American Racing CL200S Fitment - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

American Racing CL200S Fitment

So I am very new to camaros and muscle cars in general. I am looking to put some wheels on the car and the ones I have decided on are these...

http://asp.americanracing.com/wheels...section=wheels

I suppose I'll get them in a 17" size since I don't want them to be too big but also not too small.

That being said, I was thinking 17x8 in the front and 17x9 in the rear assuming that will work. My next question is with that size setup what offset and backspacing do I need to order them in and also what size tires will I be able to run with 1.5" drop in the rear and a 2" drop in the front?

Just trying to make sure I get the right setup since this car will be one that's actually driven on the weekends during Summer.

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Re: American Racing CL200S Fitment

Scratch that, I may want them in 15" instead since I'm not a fan of the big wheels on these cars. I like the smaller wheels and bigger tire look. So, 15x8 and 15x10 (since they don't seem to make a 15x9).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

See my sig for my 67 it has the tire and wheel size along with back space. I run Cragar wheels in 15 inch.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks so much Joe! Any idea what the offset is on the wheels? We have the same suspension setup so I am assuming you don't have any rubbing issues with that setup?

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post
Thanks so much Joe! Any idea what the offset is on the wheels? We have the same suspension setup so I am assuming you don't have any rubbing issues with that setup?
I run button head bolts in the front on the fender bottoms and no issues with the front. I get slight rub in the rear that just started a few weeks ago. I was working on a suspension lean issue and re did the shackle torque by loosing them up letting it sit and moving it up and down and then retorqued.

It helped get most of my lean out but I now have a very slight rub in the right rear over hard bumps. I noticed my rub is due to patch panel in that rear 1/4 that is not trimmed down all the way and also has slight bend. I need to trim it and I think roll it ina little. It's only in about a 3 inch spot. Pretty sure when that is taken care of the rub will be gone.

Back space for my wheels are 4.5 for the rear 15x8 and 4.125 for the front 15x7. I run a 255/60 15 in the rear and 235/60/15 in front.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 11:16 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Chris - I'm glad to see you are looking at made to order wheels. In order to get the right backspacing it's almost the only way to go. I'm going to encourage you to go with the 17" over the 15" wheels for 2 reasons. First look at the 15" sizes available, for the rear it's 15x8 or 15x10 and 10" wide wheels are really pushing things on a 1st gen. Next go look for 15" tires, you'll find fewer and fewer sizes available that are optimal for a 1st gen... If you go 15" wheels 15x8 with 4.75 bs is about all they offer in that wheel.

Now if you get the 17" wheels you can run a 17x9.5 with 5.5" bs in the rear and a 17x8 with 4.75 bs in the front and you'll find dozens of tire manufactures and levels of tires in a variety of sizes to fit your wheels and car. The 17" tire offers a big handling advantage with it's shorter sidewall too.

Take a look at my '69, The 1st 3 shots -

Front: 17x8 (4.75" backspacing) Nitto 555's 235/45-17
Back: 17x9.5 (5.5" backspacing) Nitto 555's 255/45-17

The next 2 are 18" with 35 series and the last one is 15" wheels with 235x60 tires...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00970-800.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	61194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00957-Edit.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	61202   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00929-1200.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	61210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	18inch.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	61218   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00036.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	61226  

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 11:21 AM
andrew

these are 17x8/9 on a '67 i did years ago. backspacing was 4.75" front and 5" rear.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Looked at the link he can get a 15x8 in 4.5 back space. Thinking he can also get the front in a correct back space.

Tire choice is limited for the 15 wheels but personally I love the 15 inch wheel look more myself. Not sure how much more you can fill up the wheel wells on a first gen than this?

I really like the pics above!!! They look great but for me a 15 inch wheel just has that old look I was after.

BTW light and filters have lots to do with how my paint looks. No photo shop on the colors.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

See, personally I REALLY like the look of the 15" wheels on the Camaro. It's not that I don't like the 17" wheels, I just don't like the look as much as the 15". I think what I like about the 15" wheels is that I like that 'big tire' look that it gives the car.

Either way I'm thinking 15x7 front and 15x8 rear with the same size tire setup Joe is running. I've got the Hotchkis 2" drop in the front and 1.5" drop in the rear so I suspect with that setup I shouldn't encounter any rubbing.

Now I realize I may be a little more limited on tires with 15" wheels but honestly this car only gets drive a few times a month (it's never seen rain in it's entire lifetime) when it's nice out so I imagine I won't be going through tires all that fast.

I'm going to contact American Racing now and see how much they want for this setup.

BTW Joe that rear shot of your car with that wheel / tire setup looks stunning! That's exactly the look I am going for!

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I was also hesitant to go with bigger wheels. I had 14" rallys and wanted to keep them, but also wanted to add rear discs and my choices were few. So I ponied up and bought some 17's. 17" seems to be the biggest for me as far as looks go w/o looking out of place. I added late model Corvette/Camaro big(ger) brakes at the same time I did the wheels - pleased with the results.

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 12:45 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

If you are getting a custom backspacing 15x8 get the 4.75 over the 4.5, it's only 1/4" but the 4.75 is a +6 offset which centers the wheel and tire equally in the wheel well. If you are dead set on 15" wheels get them, just realize the handling difference is major, all that sidewall just can't keep up with a low profile tire. I guess this begs the question; just how hard do we actually push our cars in the corners?

One more caution is the 27" tall tire will look way different on a '69 that it does on the '68, it's hard to argue with a picture of Joe's car as it's setup perfect for the wheels and tires he has on it. Just remember it's a '68. In the end it's about what you like best...

Did you see the sticky threads in this forum with the wheel and tire info by year?

...Dennis

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

So should I assume that rear dics are not an option if I go with 15" wheels?

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 12:51 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Here's a sample from the '69 thread... I believe it's the same sizes as Joes. The 4.75 bs in from would have kept the tire off the fender lip in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil B View Post
15x8 4.5" BS at all 4 corners. 255-60-15 rear tires and 235-60-15 front tires. Hotchkis 1907C's up front. Stock rear leaf springs with 1" blocks. Lots of negative camber and button head screws for the front wheelwell trim.

...Dennis

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
If you are getting a custom backspacing 15x8 get the 4.75 over the 4.5, it's only 1/4" but the 4.75 is a +6 offset which centers the wheel and tire equally in the wheel well. If you are dead set on 15" wheels get them, just realize the handling difference is major, all that sidewall just can't keep up with a low profile tire. I guess this begs the question; just how hard do we actually push our cars in the corners?

One more caution is the 27" tall tire will look way different on a '69 that it does on the '68, it's hard to argue with a picture of Joe's car as it's setup perfect for the wheels and tires he has on it. Just remember it's a '68. In the end it's about what you like best...

Did you see the sticky threads in this forum with the wheel and tire info by year?
I don't think this car will ever see any sort of hard cornering. It's more of a cruiser / fast in a straight line car for me. I don't have any intentions of auto crossing it or trying to make it handle exceptionally well. There's better cars for that in my opinion.

I didn't realize the '68 has different wheel wells than the '69. I knew that in '69 they changed the body quite a bit but the wheel wells still appear to be the same size. Are the wheel wells / arches that much different from '68 to '69?

I'll check out that sticky right now. The look Joe has is the look I am going for, I just want to make sure I get the right sizes to make it look like that on my '69.

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 14, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Here's a sample from the '69 thread... I believe it's the same sizes as Joes. The 4.75 bs in from would have kept the tire off the fender lip in the front.
So, from what I gather I should be running 4.75" backspacing in both the front and rear on the '69?

I guess that sort of makes sense since the '69 seems to have wider fenders than the earlier years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode