How much clearance is enough? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 14, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

How much clearance is enough?

Been reading for a while and haven't seen an answer to my question yet. I'm in the process of measuring for some new 17's. Car is a 68 with Hotchkis and Bilstein all the way around. How much clearance should I be looking to maintain all the way around.

I have started on the rears. I am simulating a 275/40/17 on a 17 x 9.5 rim with 5.5" backspacing. I have about 0.75" between the rear of the tire and the inboard wheel house. I have about 2.5" clearance all the way around the diameter of the tire. The 2.5" seems like enough but how about the 0.75" to the inside?

Any thoughts on how much clearance to look for up front? Looking to go either 245/45/17 on 17x 8 with 4.75" BS. Might look at a 235/45/17 depending on fit.

I am trying to double and triple check as I will probably end up ordering custom made wheels to get the wheels I want in the sizes I need. I have Bear serious street disc brakes all the way around and am not sure what their effect on wheel position was so I'm measuring my application carefully.

For what it's worth, I'm currently running 235/60/15 all the way around on 15 x 7 YH rally wheels. I have a little rubbing up front on the top of the fender well right at the outside edge of the tire but should be able to smooth that out when I go to the new set up by raising the front end up 1/2 inch if necessary.

Murph

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 14, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: How much clearance is enough?

I can't help with the measurements but I'm waiting to see what response you get about that 3/4 inch

Jeff
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 14, 08:04 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I think you'll be fine if for no other reason than the thin/short sidewalls.
Whats the suspension ? mono ? multi ? coil-overs ?

Look in the tire/wheel combo thread for "what fits".

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 14, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Jeff - Me too. Doug is right that it should be a short pretty straight side wall so we will see.

Doug - Hotchkis 2" drop in front and 1.5" 3 leaf in the rear. Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners. I stayed with my mono shock plates but already know I will need to change those as I can see they will interfere. I have been reading all the fitment threads and that's how I ended up with the wheel and tire sizes I'm checking. I'm just trying to make sure there is nothing different about my car as once I order custom wheels there is no returning them.

Murph

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by murph's 68; Jan 11th, 14 at 08:47 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 14, 10:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

The answer to your question is so important and yet so difficult to get answered. I see you are going to use the set up recommended by DSE as the maximum.

In Mark Stielow's book Pro Touring he said he likes to leave 1/2-inch between tires and any hard parts. Of course his suspension is not stock.

When Driverzinc was in business their web site said for 65 series and higher to use 3/4-inch to the outer fender and 1-inch to the inner fender. For lower profile tires they said 1/2-inch to the outer fender and 3/4-inch to the inner fender was acceptable.

It would be awesome if people would report their measurements and let us know it they get any rubbing. Maybe you could be the first?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 14, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

One more source is Budnik's site. They say the following:

"When determining the inner clearance you should keep a few things in mind. On the front you will want to check tie rod ends, brake calipers, and of course full suspension travel. At the rear, your biggest concern on fat tire vehicles is to allow enough room for body roll and tire carcass shift. Generally, the taller the tire (70 series up to Pro Street), the more side wall flex is likely. Also remember that excessive body roll on cornering will reduce inner clearance, (usually 1" to 1 ˝" of clearance is sufficient). Low profile tires, stiffer suspensions, and anti-roll (sway) bars will allow you a bit of extra width."

This seems to be inline with Driverzinc recommendations.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 14, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Dave - you made me think of an important point here. Use!

The car will be almost 100% street driven. Might see the drag strip once or twice but will probably never be on a road race course. Now that I say those things you know what will happen. Never is an awful long time.

I would like to hear from people with similar combinations and how much clearance they have and if they have any issues.

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 14, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I have 275/40/17 on the rear with a 5.5 b/s 17 x 9.5 rim on my 69. On the inner I have 1/2" - 3/4" clearance. I get an occasional sidewall rub on the inner wheelhouse when entering or exiting a driveway curb cut at angle. I don't consider it to be an issue - just a small smooth shiny spot on the inner wheelhouse. Street only car.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 14, 03:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph's 68 View Post
Dave - you made me think of an important point here. Use!

The car will be almost 100% street driven. Might see the drag strip once or twice but will probably never be on a road race course. Now that I say those things you know what will happen. Never is an awful long time.

I would like to hear from people with similar combinations and how much clearance they have and if they have any issues.

Actually, as BPOS suggests, the biggest issues arise in street driving, particularly going up a driveway at an angle where the rear axle is sharply twisted as compared to the body.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 14, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

While I don't have a curb to get into my driveway, my dad does. Do you suppose I could simulate this by leaving one rear wheel on the ground and jack the other rear wheel up 4-6 inches and check the clearances like that?

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 14, 03:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

i thought that i should give this thread a bump, i asked this question 2 years ago with little response, why is this info such a big secret there is so much information shared on this site why are tire sizes and clearances such a big secret, the dimensions asked about would make it much easier for everyone to determin what back spacing they need to have but for some reason poeple don't want to give out this information, why ?

thanks tom
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 14, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

OK. Did some more homework on the backs tonight. Front wheels are on and on the ground. I had the rear sitting up on jack stands with the wheels off. I jacked up one side while the other side remained on a stand. I was trying to simulate entering a driveway with a curb on an angle. I jacked it up 3" but also noticed the side on the stand went down by 1" so a total of 4" tilt on the axle. The gap went down from 3/4" on the inside to 1/4". I am measuring the tight side as the other side has 1" clearance when the axle was flat.

This weekend I'll pick up the multi-leaf shock plates so I can get the mono's off and make sure that the multi plates solve the shock interference on this wheel size.

Murph

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 14, 11:22 PM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
i thought that i should give this thread a bump, i asked this question 2 years ago with little response, why is this info such a big secret there is so much information shared on this site why are tire sizes and clearances such a big secret, the dimensions asked about would make it much easier for everyone to determin what back spacing they need to have but for some reason poeple don't want to give out this information, why ?

thanks tom
On my 69, 4 1/2 BS 275/60/15 MT ET Streets slight rub on inside tub when going up a drive on a 45 deg angle approx 2- 2 1/2 lowered rear.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 14, 11:52 PM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 482 ZL1 View Post
On my 69, 4 1/2 BS 275/60/15 MT ET Streets slight rub on inside tub when going up a drive on a 45 deg angle approx 2- 2 1/2 lowered rear.
on a 15 by 8 wheel
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 14, 07:44 AM
JB

Murph , I just went thru this as well with my 67, I wound up with 17" x 9-1/2" in rear with a 275/50r17 M&H drag radial. The front is a 17" x 7" with a 225/50r17 hankook ventus v12 tire. I am at stock hight front and rear. I have been driving about 60 miles now with no rub. The inside rear tire is about 3/4 to 7/8" to the inner well.I have not rubbed the outer lip either. I have been across several rurb like entrances with no problem. I have not encountered a 45* yet. But I dont see a problem if it did slightly because I would be moving slow slow and it would only be to the inner upper tire to wheel well. This would be a rare event for me. My rear is a multi leaf as well. I dont think I would tailor my rear tire set up for this rare event unless your drive at home is steep.

Sorry forgot to rear b/s. It is at 5.5" . The front is 4.5" b/s

The front has no rub at all. It does get close at the rear inner part of the tire to the subframe when you turn it lock to lock. But no problem.

My thoughts are you will have to consider how much you lower front and rear if at all. I believe you will be fine with the inner well on the rear with the 17x9.5 5.5 b/s. Just choose your tire wisley. You can look up the tire size on M&H web site to see what I have.

I also only street drive my car as well. And do plan on taking it to the dragstrip. Mostly street. I dont see any problems at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode