How big / back spacing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 99, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

I have a 67 conv. camaro with 15 x 8 rallies.And I have a 71 chevelle. I'd like to move the ralley rims to the chevelle and buy new chrome or alum. rims for the camaro. Are the back spacing requirements the same on the chevelle? Can I get 17in rims under the camaro? How about 16? Back spacing? I'd like a wide tire on the rear, how large can I go ? Any help,opinions ect.. would be appreciated...Thanks...

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 99, 08:21 PM

i used to work for the now defunked SuperShops, and i fitted all kinds of wheels and tires on many different vehicles. as far as swapping the wheels from the Camaro to the Chevelle, the wheels should work, bolt them on the front and make sure the rim doesn't interfere with anything,even in a full turn.your tire size may be a different story.if they are the same size your all good, if not swap the tires that were on the Chevelle to the rims that were on the Camaro. this will keep your speedo exactly were it was at.
now for the Camaro,if you are determined to put larger wheels under the car,(16" or larger) you may need to have some modifacations done. the thing you have to make sure of is clearance both front and rear, in a full turn or a full squish on the suspension. also make sure that when you select a tire, you stay within 1/2" taller or shorter of your original tire size, so you don't have to get into the speedo gear dilemma.
my last suggestion would be that you scope out a reputable wheel and tire shop that has what you want in stock. when you are ready to buy, go in and ask them if the will do a test fit of the wheel and tire combo you are looking for. this does a couple things for you...1 you get to make sure that your combo will fit without modifacations, and 2 you get to see how that combo looks on your car. as far as getting into math and back spacing, save that for your tire guy, that way if he screws up he has to reorder, but if you screw up you just bought 4 wheels and tires that don't fit you car.
BudMan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode