LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: New Wheels, New Issues...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMan469 View Post
I bought the tires locally, and they have zero miles in them. Hopefully they'll just exchange then for me, maybe for a small restocking fee.

I could buy just one new rim for around $350, but I'm not sure if that's the best solution...
Definitely see if you can get it centered first. But one thing to realize is that a lot of these cars came out of the factory not centered. Tolerances weren't exactly what they are today.

If you don't want to buy a new wheel, as suggested before, you could take one to a machine shop and see if there's enough meat on the hub to have a little taken off. Some shops probably wouldn't even touch it since it becomes a safety/liability issue, but it may be worth looking into, and may cost a lot less than buying a new wheel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
Definitely see if you can get it centered first. But one thing to realize is that a lot of these cars came out of the factory not centered. Tolerances weren't exactly what they are today.

If you don't want to buy a new wheel, as suggested before, you could take one to a machine shop and see if there's enough meat on the hub to have a little taken off. Some shops probably wouldn't even touch it since it becomes a safety/liability issue, but it may be worth looking into, and may cost a lot less than buying a new wheel.
Would that significantly compromise it's structural integrity? If it will become a safety issue, I don't know if I'll feel comfortable doing that.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old May 28th, 14, 06:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Would that significantly compromise it's structural integrity? If it will become a safety issue, I don't know if I'll feel comfortable doing that.
It would be up to the machine shop to decide that. If the hub is thick enough, it might be fine. If not, then they probably wouldn't even want to touch it.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old May 28th, 14, 09:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

My gut tells me wheel manufacturers don't have different centers made for every possible backspacing. They probably make them in for instance a 4" backspacing and then machine what's not needed off, but again, I'm far from an expert.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old May 28th, 14, 09:44 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

If you buy high end wheels they often will tell you how thick the pad is. Most wheels that are production made and sitting in retailers inventory have very generic back spacing or offsets that will fit on the most possible combinations and won't have much or any extra material in the pad. Wheel design can leave the pad with extra material on it, a lot depends on how the wheel is designed around the lug holes.

A good wheel shop that has the equipment and does wheel repairs will know the safe limits in pad thickness and will not remove more than what is safe.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old May 28th, 14, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

did you try switching wheels from one side to the other to see if wheels are both the same back space ? had the same issue went with different tire size tire guy just charged a mounting fee
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old May 28th, 14, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills69 View Post
did you try switching wheels from one side to the other to see if wheels are both the same back space ? had the same issue went with different tire size tire guy just charged a mounting fee
I did try switching rims/tires from one side to the other with no success. I am going to try a 255/40/18 this Friday to see if that helps at all. I'm hoping that the extra ~0.4" and a fender lip roll/trim will do the job. If not, you might be seeing these rims/tires go up for sale soon...

Do you guys think that a 255/40/18 will look bad on a 9.5" rim? Do you guys have any pictures of what it might look like?
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 02:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
I did try switching rims/tires from one side to the other with no success. I am going to try a 255/40/18 this Friday to see if that helps at all. I'm hoping that the extra ~0.4" and a fender lip roll/trim will do the job. If not, you might be seeing these rims/tires go up for sale soon...

Do you guys think that a 255/40/18 will look bad on a 9.5" rim? Do you guys have any pictures of what it might look like?
What size are the fronts? And are they on an 18x8?

A 255 might look too stretched on a 9.5 depending on what look you like and what the front size is.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Measure your rear end flange to flange or back of axle to back of axle and post up the measurement since it's a new build. I'll check mine to compare.

Maybe easier to measure from back side of tire to inner fender, or back of axle flange to leaf perch. Just to get some measurements to compare to others.

That width tire and rim tucks on my '69 with rear discs.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 05:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Measure your rear end flange to flange or back of axle to back of axle and post up the measurement since it's a new build. I'll check mine to compare.

Maybe easier to measure from back side of tire to inner fender, or back of axle flange to leaf perch. Just to get some measurements to compare to others.

That width tire and rim tucks on my '69 with rear discs.
The perches are probably more than likely off center. Replacing a quarter doesn't seem to me would have that much of a side to side difference. Even if it were I wouldn't personally shave the pad on the wheels. I would move the perches...

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
What size are the fronts? And are they on an 18x8?

A 255 might look too stretched on a 9.5 depending on what look you like and what the front size is.
The fronts are 18x8" and the tires are 245/40/18.

I understand that the 255 might look stretched, but if it's the widest width that works, I might be stuck with it temporarily.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old May 30th, 14, 07:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

255's have a section width of 10.2" and don't look stretched on 9.5" wheels, I've been running them for years on my '69.

...Dennis

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old May 30th, 14, 08:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
255's have a section width of 10.2" and don't look stretched on 9.5" wheels, I've been running them for years on my '69.
Those don't look too bad at all Dennis. I was thinking they'd have a little more of an "import" look to them. What size are your fronts, and do you have a good shot of your front to rear comparison?

My thoughts were that a 245/40/18 on an 18x8 would not have the same profile as a 255/40/18 on an 18x9.5 since the tires are only .4" (10mm) wider, but the wheels are 1.5" wider.

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old May 30th, 14, 09:19 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

My wheels are 17" but before anyone says we are not talking apples to apples with 18" wheels, 255's in both sizes have the same section width within about 1/10" and the 18" wheels typically have just a bit more tread width so the 255 on a 18" wheel will look wider than on a 17" wheel. Even with the difference in 40 and 45 series tires you won't see the 255 sidewall roll into the tread.

Now as far as sidewall height and looking okay you don't need that perfect combination front and rear that gives you the exact same sidewall height. I started out wanting it (275/40 and 245/45 gives it both 17" and 18") but settled for a slight difference.

The fronts are 235/45 and the rear are 255/45 and there is .7" difference in height. That's a .35" different sidewall with the fronts being shorter. I don't think its noticeable at all...

...Dennis

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old May 30th, 14, 04:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
The fronts are 235/45 and the rear are 255/45 and there is .7" difference in height. That's a .35" different sidewall with the fronts being shorter. I don't think its noticeable at all...
I actually like a little more sidewall on the rear tire than the front, so you won't get any criticism from me. I'm running a 245/40/18 and 275/40/18 combo. I originally thought about doing 275/35/18's in the rear, but decided against it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode