What is ideal SAFE 17" wheel/Tire size!? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old May 17th, 14, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
Exclamation What is ideal SAFE 17" wheel/Tire size!?

I have a stock 69 SS camaro and want to add 17 inch wheels and am looking for a good wider look but not so big that I risk rubbing.

I understand with research here that the max to be almost safe is:

FRONT: 17x8 with 4.75 backspace with 245/45/17
BACK: 17x9.5 with 5.25? backspace with 275/40/17
but some people rub with driveways or turning hard.

I want then next size that would be certainly safe without rubbing or 'rolling' the quarter panel'.

how about:
FRONT 17x8 with 4.75 backspace with 235/45/17
BACK 17x9.5 with 5 backspace with 255/45/17

or would the back be questionable vs next size smaller rim
BACK 17x8 with 4.75 backspace with 255/45/17

Would these sizes be completely safe and yet wider than stock?

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old May 17th, 14, 06:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Re: What is ideal SAFE 17" wheel/Tire size!?

This is what I am running and nothing rubs anywhere. You could match the offsets and widths with your wheel diameter.

Front 16 x 7 w/ 4" backspace 225/55 tires
Rear 16 x 8 w/ 4-3/4 backspace 255/50 tires

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old May 17th, 14, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Front size looks good, you want a 17x9.5 w 5.5 back spacing.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old May 17th, 14, 07:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
I have a stock 69 SS camaro and want to add 17 inch wheels and am looking for a good wider look but not so big that I risk rubbing.

I understand with research here that the max to be almost safe is:

FRONT: 17x8 with 4.75 backspace with 245/45/17
BACK: 17x9.5 with 5.25? backspace with 275/40/17
but some people rub with driveways or turning hard.
17x9 w/5.25" bs or 17x9.5 w/5.5" vs is ideal. Tire size listed is about the maximum that most people can get away with, but some cars get away with slightly more or less.

Quote:
I want then next size that would be certainly safe without rubbing or 'rolling' the quarter panel'.

how about:
FRONT 17x8 with 4.75 backspace with 235/45/17
BACK 17x9.5 with 5 backspace with 255/45/17
Front as listed should be completely safe.

Rear 17x9 w/5.25" or 17x9.5 w/5.5" with 255/45/17 should be completely safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I do want to be safe and not rub.

If I use a 17x8 wheel instead of a 17x9.5 wheel with the 255/45/17 tire does that make any difference in the overall width that would make it less likely to rub? I do want the back to appear slightly larger but just don't want rubbing issues.

In other words, if the tire works for either a 17x8 or 17x9.5 is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the 17x9.5?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 06:52 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

A 17x9.5 w 5.5 back spacing is the widest wheel you would want to run and in of itself won't rub but if you have disk brakes it might be put the tire in contact with the fender lip. That wheel is a +6 offset and any other wheel you decide on needs to be very close to a +6 offset for best overall fit.

As for the tire you put on said wheel, a 275/40/17 has a section width that is about 3/4" wider and is about a 1/4" shorter than a 255/45/17. If you have rear discs plan on trimming or rolling the fender lip with either of these tires. The section width changes slightly with wheel width but with 40 or 45 series tires the narrow sidewall doesn't change much.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 07:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
A 17x9.5 w 5.5 back spacing is the widest wheel you would want to run and in of itself won't rub but if you have disk brakes it might be put the tire in contact with the fender lip. That wheel is a +6 offset and any other wheel you decide on needs to be very close to a +6 offset for best overall fit.

As for the tire you put on said wheel, a 275/40/17 has a section width that is about 3/4" wider and is about a 1/4" shorter than a 255/45/17. If you have rear discs plan on trimming or rolling the fender lip with either of these tires. The section width changes slightly with wheel width but with 40 or 45 series tires the narrow sidewall doesn't change much.
The problem is that he's not looking at 5.5 bs. It appears that he's looking at 5 or 5.25" bs on those 17x9.5's which would put it too close to the inner wheel well.

Quote:
I do want to be safe and not rub.

If I use a 17x8 wheel instead of a 17x9.5 wheel with the 255/45/17 tire does that make any difference in the overall width that would make it less likely to rub? I do want the back to appear slightly larger but just don't want rubbing issues.

In other words, if the tire works for either a 17x8 or 17x9.5 is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the 17x9.5?
The 17x8 with 4.75" bs on all 4 corners would be safe. The difference in wheel width changes the shape of the sidewall quite a bit. On a 17x8, a 255 will look fairly rounded, and on a 17x9.5, a 255 will look more stretched.

Just for comparison, here's a 235/40/17 on a 17x8" vs 17x9.5" wheel. Same tire width, different wheel width:

-If it were me, I'd look for a set of 17x9 w/5.25" bs or 17x9.5 w/5.5" bs for the rear and pair that with the 255/45/17.

-If that's not an option, then I would feel very confident in using the 17x8 w/4.75" bs on the front and rear with 235/45/17 up front and 255/45/17 in the rear. If anything rubs, then your car has some other major issue (bent frame, really bad springs, etc.)

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

This forum is awesome! I've been researching this for more than a week all over the net and I feel more comfortable with the answers in this one post!

BTW I'm assuming that the pic above shows the 17x8 on left and the 17x 9.5 on the right!? Curiously I actually like the look of the wheel/tire combo more on the left.

Last question:
I think I'm going with the 17x8 all the way around. Is it worth putting 255 on the back vs 235 all the way around if I use the 17x8 wheel? Will it have any noticeable difference in size or anything? Knowing that different sizes would negate my ability to rotate them?

Last edited by ttwo; May 18th, 14 at 12:33 PM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 03:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Glad to help. Yes, 17x8 on left and 17x9.5 on right. A wider rear tire looks better in my opinion, but also gives you better traction off the line.

If rotating the tires is important to you, then you could do 235's on all 4 corners. But I'd rather run a wider tire in the back, the more traction, the better.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

so do you feel that going to a 255 in back and 235 in front would be noticeable and worth it?!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 04:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
so do you feel that going to a 255 in back and 235 in front would be noticeable and worth it?!
Yes.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 06:20 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I personally don't think you should consider a 235/40 17 on a 1st gen. It's only 24.5" tall and just won't fill the wheel well no matter what wheel you mount it on. It safely fits on a 17x8 or a 17x9.5 but as the photo above shows wheel size/tire size matters.

A 235/45 17 would be fairly safe, that's what I run up front. It's 25.5" tall, has about .2" less section width than the 235/40 and actually has about .3" more tread width.

Every car is a little different so there is no "completely safe bet" if you want your car to stand out. I can't tell you how many guys I see locally put their rally's w/225/60 15's back on after trying 17" wheels because they had some rubbing somewhere and they were not interested in figuring it out.

My 235/45 17 will scuff the frame on lock to lock turns. I choose to live with the lock to lock scuffing but could limit the steering a little to stop it. With a 2" drop I needed to add a little negative camber and replace the center most inner fender bolt with a button head hex bolt to stop the tire from contacting the head of the one inner fender bolt.

All that said the most safe up front might be a 225/45 17, it splits the difference in height between the other 2 mentioned and is a little narrower all around

As for the rear I run 255/45 17's on 9.5" w/5.5" bs and to be honest when I had rear drums the tires scuffed the inner fender/frame area as the body flexed going through driveways at an angle. I don't think a coupe would have this same issue my ragtop has with body flex. Disc brakes fixed that issue but put the outside sidewall too close to the fender lip for comfort so I used a nibbler and removed part of the fender lip where the tire was the closest. 245/45 17 tires might be a little safer bet, they are less than 1/2" shorter, .4" narrower in section width and .3" less tread width...

I would always go with a wider rear tire than front unless you plan to daily drive it... If you put 10k miles or more a year it's nice to be able to rotate the tires but if you put 2k miles a year on the car it will take you 5 years to see any tire wear which you won't if you keep a good alignment and proper tire pressure.

I would also run different width wheels front and rear, wider in the back. Again unless it's your daily driver think narrower tire on a slightly narrower wheel up front, wider tire on a slightly wider wheel out back, it just keeps the balance. If you mix 2 sizes of tire on the same wheel it will look off!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old May 19th, 14, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

OK, good info!!

In the end I think that I will do this:

due to concern about rubbing with 275/40/17 or even 255/45/17 in the back with 9.5 inch wheels I will stick to using the 17x8 wheels all around with 4.75 BS or as close as I can to that. I am looking at the American Racing Torque Thrust II

STOCK suspention height, no lowering done:

Front: 17x8 with 4.75 BS with 235/45/17
Rear: 17x8 with 4.75 BS with 255/45/17

Anyone disagree?! going...going...
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old May 19th, 14, 02:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I personally don't think you should consider a 235/40 17 on a 1st gen. It's only 24.5" tall and just won't fill the wheel well no matter what wheel you mount it on. It safely fits on a 17x8 or a 17x9.5 but as the photo above shows wheel size/tire size matters.

A 235/45 17 would be fairly safe, that's what I run up front. It's 25.5" tall, has about .2" less section width than the 235/40 and actually has about .3" more tread width.
FWIW, I only posted that pic of a 235/40/17 for reference purposes to compare a 17x8 and a 17x9.5 wheel. I wasn't recommending that size.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old May 19th, 14, 02:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
OK, good info!!

In the end I think that I will do this:

due to concern about rubbing with 275/40/17 or even 255/45/17 in the back with 9.5 inch wheels I will stick to using the 17x8 wheels all around with 4.75 BS or as close as I can to that. I am looking at the American Racing Torque Thrust II

STOCK suspention height, no lowering done:

Front: 17x8 with 4.75 BS with 235/45/17
Rear: 17x8 with 4.75 BS with 255/45/17

Anyone disagree?! going...going...
I think you'll be happy with that setup. I agree with Dennis, I prefer a wider rear tire than front. Unless it's a daily driver, the tires will get old before they have enough miles on them to worry about rotating them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode