Rally Wheels, Trim Rings and Caps - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Rob

Rally Wheels, Trim Rings and Caps

I believe that I have (2) 15x7 and (2) 15x8 rally wheels, trim rings and caps.

I'm thinking of selling them.

1) Should I sell as complete package, and if so what would be a good selling price?
2) How can I tell if the trim rings and caps are OE's, or service replacements?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 06:22 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Rally Wheels, Trim Rings and Caps

Caps will have a part number inside.

Rings do not - they had a paper tag inside the poly bag of the boxed service replacements and over the counter parts versions. Factory rings fall into first design with only four so called "suicide clips" and post recall/redesign mid 69 that has fingers all the way around. Different valve stem hole treatment over the years. There is also different reveal on the edge bead between Corvette and Camaro/Chevelle rings. Several great posts on trim rings including GM part numbers over the years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Rob

Thanks for the response. So based on a search, I have the original suicide type trim rings. Can you tell from the photo if these are Vette trim rings or Camaro/Chevelle Rings? Are the suicide rings more valuable that post/recall rings?

What is the correct cap part number?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Looks like original stuff. Vette rings are rounded around the outer edge (front side), Camaro is stepped. Might just be an optical illusion, but the trim ring looks quite deep, so w/o seeing the front side, I'd guess Corvette. The number in cap is a casting number of the center ornament. There is no number on the outer stainless cover/disc.

Condition is vital when estimating a value. Often, being diecast, the center ornament becomes pitted. Dings in the stainless can be difficult to repair. Stainless was flash chromed, so extensive polishing will remove it. To the purist restorer, the original style trim ring clips are very desirable.

15x8 is Corvette. Check the codes by the valve stem hole...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 14, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Rob

Rally Wheels, Trim Rings and Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Looks like original stuff. Vette rings are rounded around the outer edge (front side), Camaro is stepped. Might just be an optical illusion, but the trim ring looks quite deep, so w/o seeing the front side, I'd guess Corvette. The number in cap is a casting number of the center ornament. There is no number on the outer stainless cover/disc.

Condition is vital when estimating a value. Often, being diecast, the center ornament becomes pitted. Dings in the stainless can be difficult to repair. Stainless was flash chromed, so extensive polishing will remove it. To the purist restorer, the original style trim ring clips are very desirable.

15x8 is Corvette. Check the codes by the valve stem hole...

Thanks. I found the codes and have 2 AZ and 2 AG wheels. All 4 trim rings are the original style, and are in excellent condition as are the caps. The black paint on the caps are near perfect. The rims are typical I would say for having tires mounted on and off for years. The trim rings have a little step on them. The trim rings would need IMO a hand polish to make them just about brand new.

See attached pictures.

Based on the pictures, what would be the value? Would would sell as a complete set, or offer them per piece?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 14, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

AZ is Corvette 15x8.

1969 Z28

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 14, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

AG is Corvette too - 15 x 7.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 14, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Rob

BTW, these were installed on my Z for about 10 years. April 2001

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 14, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

I think the rings are Vette also. Certainly don't look like Camaro rings. Are all 4 the same and what is the depth measurement ?

I'd say the caps are worth $35-50 a piece, maybe bit more if they're near perfect. You can check ebay for current prices.

I've seen AZ coded rims advertised for $100 ea....don't know if they commonly sell for that or not ??

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Price new ones and then add 20% for original. Repop wheels are about $65 each, trim rings $75 a set and caps $125 a set. I would sell as a set polish them up and paint the wheels.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Rob

Wow, Hearbeat City and Ricks priced the 4-clip trim rings @ $299 ea, and the caps @ $281 ea.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 14, 12:24 PM
Premium Member
Gordon

Thinking of getting 15 X 7 rallyes and new BFG 225/60/15 tires.

Are FW code wheel sets the way to go? Got one guy advertising on eBay a set refurbished with trim rings and caps for $549 plus $159 shipping (ouch!)

Ricks has a repop set with caps and rings for $599 plus $52 shipping.

Which set would you go for....the original FW wheels or Rick's repops?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eBay rallye wheels and rings.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	68682  

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 14, 01:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordr View Post
Thinking of getting 15 X 7 rallyes and new BFG 225/60/15 tires.

Are FW code wheel sets the way to go? Got one guy advertising on eBay a set refurbished with trim rings and caps for $549 plus $159 shipping (ouch!)

Ricks has a repop set with caps and rings for $599 plus $52 shipping.

Which set would you go for....the original FW wheels or Rick's repops?
Yes, if you are not worried about being a "correct" for first gen car. I don't remember the EXACT specs, but the FW and the YH wheel (which came original on the 69Z) are within a 1/4 inch (maybe less) in the offset.

Too bad you are so far away. I am trying to sell four FW rims with almost new 65 series tires, and can't get a nibble. http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/4369405704.html

It isn't worth it to me to break them down and sell separately, or to ship them.
But, there are many old FW wheels available for cheap.

I would not under any circumstances use an aftermarket wheel. I do not believe they are hub centric. I don't care what some tard says, your car came with hub centric wheels. There is a reason. Heck, even my 49 Studebaker truck has hub centric wheels. Do you really want to drive around with technology inferior to what was being used by a now dead car company back in 1949????

Lynn
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 14, 01:33 PM
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Yes, if you are not worried about being a "correct" for first gen car. I don't remember the EXACT specs, but the FW and the YH wheel (which came original on the 69Z) are within a 1/4 inch (maybe less) in the offset.

Too bad you are so far away. I am trying to sell four FW rims with almost new 65 series tires, and can't get a nibble. http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/4369405704.html

It isn't worth it to me to break them down and sell separately, or to ship them.
But, there are many old FW wheels available for cheap.

I would not under any circumstances use an aftermarket wheel. I do not believe they are hub centric. I don't care what some tard says, your car came with hub centric wheels. There is a reason. Heck, even my 49 Studebaker truck has hub centric wheels. Do you really want to drive around with technology inferior to what was being used by a now dead car company back in 1949????
Yes, Lynn, too bad we're so far away. If I was close by I would have bought the set and separated and sold tires myself. Am inclined to go hub-centric as per originality. So, that refurbished eBay set looks appealing. Will check around more, of course. I've got the "disc brake" caps but one is scratched so might work around that and see if I can get just one cap, and then trim rings and FW wheels.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode