Do affordable non-torque-thrust wheels exist? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Do affordable non-torque-thrust wheels exist?

My wheel rant...

I know...I know..."affordable" is a relative term.

There are definitely some options for wheels in the $150-$250 (per wheel) price range but it seems like they are ALL spin-offs of the torque thrust design.

It's like this is the only wheel option for a "budget shopper".

Don't get me wrong, the torque thrust is a timeless classic and a great looking wheel but it's just so common these days and I would like to find something different, but that is proving to be quite challenging when you're on a budget.

Forgeline is obviously one of the top of the line wheel manufacturers and they have some AMAZING wheel designs but...$3k, $4k or $5k+ for wheels?...no thank you. I'm just a weekend cruiser and cannot afford nor warrant that cost for wheels.

I'm sure the ultimate answer here is...INCREASE YOUR BUDGET...and that is fine but it just amazes me that there is not a single wheel mfg producing a cast, single-piece wheel similar to a popular Forgeline design, and available in the sizes and backspacings for our chevy musclecars.

If there is, I have not found them, and I have been looking A LOT.
TSW is probably the closest I have found but their backspacing options are so limited.

I'm looking for the following sizes:
Front: 17x8 with 4.75" backspacing, 5x4.75" bolt pattern
Rear: 17x9.5 with 5.5" backspacing, 5x4.75" bolt pattern

End of rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: Do affordable non-torque-thrust wheels exist?

I can't tell you if they carry the back space you want...maybe a speacial order? But look at American and Cragar. They make wheels that look nothing like the torque thrust wheels. Cragar has the SS style and some vintage styles like the Elminator and American has Salt Flats and 17 inch Camaro/SS or Magnum styled wheels. you can get steele soft 8's from Cragar which look pretty cool depending on the car. You can also go with 17 in rally wheels and some other styles are offered out there....just can't remeber the brand making them.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Check out the MB Old School @ discounttiredirect.com or the B&G Rod Works Old School @ performanceplustire.com. They come in the sizes you are looking for and are priced right. Both places offer free shipping and will throw in free mounting and balancing if you buy a package. I've got them on my lowered 69 with no issues and I think they look great, decent quality too.

And this too shall pass.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 X11 SS, Glacier Blue, LS3 480, T56 Mag, Lots of stuff done to it, all by yours truly
Build thread:

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The "Old School" wheels have actually been my front runner pick for some time now as the price is very right and they have my exact sizes. My ONLY issue with them is that they have that torque thrust look to them. I have a strong feeling that I will end up with these wheels but I just wanted to see if anyone could recommend something that perhaps I have not found yet.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I've done a lot of looking as well, slim pickens in those exact sizes. Thats why I ended up with the Old Schools. I didn't want to spend so much on wheels that I'd feel like I was stuck with them. For the cost of the Old Schools I feel like I can do something different if something better comes along. And they fit perfect, form follows function right?

And this too shall pass.

69 X11 SS, Glacier Blue, LS3 480, T56 Mag, Lots of stuff done to it, all by yours truly
Build thread:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 11:35 PM
Senior Tech

I have looked at and like the coys c-67 they are a good looking wheel but have heard of some quality issues with the wheels reming me of the old transam days

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

'00 Sierra ext. cab 5.3l intake best run 15.89

2000 grand prix GTP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 14, 04:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Those MB Old School's look like a very good deal if the quality is ok. I have a set of Foose Legends on my '67, very similar look, but the Old Schools are about half the price.

TSW makes some affordable wheels that have a more modern look, but the offset is wrong on most of them. But then you'd need to buy a high quality spacer to make them fit.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 14, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I went through the same thing and ended up keeping my $125 set of Vette wheels with flat caps. . . . and oddly enough not to many cars out there with all 4 15x8's, that's only 1 inch on top and 1 inch on the bottom with 225/60 and 245/60's and I get a lot of positive comments. . . .just an old guy talkin!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 14, 03:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Found these on CL today, good price but they are TT's

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/4376087683.html

SB 406/700r4/3.55 posi/Hotchkis Stage 2 TVS/Delphi 600 Series PS Box/Holley Terminator EFI
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 14, 10:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

While you may want to venture away from the AR Torq Thrust II's in order to have something different, I just bought a set of TT II's with your measurements for a total of $770.00 including shipping and a set of Lug Nuts! They are way below the competition and have many other wheel types available. Check out the eBay item number I purchased mine from: 271427640583. Dealer is Rocky Top Customs, eBay name of 865americantire.
Also bought the Nitto 555 Tires (555's 235/45 17's and 255/45 17's) from Custom Wheel Outlet on eBay for $522.00 shipped.
Total Cost Wheels & Tires: $1,292.00. Will need to add another $100 for local mounting and balancing, plus a front end alignment.

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 14, 01:19 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

The reason that those wheels cost so much is because they are truly 1 piece wheels, cnc'ed

1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 3.70
1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 4.10
1967 RS Camaro Convertible 327 4 speed 3.73
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode