18x10 with a 4" backspace - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Stanley

18x10 with a 4" backspace

Hey guys I am no to the forum and this is my first post, tried reading the stickys I couldn't pick up much info around this low of a backspace.
I picked up a 69 a few weeks ago it came with a set of boyd billets 18x10 with 4"BS in the rear on 295 35 18 I know this is not going to fit in factory well on the factory rear I plan on putting some DSE mini tubs in as well as I know im gonna have to take out some of the rear gonna do moser axles as well as c-clip eleminators and willwood disk brakes. here is my main question I do not want to roll the fender lips I am looking to see how much I am gonna have to narrow the rearend. Does anyone know the WMS to WMS to mount a 295 with out rolling the lips will sit fairly low and get slung into corners pretty hard. Im sure I can do all the math using the factory wheel size but I dont know if the factory wheels were centered perfectly or not. car is about to go off to body work then the next task is rear end then engine and tranny. hoping to have her on the road in 6 months or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 09:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: 18x10 with a 4" backspace

If you're doing tubs, you don't need to worry about shortening the rear... I think. I have 17x10 with a bit more backspace and I have plenty of room on the fender lip. It's the inside that rubs a bit. My wheels were built specifically for a 69 so there wouldn't be any issues. Never mind, I have 5.625" of BS, not a bit much. Sorry.

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 14, 04:29 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

With a stock rear width and 8" wheels on 4.5" BS and stock wheel wells, I'm about as centered as I can get.
With your 10" wheels and 4" BS, I assume they stick out some (2.5" or so ?)
Guessing the DSE tubs and about 3"-3.5" shorter per side would be about right ?

Only way to know 100% is to mock it up and measure.

Right now measuring from the drum where the wheel sits flush I have 6" to the lip and 5" to the inner well.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 14, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Stanley

Thanks for the replys guys and thanks for that measurement Doug. i know I have heard of guys running 18x10 on 5.5 and fitting them under factory tubs on 275's they have to roll the lips ( something I really don't want to do as must of the time you can see waves in rolled lips). Most of these guys are not sitting too low ether though. I would think naturally since I already have lost 1.5" in back spacing add another 3/4" for lip clearance and another 3/4" for gained width of the 295. I am probably gonna have to take out close to 3" on each side. not counting any width lost or gained when converting to disk in the rear end. I know the best way is to get the wheels under the car centered as best as possible with the body at the desired height then measure the gap but Cant do that till the tubs are in. I was kinda wanting parts ready to build the rear soon as its back or even better build the rear while the body is being worked and sprayed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 14, 08:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

An 18x10 would need 5.75" BS to be centered. An18x10 with 4" BS should stick out 1.75" further than ideal.

Also, a 295 is 20mm wider than a 275, but only half of that width comes into play on the outside of the wheel, the other half is on the inside. So it will stick out about .4" further than a 275.

You can do the math backwards from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 14, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Stanley

Yeah had a brain fart on the 295x275 width for got to cut it in half. At least now I know that it is a 5.75 that centers it. I had heard some a 5.5 with roll lips and a mallet to the fenders. I will probably still got at least 2 1/4-2 1/2 just to prevent rubbing with out rolled lips. with the mini tubs should have plenty of room to do that on the inside. I jsut don't want to deal with the aggravation I had getting the wheels on my s10. (did a dually conversion 16x6 with 8" of back space on inside wheel outside was 19x6 with 8"offest. frame had to be narrowed as well as the rear end to keep the bed from going too far out).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode