post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Just Ordered Wheels & Tires..Need a Sanity Check

I just ordered a set of Vintage v40s:

15x7 front 3 7/8 backspacing with BFG 225s
15x7 rear 3 7/8 backspacing with BFG 255s

...Stock '68 suspension.

Vintage agreed with this combo (noting that the 255s would be MAX on the 7" width), but what has me second-guessing myself is that they now offer the 15x7 in a 4.5" back spacing which will give me more outer clearance but I lose a little of the "dish" look.

Thoughts????? I can still call and make a change.

Thanks!!!

Phil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Car Media Blasting:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 05:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Re: Just Ordered Wheels & Tires..Need a Sanity Check

I think you need the 4.5" back spacing otherwise you will rub the fenders

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
I think you need the 4.5" back spacing otherwise you will rub the fenders
Thanks.

Both front and rear or just rear?

Full Car Media Blasting:

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 06:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I would go all 4 corners.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

fronts should be fine with those numbers but rear will rub.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
fronts should be fine with those numbers but rear will rub.
So do you agree to go to a 4.5" backspace on all 4 corners?

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I would go 4.5" backspace on all four corners. To get the 4.5" backspace, you need to go to the 15"x8" rims though from what I saw on the web site don't you?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 14, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

I have 8x15 Billet Specialties Vintec Dish Series with 4.5" backspace for the rear and 6x15 Billet Specialties Vintec Dish Series with 3.5" backspace for the front. For tires I run Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T, P 255 / 60R15 on the rear. On the front I run Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T Radial Tires 215/70R15. These tires and wheels fit my 1967 Camaro fine with no rubbing.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH69Z28RS View Post
I would go 4.5" backspace on all four corners. To get the 4.5" backspace, you need to go to the 15"x8" rims though from what I saw on the web site don't you?
Hey Scott - Vintage doesn't have 15x7 with 4.5" backspace listed on their site, but they just started offering them recently according to the Rep. I spoke with yesterday. The last thing I want is to have tires that look "pushed out" from the car. I am calling them this AM to change the order to all 4.5" back spacing.

This is exactly the look I am going for:

http://www.camaroperformers.com/feat...photo_16.html#

...They note that the wheels are 15x6 and 15x7 with the same tire choices that I have made, but no mention of backspacing. To me, the car looks lowered a bit, but the article says "suspension as it was from Van Nuys."

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I find it annoying when any manufacturer, dealer and/or distributor doesn't keep their web site updated such as that. I mean what's the point of having a web site if the information on it isn't current and up to date? (rant over)

Good that they have the 7" with the 4.5" back spacing for you. I like the look of those wheels, nice choice. I agree though, that green 68 sure looks lowered to me as well. Maybe it's true where the article says "suspension as it was from Van Nuys", but if the suspension IS as it was from Van Nuys, it would be 45 year old suspension and has possibly dropped/sagged due to age and fatigue after that much time?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 07:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Yes, the 4.5" BS should be a better fit and won't push the wheels out too far. What size tire on that green Camaro? The back one looks pretty tall, maybe that's why it looks lowered? (it does look lowered though)

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Did anyone mention discs or drums front and rear? I saw stock suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Thanks for all of the input. This has actually gotten interesting.

Today I cancelled my order with Vintage. The gentleman was very helpful, but it appears they are having issues with the 15" V40s that isn't going to go away for a while.

First, he corrected what he stated yesterday and the 4.5" BS only comes in 15x8 as stated on the website. Next, The "factory" made a large order of 15x7 wheels and they came in painted gray with clearcoat not blasted aluminum with clear. So, if I wanted to go with 15X8 4.5 BS on the rear and 15x7 3 7/8 backspace on the front, they would have "slightly noticeable" color differences. New 15x7s that are blasted on not painted won't be in for a "long time" because they had made a "large purchase" of them. This on top of at least a weeks wait to have the lug pattern drilled. Putting 2 and 2 together, it sounds like they import the wheels and drill them as needed.

Not wanting 2 different color wheels, I ended up ordering Torq Thrust Ds, just like in the picture of the Thor's Hammer Camaro in 14x6 and 14x7, the dimensions noted in the article. It will be interesting to see how they work out, the Rep was actually looking at the pics of the Thor Camaro as a guide and Torque Thrust Ds only come in one size in 15x6 and 15x7 and he said they will look just like the pic as I have chosen the same tires. The 15x6 are 3.625 backspace and the 15x7 are only 3.75 backspace but he explained that this is better than going with a 15x8 at 4.50 BS due to the smaller rim width.

They will be here on Thursday...we will see! Fingers crossed.

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 02:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

15" or 14"? I think you will be okay with that back spacing. The green car above looks great but obviously has been lowered.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew69 View Post
15" or 14"? I think you will be okay with that back spacing. The green car above looks great but obviously has been lowered.
15"

Full Car Media Blasting:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode