Rally Wheel 15X8 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 98, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Planning on buying 4 15x8 corvette rally's for my 68 Camaro. Will they fit or will modifacation of my wheel well be needed? They have 215/65/r15 tires on them. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 98, 01:32 PM

I have used 15X8's on my 78 for a while, they fit fine. 215-65 15's is a pretty tall and skinny tire. I ran 245-60's in the front and 265's in the rear. I would think that 215's would look to thin on the 15X8's, hey, if they don't fit I'll trade ya for a set of 15X7's......
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 98, 01:54 PM
Tech Team

LMAO!!! Good try there, bitchincamaro!!!
Doesn't everyone want a set of 15X8's???

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 98, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech

The wheel wells on the second generation body are alot bigger..I have a pair of 225-70R15's on 15x7's on the front of a '69 Z28, and they rub when turned sharp.I would think 215-65's would be ok, as the 8 inch rim would lower the overall height a bit.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 98, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Well I got the 15X8 rally wheels and before I made the decision I put them on and cranked my wheel hard left and right. Front clearance to the sides were good (about 1"). So I Bought them, But driving home Id hit a bump and they would rub on the top of the wheel well both front and back. Looking at them they had both front and back atleast 3" to the top if not more. But I noticed when my friend got into the car it sunk down low. Im guessing this is my coils and Leaf Spring? Time to get new one from ages of use and sag. Any comments? Or should I put on different sized tires? Or maybe new shocks?

[This message has been edited by mike_russell (edited 12-22-98).]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 98, 04:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Mike

New rear leafs will help considerably, especially if yours are 30 years old. I replaced mine when they were 25 years old and have pictures before and after and you can see the top of my tire in the after pic. The front used to ride higher than the rear. I put new shocks on before I did the springs and it didn't help ride height. By the way, I have stock wheels (14x7) and tires.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 12-22-98).]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 98, 04:22 AM

I would go to a new set of balonies. Try something shorter, 235-60, or in that range.

The xxx-60 or 50 has nothing to do with the width!!! The width is xxx in MM, and the 50 or 60 or 65 is the sidwall height, in % of width. So 235-60 would be both wider and shorter than 215-65. This will affect speedo readings. I looooove to leave my cars loooowwww, so I fit the tires to the lowest ride height I can....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 98, 04:22 AM

I would go to a new set of balonies. Try something shorter, 235-60, or in that range.

The xxx-60 or 50 has nothing to do with the width!!! The width is xxx in MM, and the 50 or 60 or 65 is the sidwall height, in % of width. So 235-60 would be both wider and shorter than 215-65. This will affect speedo readings. I looooove to leave my cars loooowwww, so I fit the tires to the lowest ride height I can....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 11:49 AM

Wink Re: Rally Wheel 15X8

I used to do suspension and brake work for a living. I have a '69 Camaro, and I'm using a 15 x 7" rally wheel with 23560R15 tires, and it works fine (I do have new leaf/coil springs). The Corvette wheels have a different offset and will not work. Leaf springs is a pretty easy job, the hardest part is dealing with 30 years of rust. Coil springs can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, be careful or pay to have it done. Those springs pack a serious punch.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Re: Rally Wheel 15X8

My 67 had 15 x 8 Vette Ralley's on all 4 corners with 235's when I bought it many moon's ago. I'll see if I can dig up an old photo and scan it in. They did not have any fit or rub problems.

Tony:
67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 08:57 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Re: Rally Wheel 15X8

If you're running original Kelsey Hayes Corvette Rallies (not repos) the offset won't work on a first gen, unless you run a pretty skinny tire, which defeats the purpose. The Corvette rallies have 4 inch offset. In an 8 inch wheel, a first gen needs 4.5 to 4.75 inch offset.

You can have the centers of the Vette rallies moved in or out to meet the need (moved out in the case). Stockton Wheel in CA will do it for about $75 a wheel...800-395-9433. I prefer this to repos. Though repos can be ordered with the correct offsets, they're not hub-centric and in my opinion, not as safe.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode