New wheels - Coys C5 17x7, 18x8 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

New wheels - Coys C5 17x7, 18x8

Unfortunately due to UPS I only got my front wheels and all 4 tires, but that didn't stop me from getting the fronts mounted and bolted up.

Who needs rear wheels:

Tires are:
235/45ZR17 Sumitomo HTR Z II
255/45ZR18 Sumitomo HTR Z II

I installed Hotchkis 2" lowering springs a few months back and didn't worry about it when the front of the car stayed the same height because I just assumed the originals were completely worn out.

It's looking really really high in the front now though. I'm guessing/hoping that they may not be sitting in the pocket properly and it's raising it up some.

If I put the front of it in the air and take the shock out, can I rotate the spring in the perch or do I have to separate my balljoints again? I really hope I don't have to do that.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 05:46 AM
Team Member
Ty

Re: New wheels - Coys C5 17x7, 18x8

Looking very nice. Wheels do so much for a car. I hope you get the rears soon.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Did you torque all of the control arm bolts with the weight of the car on the ground or did your torque them while the car is in the air?

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

I've never touched my control arm bolts.

When I installed the springs they moved well enough to bent the LCA down and shove the spring in there.

Jason
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue89bird View Post

If I put the front of it in the air and take the shock out, can I rotate the spring in the perch or do I have to separate my balljoints again? I really hope I don't have to do that.

If you just take the shock out, back the lower ball joint nut off almost all the way and then whack the flat spot on the spindle with a sledge hammer it'll pop apart, maybe enough without separating balljoint from spindle to turn a 2" drop spring. If not and you still wind up having to put a jack under it and drop the LCA down a little it still won't be bad. Antisieze on the ball joint shafts is a blessing for that. The indexing hole you line the end of the spring up with is in frame pocket up top.

Even so you still may want to loosen the LCA bolts and then let it set down before you tighten them back up. The bushings may have a "memory" spot in them where the arm can't swing past with the bolts tight.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
If you just take the shock out, back the lower ball joint nut off almost all the way and then whack the flat spot on the spindle with a sledge hammer it'll pop apart, maybe enough without separating balljoint from spindle to turn a 2" drop spring. If not and you still wind up having to put a jack under it and drop the LCA down a little it still won't be bad. Antisieze on the ball joint shafts is a blessing for that. The indexing hole you line the end of the spring up with is in frame pocket up top.

Even so you still may want to loosen the LCA bolts and then let it set down before you tighten them back up. The bushings may have a "memory" spot in them where the arm can't swing past with the bolts tight.
Yeah I was hoping to not have to do that. When I replaced the springs the first time getting the ball joints to pop was a giant pain in the *** that too me a few days to accomplish. They literally wouldn't budge. I ended up replacing the covers on them after mangling them good. While I liberally used anti seize on the threads while reassembling, I imagine with so much less pressure than the factory springs they're going to be a chore to get undone again.

Jason
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You'd be surprised how easy they may come out since you had them apart once if you hit the spindle in just the right spot, no need for a pickle fork. I've gotten an upper on my 2002 with 60k on it to come out before with a whack in the right spot with just the weight of the spindle on it, no strut.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

After getting it onto the ground and giving it a few bounces up and down since it was hanging off the suspension it's actually not as bad as I originally thought. It's definitely still a bit high for my liking, but not like I thought it was.

I measured about 15 3/4 from the center of my wheel to the bottom of the wheel well trim.

Jason
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Jason
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Floor to top of wheel well trim is about 27 3/4

Jason
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 14, 10:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Those look almost identical to my AR's:

Ironically enough I got the rears first and the fronts about a week later. I feel your pain...

...but the wait was so, so worth it!

See? Much better!

I went 225's in the front and still rub on hard bumps. Not saying you'll do the same but it might happen. I really think it's the same wheel with different branding by the looks of it. The only difference I see is my lips have steps in them whereas yours are smooth. I'm considering rolling the front fenders to solve the problem. They only need about 1/8" to 1/4" at the most to clear just inside the lip. It's rare that I have problems but that sound!

Mine were AR-105 Torque Thrust M's. 17x7 front with a 4.02" BS and 17x8 rears with 4.57" BS. No rubbing on the back at all. Lots of rubber back there. Drives great!

You're going to love that first ride. I used to get a lot of complements before I put on those rims. Now I can't stop at a light without someone giving me a thumbs up or wanting to talk.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
Those look almost identical to my AR's:

Ironically enough I got the rears first and the fronts about a week later. I feel your pain...

...but the wait was so, so worth it!

See? Much better!

I went 225's in the front and still rub on hard bumps. Not saying you'll do the same but it might happen. I really think it's the same wheel with different branding by the looks of it. The only difference I see is my lips have steps in them whereas yours are smooth. I'm considering rolling the front fenders to solve the problem. They only need about 1/8" to 1/4" at the most to clear just inside the lip. It's rare that I have problems but that sound!

Mine were AR-105 Torque Thrust M's. 17x7 front with a 4.02" BS and 17x8 rears with 4.57" BS. No rubbing on the back at all. Lots of rubber back there. Drives great!

You're going to love that first ride. I used to get a lot of complements before I put on those rims. Now I can't stop at a light without someone giving me a thumbs up or wanting to talk.
Out for delivery so hopefully they come early enough I can drop them off to get mounted.

As for rubbing, I've got .25" more backspacing so they shouldnt have any issues I hope.

They're definitely similar. In addition to the difference in the barrel mine also have hidden valve stems. I'm just hoping they dont leak because they look like a real pain to fill.

Jason
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 05:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue89bird View Post
Out for delivery so hopefully they come early enough I can drop them off to get mounted.

As for rubbing, I've got .25" more backspacing so they shouldnt have any issues I hope.

They're definitely similar. In addition to the difference in the barrel mine also have hidden valve stems. I'm just hoping they dont leak because they look like a real pain to fill.
Nice on all counts!

...and just in time for the holiday weekend! Enjoy!

BTW: Love the invisible rim shot.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

UPS just came and I promptly dropped them off to be mounted. I need to leave here at 4 so I hope theyre done soon.

Jason
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode