Rally Wheel Advice (Fitment) - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 14, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Jerry

Rally Wheel Advice (Fitment)

I have a set of rally wheels that came with the car when I purchased it back in '89 that I've always wanted to put on. I finally got them out of storage and was going over the measurements. Maybe someone can give me some advice to see if this setup will work.

I have four 15" x 8" all with 4.25 Backspacing. I would like to attempt to use the tires I have on the car now:

Front - 215/65R15
Back - 275/60R15.

Car is stock height. But would also like to consider dropping it down a little in the future. I have stock disc brakes up front only.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've read many posts showing the optimum measurements, but none seemed to match my specs. Which has me fearful that this may not work.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 14, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Rally Wheel Advice (Fitment)

The 215"s are a bit small for an 8" rim but the 275's should work.

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 14, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

7.5" wheel is max for the 215's. I'd go with a wider tire or smaller wheel in the front.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermahin View Post
I have a set of rally wheels that came with the car when I purchased it back in '89 that I've always wanted to put on. I finally got them out of storage and was going over the measurements. Maybe someone can give me some advice to see if this setup will work.

I have four 15" x 8" all with 4.25 Backspacing. I would like to attempt to use the tires I have on the car now:

Front - 215/65R15
Back - 275/60R15.

Car is stock height. But would also like to consider dropping it down a little in the future. I have stock disc brakes up front only.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've read many posts showing the optimum measurements, but none seemed to match my specs. Which has me fearful that this may not work.

Thanks
What year ?
It won't work on the back needs more backspacing .
for the front that's a big wheel!

482 New ZL1 Block
HR 250 @ 50 107 Lobe SEP
Pro Systems 4150
AFR 315s 11.3:1 Ported 163 Manifold
Auto gear M22W 410 12 Bolt

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Jerry

It's a '67 sorry. I was concerned about the back as well. Looks like I may be replacing the wheels. Not worth trying to make it work if it's not the proper setup.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

When I ran Ralley wheels on my 67 RS I had 15x6 with 3.5 backspacing with 215/70-15 B.F. Goodrich tires for the front. On the rear I had 15x8 with 4" backspacing with 255/60-15 B.F. Goodrich TA's. The wheel bolt pattern was 5x4 3/4.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 07:24 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:

Front - 215/65R15
Back - 275/60R15.

Thanks
How do you know they are 15x8" with 4.25" backspacing? If you measured the overall width from outer edge to outer edge and got 8" then it's a 7" wide wheel. The width is measured from the inside edges of the wheel lips. Ironically backspacing is measured from the pad to the outside edge of the lip.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
How do you know they are 15x8" with 4.25" backspacing? If you measured the overall width from outer edge to outer edge and got 8" then it's a 7" wide wheel. The width is measured from the inside edges of the wheel lips. Ironically backspacing is measured from the pad to the outside edge of the lip.
Thanks for the info. Guess I should have done my research. Looks like I need to re-qualify my question with that information. I would imagine 275's on a 7" tire is not desirable.(or possible?) Looks like I may still be in the market for new rear wheels.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 01:34 PM
Patrick

I have 68 Camaro standard, stock ride height, front disks (ssbc),rear stock drum. Has American Racing wheels. Front 7" 3.75 BS w/215 65 15, rear 9" 3.75 BS w/255 60 15. Car came this way and rubbing issues in rear. Want to put ralley wheels. on. Will 15x7 front and 15x8 rear work with with current tires w/no rubbing issues. Love this car not the rubbing (keeps me from driving). Any help would be appreciated.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 07:37 PM
Tech Team
Don

255 60 15 is about as wide as you want to go on a 15x8 Corvette rally for the rear. You may have rubbing if you have rear passengers and may have to roll the inner fender lip, 245 60 15"s no worries.
The front 15x7 195 or 205 or 255/60/15 front or rear or all four.
I have a 69, 68 for me on tire size is an unknown.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 08:14 PM
Banned
Chet

Quote:

Front - 215/65R15
Back - 275/60R15.

Thanks
I run 245/60 and 255/60 on mine with 4.5 backspace. 275/60 on 4.25 backspace will need to have the wheel lip rolled. 255's might work but will be very close to rubbing
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 08:18 PM
Patrick

69pcar,

Thanks for the response. You gave me some numbers to kick around. Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode