1969 Wheel and Tire Combo's ... 15" Dia. Wheels Only - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 14, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

1969 Wheel and Tire Combo's ... 15" Dia. Wheels Only

Hi All
Been looking for 15" wheel/ Tire combinations for my 69 SSRS Coupe for that “Old School Look”
I have to search thru 16" - 18" Wheel/ Tire posts to find a 15" diameter to Look at.

If you could Post Wheel size, Back Space, Tire Size, Stock Shock Location and Stock Leaf Location
or
Any Mods like Shock Relocation or Mini Tub’s.

I will be relocating my Shocks inboard, just ordered the Smith Racecraft kit. I have my Car on a Rotisserie so now is the Time to do this.

Thanks
Timmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 14, 04:43 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: 1969 Wheel and Tire Combo's ... 15" Dia. Wheels Only

I think what you will find is that fewer and fewer companies are making 15 inch tires. Most are making 16 plus. The 15s will then cost more. If you are going with an old school 15/7 rallye Wheel you will probably have to pay for those wheels. I always used the BFG Radial T/A. But I think they are not being made now. If you are going with an aftermarket wheel, you would hardly notice a 16 or even 17 inch Wheel.
I use Tirerack.com. They have an app where you can ?"Try on" wheels and tire combos and simply change the wheel od. The tire sidewall gets smaller and the wheel bigger. You can see how it will look with your car. You can even use the color of the car you have.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 14, 06:10 PM
Team Member
Randy

http://simpletire.com/catalog/tires#...TireSizeRim:15
This link has a pretty good selection of 15 inch white letter tires.

My 69 Camaro build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 14, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by french69ssrs View Post
Hi All
Been looking for 15" wheel/ Tire combinations for my 69 SSRS Coupe for that “Old School Look”
I have to search thru 16" - 18" Wheel/ Tire posts to find a 15" diameter to Look at.

If you could Post Wheel size, Back Space, Tire Size, Stock Shock Location and Stock Leaf Location
or
Any Mods like Shock Relocation or Mini Tub’s.

I will be relocating my Shocks inboard, just ordered the Smith Racecraft kit. I have my Car on a Rotisserie so now is the Time to do this.

Thanks
Timmy

For Stock rear you can go 15x8 on a 4.5 BS and fit a 275/60/15 Tyres.

482 New ZL1 Block
HR 250 @ 50 107 Lobe SEP
Pro Systems 4150
AFR 315s 11.3:1 Ported 163 Manifold
Auto gear M22W 410 12 Bolt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

My 69 came with and still has on the front Weld Racing Draglite 15”x7” Mag wheels with B.F. Goodrich P205/65 R15 92T M&S tires. On the rear Weld Racing Draglite 15”x9” Mag wheels with Hankook P265/50 R15 99S M&S tires. The rears are a snug fit but no rubbing or tire damage, the upper lips on the rear quarter panels have been relieved a bit. When I wear them out, I'm planning on changing the tires (and possibly the rims but not sure yet) so the outside tire diameter will be closer to or even slightly larger than the stock diameter it was originally born with.

The Hankook P265/50 R15 rear tires have an outside diameter (when new) of 25.4" which comes out to 818 revolutions per a mile and 3,325 rpm's at 65 mph. The original as born with tires had an outside diameter of 26.6" which comes out to 781 revolutions per mile and 3,063 rpm's at 65 mph. Hankook has a 295/50 R15 tire that has an outside diameter of 26.6" BUT it is too wide to fit without major surgery. With the as born with 3.73 gears in the rear, lowering the revolutions per mile or rpm's at highway cruise is definitely something I find favor with.

If/when I change the rear tires, I would also change the front tires (once they were worn enough or if the new rear tires make the look with the existing fronts unacceptable). For the rear tires I'm thinking BF Goodrich Radial T/A 255/60 R15 with an outside diameter of 27.1” which is only a half inch larger than the as born with diameter with 769 revolutions per mile and 3,006 rpm's at 65 mph and with the same tread width as the Hankook's I have now.

For the front's I've narrowed it down to a couple of possibilities. The first would be the BF Goodrich Radial T/A P215/65 R15 which is just over an inch smaller diameter than the rear tires would be, but a wider tread at 7.50" and I've read others that have reported that they ran them just fine up front with no rubbing issues. The second front tire option would be the BF Goodrich Radial T/A P215/70 R15 which is only two tenths of an inch smaller in diameter than the new rear tires would be, but a one inch narrower tread width of 6.50" than the first new front tire option, so I'm leaning towards the first option right now for the extra contact area they would provide.

As far as rims/wheels go, if/when I change them, I'd go with a set of aftermarket reproduction Rally Wheels but chrome plated rather than painted so that the trim rings would not be necessary and only center caps would need be used with them for a very similar appearance to the original Rally wheel look but with a bit more shine!

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi Guy’s
All good stuff, I am not ready right yet for Wheels and Tires as I’m still in the “Bottom’s up” with my Car in the Rotisserie, I am getting close to finishing with what I had to Plug/ Reweld for the Floor Pan and underside for some things done not to my liking.
My Old School look is going to be with the Goodyear Polyglas GT, I’m looking at like a F60-15 on Cragar SS, so that is why I am looking for a 15” Wheel, I have the set of “YH” Rally’s but they are 7” wide.
Brian, I am with you on the Larger Tire sizes going away, there is always Coker and Vintage. I will probably have a set of something to Burn off but will be on the Polyglas GT’s for cruising.
Scott, that’s a ton of great info, I will look at these sizes too. The Polyglas is 26 ¼” dia. With so many Tire Aspect/ Ratios, it gets crazy trying to see what someone has that fits. Did you relocate your Shocks or is your Back End Stock? Your Front Tire info is helpful too.
And I’m running a 4.11 gear now and also swapping out the 350 SB to a 427 BBC so I will live with the gear (not going on any Long Trips this year and If I do, I’ll just have to watch the Rev’s and Fill up sooner) until I can do another few projects next Winter 3.55’s have the Trans upgraded – Just getting this 15 year old “Backbruner Restoration” this far is great and my Wife made ma sell her 88 IROC 5spd Convert and put the Money into the 69.
There were 2 other 69s I know ran 15x10”s in High School, a 69 327 Ragtop and my Friends SSRS 396 4 spd, both with L60-15’s. We knew nothing about Shock Relocation or Spring Offsets, HiJackers and some Dunlop’s.
Thanks, Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4104.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	62185  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Torq Thrust II's with BF Goodrich radial T/A's
Front 15/7/4.25bs, 215/65/15 (26"OD)
Rear 15/10/5.25bs, 275/60/15 (28" OD)
2" mini tub, shocks relocated inside, rear narrowed 2", caltracs
Shackles offset 1/2", but probably didn't need too
Quarter lip trimmed a little bit
Suspension has settled about 1" lower than these pictures, actual stance has fender and quarter lips just below thread by 1/4". No rubbing anywhere.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnide View Post
Torq Thrust II's with BF Goodrich radial T/A's
Front 15/7/4.25bs, 215/65/15 (26"OD)
Rear 15/10/5.25bs, 275/60/15 (28" OD)
2" mini tub, shocks relocated inside, rear narrowed 2", caltracs
Shackles offset 1/2", but probably didn't need too
Quarter lip trimmed a little bit
Suspension has settled about 1" lower than these pictures, actual stance has fender and quarter lips just below thread by 1/4". No rubbing anywhere.

Mike, that is one stunning 69 you have there, my buddy has a 68 dressed in very similar colors. Really enjoyed the photos of yours.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Timmy, my backed is all stock, nothing relocated or changed other than a bit of the upper quarter panel lip relieved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode