295/50s? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 14, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

295/50s?

Bear with me...I know tires have been hashed, rehashed, and generally beat to death.
I'm starting to line up what's needed to make the final push to get the car on the road. The tires that are on it are probably 20yrs old, and sidewalls are cracked, so I'm not going to even drive to the corner with them once the car is started.
Having just bought a house and moved to Florida, my "fun pile" of $$$ has been severely spanked, but I'm hoping in the next month or so to have a few extra to start buying critical parts and pieces.
SOoooo...
Car came with 295/50s mounted on 8" steel/rally wheels on the back. I've since put Caltraks on the car, along with new spring perches and Edelbrock shocks. The 295s are on there now just so I could roll it on/off trailers etc. I didn't spend much time driving the car before starting the frame-off, but I don't recall there being any rubbing issues with this size.
But everything I've read seems to indicate that 295 is too wide for a 69.

Is anyone out there running 295s on a 69 without mods to the wheel wells?

My intent is to buy new rubber and mount it on the rims that are on the car now. Later on I'll decide on rims, or who knows...might just stick with the rallys for awhile

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build album

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 14, 07:15 AM
Tech Team
Guilton

Re: 295/50s?

question .was or are the rear fender lip rolled or cut?to keep the old ones from rubbing.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 14, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: 295/50s?

No...in fact both quarters were replaced during frame-off.
I'll post some pics later if I get some time. I think the rear sits high, higher than it used to.
When I loaded the car up on a trailer to bring it down here from Mass I packed about 200+lbs of parts/pieces/tools in the trunk, and bounced it 1700 miles down here to Florida, and the trunk hasn't been unpacked yet, so it's had some weight in it...still has about 2" clearance from top of wheel to fender lip.

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode