get an early 70's Nova rear end that is a direct bolt in.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 11:04 AM
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rocking daddy View Post
Um, you do realize the spring perches have to be relocated, don't you. Why not do it right and put a first gen rear under it? Alternative is get an early 70's Nova rear end that is a direct bolt in.
Thats what I had to do on mine when I did it. I also went with a early nova rear when I changed back.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
camaro

Yes i know.. But 8.5 are stronger the the 8.2
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 11:39 AM
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm muscle 69 View Post
Yes i know.. But 8.5 are stronger the the 8.2

Mine is a 8.5". I think all the early 70 nova rears are 8.5. The same as the 2ng gen.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
camaro

Yes but in my local craigslist never seen a nova just only camaro rear ends
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 14, 02:50 AM
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm muscle 69 View Post
Yes but in my local craigslist never seen a nova just only camaro rear ends
I found mine in a local junk yard. Dont give up, there out there. In my area ( Alabama ) I see from time to time people parting out novas. There was also lots of 4 door cars out there that have what you need. Just keep looking you will find one. Good luck with your search.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 14, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
camaro

Thanks..
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 14, 03:32 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

+1 on the nova rear axle. I found a 8.5 from a '74 nova at the pick n pull. I scored the complete rear end minus the brake drums (didn't need 'em) for $80 and they threw in the multi leaf springs too, no extra charge.

Keep in mind, you'll have to shorten your driveshaft when going to the 8.5" rear. The 8.5" rear end pinion sticks towards the front longer than the 8.2, so the driveshaft is shorter. Another option is if there is a 2nd gen camaro at the yard, grab the driveshaft because it is the correct length since 2nd gen camaros had the same wheelbase as first gen, but the 2nd gen used the 8.5" shaft. You may have to swap the yoke on the driveshafts depending on your transmission.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 14, 05:22 AM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
+1 on the nova rear axle. I found a 8.5 from a '74 nova at the pick n pull. I scored the complete rear end minus the brake drums (didn't need 'em) for $80 and they threw in the multi leaf springs too, no extra charge.

Keep in mind, you'll have to shorten your driveshaft when going to the 8.5" rear. The 8.5" rear end pinion sticks towards the front longer than the 8.2, so the driveshaft is shorter. Another option is if there is a 2nd gen camaro at the yard, grab the driveshaft because it is the correct length since 2nd gen camaros had the same wheelbase as first gen, but the 2nd gen used the 8.5" shaft. You may have to swap the yoke on the driveshafts depending on your transmission.
Don't automatically assume you have to shorten the driveshaft. GM put various pinion yokes on the 8.5. You might get lucky and it is a perfect fit. In all instances, you MUST measure for proper driveshaft length.

I also suggest you broaden your scope of search from just Craigslist.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 14, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
camaro

What are some other places to look for 1...so novas rear end are the same length as 1st gen rear end
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 04:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Try www.car-parts.com

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 04:40 AM
Banned
Chet

Certain years of Nova have the right rear end. Do a search on here or on Google and learn all about it. I assume your area has salvage yards? That's where you'll find one. Start researching.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 14, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

According to this article in Car Craft, Nova rear 71 through '74 is an 8.5" and has the same width rear axle as 1st gen camaro. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...t/viewall.html

These year Novas had the multi leafs. You will have to convert to multi leafs, or run the conversion kit if your car has mono-leafs and you want to keep them. Brakes from your existing 8.2" 10 bolt will bolt on to the nova rear, so you can save $ at the junkyard by not buying the brakes or brake drums. At my local yard, they were going to charge extra for the drums so I just removed them and bought the complete rear minus the drums to save $$.

I'm not sure why 75 and later nova doesn't work, I think possibly the later Nova rear is not an 8.5"?

If you poke around the yard, you may get lucky and find an 8.5" with a posi under something else. You can also find lower gears in other cars… and don't forget the 70's-80's 1/2 ton trucks. Lots of them used the 8.5", but they usually have the gov-lok which is worthless, but nonetheless, the trucks are a good source for a performance gearset if you're looking to change gear ratios. The nova rear will likely have some kind of highway gears, such as 2.73.

Hit that link to the car craft article, and scroll down to rear the section titled "the extreme budget 10 bolt". Some good tips in there!

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode