Day II wheel/tire combo - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

Day II wheel/tire combo

I have a customer with a 69 Camaro who is asking me to give his car a little Day II look using a wheel and tire change. Based on a previous thread and some photos I chose the BF Goodrich 215/70R15 front and 255/70R15 rears and Torque Thrust 309-5761 15x7 wheels which the poster (69OlympicGold) was running. I received the tires today and they look huge for this car even though that is what he says he is running. Is anyone else running a similar combination and do you have any issues with this wheel and tire combo? Thanks in advance.
Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: Day II wheel/tire combo

If you take a look at the Olympic gold Car you will see how high it sits. If that the look your customer is looking for. It is a 70s look.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 08:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Rick:

I am running BFG 215 70 15 in the front and 255 60 15 in the rear.

Front tire is 26.5 inches tall, about the same as the original E 70 15.

Rear is 27 inches tall.

Wheels are Centerline auto drags polished: 15x7 in front and 15x8.5 in rear. My car is stock height in rear and lowered a couple inches in the front. No rubbing issues at all.

My personal opinion is that the above tire (granted the wheels weren't around yet in 1970) is the perfect day two look unless you want to jack it up and put some giant tires outside the rear wheel well. But then, I would call that more of a day 3 look, i.e. the 70's.

If you want pics of that set up, let me know. I haven't taken any since putting those tires and wheels on. Be glad to post.

Are you sure someone is running a 255 70? That tire would be 29 inches tall. It would look huge. I think it would fit (I have about 1.75 inches of clearance at the front and back of each rear tire between the tire and wheel well). Just seems a bit out of balance with the front tires.

Lynn

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 14, 05:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I am running 225/60/15's front and 255/60/15 on 15x7 rallys. I have a Hotchkis TVS lowering kit.

67 Vert RS/SS 350 4 SP
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 14, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

Thanks for your responses. Yes the person that I originally saw photos of his car is in fact running 255x70R15's in the rear and confirmed it with him yesterday. He did it with a simple leaf spring change. I agree they are huge and I likely should have dropped it down a notch or two. We shall see how it works out.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 14, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
Phil

Mine had 255/70/15 rears on it when I bought it and it had a rear tire rub. I changed to:

Fronts: 15x6 with 3.625 backspacing - 225/60/15 tire
Rear: 15x7 with 3.75 backspacing - 255/60/15 tire

...And I like the combo a lot. Here is a before and after:

The suspension has since settled a bit after being on jack stands for several weeks and actually sits pretty nice now, but I will still be lowering by 1".

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 14, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech
John

Link to thread with more data: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118142

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 14, 11:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69OlympicGoldSS View Post
I like that look

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 14, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Mine has 295/50s on the rear, and I have about 3 fingers clearance from the tire to the fender lip on both sides.

Multi-leaf rear.

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode