245/40/17 to short, what would you suggest? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nate

245/40/17 to short, what would you suggest?

Just got my vintage wheel works wheels finally, after ups lost the fronts for 3 weeks. I thought I had it all figured out but the 245/40/17's in the front look to small to me. The 275's in the back look a little short to me as well but I think they will look better when the car is lowered. I had 225/60/15 and 255/60/15's on it before and really liked the look but went to 17's so I can upgrade to bigger brakes.

Anyway the 245's in the front look tiny in the wheel well and I would like to do something a bit bigger. If the calculator I was using is right this is how they should break down

245/40/17 is 24.7" tall and 9.6 wide
245/45/17 is 25.7" tall and 9.6 wide (same diameter as rears)
255/40/17 is 25" tall and 10 wide
235/45/17 is 25.3" and 9.6 wide

The 255/40/17 is just a tad taller so I'm not sure if it would be enough, I work at a store that sells tires but the tires I am using have to be ordered in so I am trying to get this right for the second time. Anybody running a 255/40 on the front of a 67 or 68? Have any pics and do you have any rubbing issues. I plan to autocross this so I am trying to put as wide of tires on as possible, thats why I am leaning toward the 255, but like I said it isnt much taller than a 245/40. The 235/45 is probably the safest best as far as diameter goes though with a happy medium between the 245/40 and 245/45.

Here is a pic of the car, I had to lighten the pic a little so you can see the tires better. Right now it has 1" hotchkis springs in the front and an unknown multi leaf in the back that leans to the pass side.

Edit* plan on a hotchkis 3" drop springs front and back in the future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 02:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: 245/40/17 to short, what would you suggest?

I run the 235/45/17 on the front of mine without any issues (with 275/40/17 rear). I have ran hotchkis, then ride tech shockwaves and now ride tech coil overs No issues at all. I am looking to maybe upgrade to 275 next with the tru-turn.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

It's the car that's too tall, not the tires ha ha. Here's some pics of a 235/45-17 on a '69. First is 1" drop, second is around 2" drop. Now, I know that a '69 with 1" drop looks lower than a '68 with 3" drop due to the fender design but anyway....

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 03:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I'd go with the 245/45/17 up front. Most Camaro's I've seen on 17's are running a 45 series tire until you get up to 275's and then they drop down to 275/40/17.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
It's the car that's too tall, not the tires ha ha.
I agree with that. The fronts just look to small front to back to the fender well if that makes since. I can always lower the car to take care of the top gap in the fender well. After cycling the steering back and forth I may stick with what I have for now, I think I will get rubbing if I add to much diameter. May try a 255 still. The 245/40's were looking better the more I sat in the garage and starred at it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 14, 12:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I strongly think you will have rubbing issues with a 255 width tire. Depending on your back spacing, you'll either be rubbing the subframe or the fenders at full lock. Especially if you are ever going to lower the front end. Even a 245 is pushing it, and wheel bs has to be right on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode