What size wheels does the 69 Camaro have? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 14, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

What size wheels does the 69 Camaro have?

Okay, so I'm new to Camaros and I've been doing a ton of research particularly on this site...
http://www.camaros.org/options.shtml

One thing I am trying to figure out is what size the wheels are on a 69 Camaro SS. I know there were a few different wheel options but here is a picture of my Camaro so you can see what kind of wheels it has...

From what I understand I believe that I have the Rally wheels, correct?

I've heard some cars had these in 14" and others had them in 15". My car is in the body shop getting some very small things done to it so I can't look at the wheels right now to see what size they are unfortunately (I just bought the car not very long ago).

Anyways, assuming I have the 14" wheels I think instead of going with aftermarket wheels I may just upgrade to the same wheels but in a 15" size since I actually like the look of these wheels (unless I have 15" ones already).

That leads me to my next question. Who makes a good reproduction of the factory 15" wheels? I don't mind reproductions as long as they're very good ones and very accurate. I would assume the factory 15" wheels would be 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the rear but you tell me.

As you can tell I'm very new to the Camaro game so any input is appreciated! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 14, 11:56 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Re: What size wheels does the 69 Camaro have?

Yes you do have rally wheels. They are either 14x7 or 15x8. I have heard that only the z/28s came factory with 15's. I haven't done the research to see if that is true though. The reproduction ones that i have gotten over the years were always really close to if not perfect. I assume that because these were on so many cars, they make quite a bit of them, so they are always pretty decent. Although if you do order them, keep your receipt, and check them for roundness. I ordered a set once that were soooo bent that they couldn't be balanced. I have bought several sets from different manufacturers, but it has been a while since i have bought any. I believe Heartbeat City sells them, along with the other major suppliers, Year One, NPD.

1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 3.70
1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 4.10
1967 RS Camaro Convertible 327 4 speed 3.73
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks for that info! I'll have to find out if mine are 14" or 15" when I get the car back. I'll start looking for some 15" ones just incase. I was going to go with an aftermarket wheel but to be honest the stock wheels have grown on me quite a bit.

Another thing I find odd. Look at the wheels in my car. The rear ones have much more lip / dish to them than the front ones. I've seen other camaros and they have the same size lip / dish on both front and rear wheels. Is this factory or what?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PumpinIron; Feb 5th, 14 at 12:36 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 02:08 AM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post
Thanks for that info! I'll have to find out if mine are 14" or 15" when I get the car back. I'll start looking for some 15" ones just incase. I was going to go with an aftermarket wheel but to be honest the stock wheels have grown on me quite a bit.

Another thing I find odd. Look at the wheels in my car. The rear ones have much more lip / dish to them than the front ones. I've seen other camaros and they have the same size lip / dish on both front and rear wheels. Is this factory or what?
Looks like your fronts are 15x7 and rears are 15x8 4.5 BS which gives you a bit of a dish
this is not how it came from the factory but if you have decent power that's what you need.

482 New ZL1 Block
HR 250 @ 50 107 Lobe SEP
Pro Systems 4150
AFR 315s 11.3:1 Ported 163 Manifold
Auto gear M22W 410 12 Bolt

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 03:57 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Chris - The factory Rally wheels with trim rings and caps have a classic look that never gets old for some reason. There are some very nice rims out there to choose from but my heart is always on the Rally's. 14x7 were the standard 15x7 for Z-28. All the places sell reproductions and some places sell the steel based originals so if you want to keep them but have all four match size you should be able to find what you need.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 04:47 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Chris,

Here is another link to help explain what wheels Camaros originally came with. http://camaros.org/suspen.shtml#Wheels It's a very confusing subject, because First Gen Camaros now days have so many combinations, original sizes, different backspacing, and Rallys from other model cars. I spent days researching it. It looks like you have 15 X 7s on the front and 15 X 8s from a Corvette on the back. 14 X7 would have been standard for the 69 SS.

I have no experience with the aftermarket Rallys, I never owned any. I've heard a lot of issues with balance and they're not hub centric. Another option is used original Rallys. They are plentiful out there, but be careful what you're buying, there are a lot of trashed wheels out there repainted and misrepresented.

Good luck.

Brian

'67 SS/RS 350, Muncie M20, Black with black interior.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 07:45 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

First what's on your car, the deep dish in the rear is the result of a small back spacing which pushes the wheel away from the car. From your picture, your rears are probably 15x8 with somewhere around 3.75" - 4" backspacing. They might even be 15x10's to get that deep dish! If there is room for your fingers, feel the fender lip (don't cut yourself), I bet it's been trimmed or rolled to keep the tire from being damaged.

Your fronts on the other hand are probably 15x6 because they look extremely flat (lacking any dish). This gives a bit of a drag race look with big tall tires in the rear and narrow tires up front. This look can also be achieved with 14" wheels although 15's are the more common replacement on these cars. If nothing rubs and the car drives the way you want it to and you like the look go with it...

The '69 SS and most other '69 Camaros came from the factory with 14" wheels, the Z/28 got 15x7 with 4 1/4" backspacing (+6 offset) wheels. Before '69 the Z/28's got 15x6" wheels I believe.

Use the '69 Z28 wheel with it's +6 offset as the ideal for centering the wheel and tire in the wheel well. Check this link out for lots of fitment info and a chart showing you wheel size, back spacing and offset info. https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks for all the info guys. When I get the car back I'll check to see if the fenders are rolled. The car doesn't rub at all though so whatever the setup is it must have been done correctly.

So I assume that around this time you could get other cars with Rallye wheels as well? I only ask that because one of you mentioned I might have Corvette wheels I the back.

Assuming the wheels are 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the rear is 1 extra inch plus some back spacing really enough to create all that extra dish in the back? From looking at the pictures not knowing anything at all it would look like I had 15x10s in the rear or something.

Now I am anxious to get the car back and see what I have on there. The guy who restored the car put these wheels on. He was a really legit guy though so whatever he did it couldn't have been anything bad.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 10:52 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yes Chris the Kelsey-Hayes Rally wheel was a Chevrolet "trademark" and was available on most Chevrolet sports cars from the mid 1960's to the mid 1970's. These models included Chevy II/Nova, Corvette, Camaro, and Chevelle including El Camino and station wagons.

I have also seen them grafted to other GM division products by owners who liked the look.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks for clarifying that! I suppose then it is possible I have some wheels from other Chevy models and maybe that accounts for the super wide ones in the rear.

I can see why people like these wheels. They have grown on me substantially since I bought the car!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Dug this up from the Chevelle site - can't vouch for its accuracy (nor spelling). When you get the car back, look for the codes near the valve stem(?) and possibly figure out what you have. My guess is that the rears are 15 x 8 Corvette.

XA 14X5 B-3 1/2 67 Chevy II with drum brakes
DA 14X5 B-3 7/8 67 Chevy II RALLY with disc brakes
DG 14X6 67 Camero & Chevelle with dics brakes
XB 14X6 B-4 3/8 67 Chevelle SS, 68-69 Chevelle with F-70 Tires, 70 Chevelle
XN 14X6 B-3 3/4 68-69 Camero & Nova with drum brakes. Different shaped outer
AE 14X6 B-4 3/8 70 Chevelle Station Wagon
XG 14X6 B-3 7/8 68-69 Camero with dics brakes, 68-70 Chevy II/ Nova with disc brakes, 69-69 El Camino without disc brakes. Wider drop center than normal
DE 14X6 B-4 3/8 71-72 Nova & Chevelle, 6 hole wheels
YW 14X6 B-4 3/8 Exactly like XB, may have come on same cars
YJ 14X7 B-4 3/8 69 Camero/ Chevy II L72- ZL1, 70 Nova
AV 14X7 70-72 Camero, 71-72 Nova, 6 hole wheel
XT 14X7 L72- ZL1 Non Rally Wheel
YA 14X7 B-4 3/8 69 Chevelle SS Wheel
AO 14X7 B-4 3/8 70 Camero &69 Chevelle SS Wheel
DB 15X5 67 Passenger Cars with disc brakes.
DF 15X6 B-4 1/16 67-68 Camero Z28
DC (BIG) 15X6 B-3 1/2 67 Corvette, No other stampings on rim
DC 15X6 B-3 1/2 68-70 Passenger car, 67 Passenger car (early models)
FI 15X6 B-3 1/2 68-70 Passenger car, 67 Passenger car (later models) Rivited instead of welded together
YS 15X6 B-3 1/2 68-70 El Camino
FW 15X7 B-4 1/4 71-up most any GM
AG 15X7 B-3 3/4 68 Corvette (will take 15x8 Beauty rings)
YH 15X7 B-4 1/4 L72- ZL1 Z28 Rally 69 narrow drop center
AD 15X7 B-4 1/4 L72- ZL1 Z28 Rally 68 wide drop center
AV 15X7 70, 71, 73 CAMARO Z28 5 spoke wheel
AZ 15X8 B-4 69-82 Corvette

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Now that is incredibly helpful! I figured there had to be some sort of identifying marks on the wheels. I wonder how accurate that chart is... Oh well, something is better than nothing!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 01:22 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Look at the sizes listed... If you have 15x10 they are aftermarket or custom cut and widened. Chances are if you have aftermarket in the rear you have aftermarket in the front too... There are a couple combos you could pull off that list but it would be hard finding most of them in real GM wheels as these are all about 40 years old...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 02:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I have heard that the FW code 15x7 wheels are fairly close to the YH Z28 wheels. What the difference is I don't really know. I bought a set of FW's from a guy that were used on a Monte Carlo and those worked well with no issues. Those are probably the most common I think.

What happened to American Racing 200's? Are you still going after those as well?

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28 View Post
I have heard that the FW code 15x7 wheels are fairly close to the YH Z28 wheels. What the difference is I don't really know. I bought a set of FW's from a guy that were used on a Monte Carlo and those worked well with no issues. Those are probably the most common I think.

What happened to American Racing 200's? Are you still going after those as well?
I may still get the 200S wheels and have two sets (the wheels already on the car and the 200S wheels). However, I've grown quite fond of these stock wheels (especially with the wider ones in the back (I love that stance) so I'm not sure. $1000 for wheels could be better spent in other areas of the car. The car is cherry inside and out, however, I'm itching to replace that 350 with something bigger with some more power.

The car has a very nice 700R4 transmission in it that was built to handle upwards of 600hp.

The motors I'm currently looking at are as follows...

http://www.unitedracingengines.com/s...omplete/Detail
http://www.unitedracingengines.com/s...evy-406/Detail

I wonder if 500+ horsepower will be enough for me. I don't know what 500+ horsepower feels like in a muscle car. I'm coming from BMW M3s and what not so it's a different kind of power.

I just want something that will be fast as hell on the street since it's not a drag car or race car by any means.

I know everyone will tell me to drop in an LSx motor but I'm a sucker for the old school. I like the fact that it's carbureted with none of the nonsense sensors and electronics of modern day motors. Not that there's anything wrong with that by any means, but I like the simplicity of being able to work on the motor and not have to worry about sensors, ECUs, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode