Tire leaking air through weld in rim. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Justin

Tire leaking air through weld in rim.

I have a 68 Camaro with American Racing Torq Thrust II rims. The drivers side front has a slow leak. Today I determined it is actually leaking through the weld in the rim not through the tire. Is this fixable or should I plan on buying a new rim.

Thanks in advance.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 10:27 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Re: Tire leaking air through weld in rim.

What about a tube?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 10:33 AM
Tech Team
Lars

Have fixed something similar once!
Cast Alu Wheels leaking in the Casting!

I used a small drillbit on the leakage halfway thru!
And then Injectors superglue with a needle!

It did work!

Larsperformance

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

If it was a manufacturing defect, I would take a close look at the welds. A front wheel is nothing to mess with. Could it have been damages by a pot hole or another "jarring" type of hit. The tube is a sure fix. If the wheels are older it should not have just started to leak, it would have leaked from the beginning. A few things to consider.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Justin

I purchased the car in November and the tire always had the slow leak from the time I bought it. I know I personally never hit any pot holes or did anything else that could have damaged the rim. It has spent most of the time covered up in my garage over the long winter and I have only gotten it out for a few drives since I purchased it. Like you say a front wheel is nothing to mess with so I will probably just buy a new rim for peace of mind. If I do buy a new rim I'm concerned it will be noticeably newer looking than the other three that are on the car now even though they are in good condition. I guess I'll polish up the three old ones and see how it looks.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 12:09 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Maybe you can have the wheel magnafluxed to identify the extent of damage. Check with local wheel and tire shops to find out where to get a wheel repaired in your area. In todays litigation happy world replace the wheel if a wheel repair shop says it's not something they want to do. Plugging a leak will stop the air from escaping but it won't stop the wheel from a critical failure at hwy speed...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Justin

Do the American Racing Torq Thrust II rims have a part number marked on them anywhere. I want to make sure I order the exact same rim that is on the car now.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

JB weld.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

After you verify it is not cracked, just clean well with a small wire brush & sandpaper, then apply some silicone gasket maker to the inside of the wheel.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 04:59 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Yes, have it tested professionally. Maybe at a welding shop ?
If it's not detrimental to the soundness of the wheel...could have it TIG'd ? or as above clean, sand, and JB weld epoxy.

No sense risking you, your car, or someone else's life over cosmetics of the looks of 1 wheel being "newer looking".

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 08:41 AM
Premium Member
Gordon

There's a place here in BC, Canada, http://www.interiorwheelrepair.com/ that handles wheel repairs. If you can find a similar place in your area you can have them inspect and likely repair where the slow leak is coming from.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech

Don't know where you are in PA, but a former friend used there guys at least once a year on one or more of his crappy black Audis. The wheel repair guys did an amazing job, and I want to say I have seen this or other franchises at least as far west as York an Harrisburg.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccsvcs.html

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Justin

I decided I'm going to get a new rim then see if I can have the leaking rim fixed and just store it in the garage. I'm having a hard time figuring out if my rims are polished aluminum or chrome. I'm leaning toward polished aluminum because the reflection is a little dull. Also I checked them with a magnet and they are not magnetic. Does anyone know if chrome plating would be magnetic or does anyone have any advice on how to know for sure. When I called to check pricing they said the chrome rims only come with 4 inch back spacing but the polished aluminum come with either 3.75 back spacing or 4.25 back spacing. If my rims are polished aluminum I will have to pull the tire off and check the back spacing. If they are chrome I can just order the rim. At least according to the sales rep. Rims are 15 x 7.

Here are some pics:

By the way Eric I'm near Philadelphia. I'll check out the link you gave me and see if they are close by. I still want to get the leaking rim fixed even though I am getting a new one.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Look like polished aluminum to me.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 12:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime1971 View Post
I decided I'm going to get a new rim then see if I can have the leaking rim fixed and just store it in the garage. I'm having a hard time figuring out if my rims are polished aluminum or chrome. I'm leaning toward polished aluminum because the reflection is a little dull. Also I checked them with a magnet and they are not magnetic. Does anyone know if chrome plating would be magnetic or does anyone have any advice on how to know for sure. When I called to check pricing they said the chrome rims only come with 4 inch back spacing but the polished aluminum come with either 3.75 back spacing or 4.25 back spacing. If my rims are polished aluminum I will have to pull the tire off and check the back spacing. If they are chrome I can just order the rim. At least according to the sales rep. Rims are 15 x 7.

Here are some pics:

By the way Eric I'm near Philadelphia. I'll check out the link you gave me and see if they are close by. I still want to get the leaking rim fixed even though I am getting a new one.
you can also try wheel works in Burlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by realz69 View Post
What about a tube?
you should not put a tube in a tubeless tire.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode