Corvette rally wheels question. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 14, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Corvette rally wheels question.

Ok after reading a ton of info here on wheel combos, JUST to be sure, the factory Corvette 8 x 15 wheels have a 4 inch back spacing and are hub centric. Are there any clearance issues using these on the back of a 67 Camaro with 255 60 BF Goodrich T/A"s ? And as these were disc brake equipped cars these wheels came on are the still hub centric on a drum brake rear end on a 67 Camaro? I have Wheel Vintique rallys all around now but I have a vibration at high speed I cant find and was thinking of putting hub centric original GM rallys on the car. I have 2 15 x 6 rallys from a Camaro / monte carlo I plan to use up front and was thinking of getting 2 15 x 8 vette rims for the back.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 14, 12:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: Corvette rally wheels question.

I run the 15x8" AZ code Corvette rallies on the rear with 235/60-15 tires and drum brakes. Are they hub centric on the rear? I guess so, but use stock acorn-style steel lug nuts and you should have no problems at all and 255/60-15 is a common rear tire size also.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 14, 01:56 PM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Holmes View Post
Ok after reading a ton of info here on wheel combos, JUST to be sure, the factory Corvette 8 x 15 wheels have a 4 inch back spacing and are hub centric. Are there any clearance issues using these on the back of a 67 Camaro with 255 60 BF Goodrich T/A"s ? And as these were disc brake equipped cars these wheels came on are the still hub centric on a drum brake rear end on a 67 Camaro? I have Wheel Vintique rallys all around now but I have a vibration at high speed I cant find and was thinking of putting hub centric original GM rallys on the car. I have 2 15 x 6 rallys from a Camaro / monte carlo I plan to use up front and was thinking of getting 2 15 x 8 vette rims for the back.
thanks
Not hub centric and never were. Not a big deal.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 14, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

thanks for the replys. what I needed to know
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 14, 09:15 PM
Senior Tech
Murray

Pretty sure the AZ coded Corvette wheels were hub concentric when I ran them with 245x60x15 tires.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 14, 01:51 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

The hub centric issue is debatable.

Of course, non hub centric wheels need to be balanced with a lug centric type of machine.

Hub centric conversion rings are available, but I've heard the stamped hole in non HC wheels isn't always true or dead center, so the rings may actually be worse than relying on the lug nuts for centering. ??

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...+centric+rings

I'm pretty sure all GM wheels from the 60's -70's are hub centric. 15 x 8 AZ code vette wheels have 4" backspace. With a 255/ 60 tire, I think they'll be rubbing the wheel openings if the suspension allows the tire to travel that far.

Just my thoughts....

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 14, 04:14 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I run 245x60 and 225x60 on my Vette wheels with no issues and they look great without being too big and have rubbing issues on my 69 RSSS Vert.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 14, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Quote:
I run 245x60 and 225x60 on my Vette wheels with no issues and they look great without being too big and have rubbing issues on my 69 RSSS Vert.
So they do not rub in your 69?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 14, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Mikael

I have had 15x8" rally wheel with 4" BS and 245/60-15 tires. They did rub the fender lip when the suspension was compressed. No problem with rubbing if no passengers in the rear seat. I am now using 17x8" rims with 4.5" BS and 245/45-17 tires without problems. Stock mono leafs.
A 245/60-15 tire on a 8" wide rim has a section width of 260 mm. A 245/45-17 tire on a 8" wide rim has section width of 245 mm. Measured by myself on my own tires.
Rgds/Mikael

69 Chevelle Malibu 400/TH400 (136379Z328013)
67 Camaro Coupe 327 - Sold 26:th of Aug 2014

Last edited by Elmer; Jul 19th, 14 at 01:45 PM. Reason: forgot
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 14, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Larry,

I have 15 x 8 AZ coded 4” backspace Corvette Rally wheels and 255/60-15 BF Goodrich Radial TAs on my 67. Generally I have no rubbing. But if I let my old school air shocks get low and have someone in the back seat, if I hit a large hole or dip in the road I will rub the chrome trim on the wheel well. I’m still running drum brakes on the rear.

As far as hub centered, my understanding is all the Rally style wheels were hub centered, but I have limited knowledge on that topic. If you changed to aftermarket disc brakes I’m not sure if they’ll still center on the hub.

Brian

'67 SS/RS 350, Muncie M20, Black with black interior.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 14, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

OK good to know.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 14, 03:25 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

My experience is 255's on Corvette rallys will rub (on the rear) unless you bend or trim the fender lip.

If you want rallys, go to summit and get the 4.5" backspace wheels for $78

Your 4" backspace wheels might work on the front, but 4.5" backspace is better

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wv...4042/overview/

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 14, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Quote:
If you want rallys, go to summit and get the 4.5" backspace wheels for $78

Your 4" backspace wheels might work on the front, but 4.5" backspace is better
That's what I have now. I have a vibration I am trying to find and was going to try factory wheels as I have read multiple posts about the Wheel Vintiques causing vibrations.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 14, 03:34 PM
Banned
Chet

Think about it. A stamped out circle in the middle of a wheel going over a hub with a wide open tolerance on it. Hub centric wheels have a much tighter tolerance hub to wheel mounting hole and use flat backed lug nuts. All that hub is doing is help you get the wheel on the axle, tightening your lug nuts with the angle shoulders are what centers the wheels. I have talked to GM engineers about this as well as two different buddies who manage tire shops. Not hub centric. You know all those TT-IIs all the rage on first gen Camaros? Not hub centric. NO aftermarket wheel is hub centric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in