tires & wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 99, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hi I have a 69 Z and what is the maximum size rally wheels and tires I can fit on it, front and rear including customizing them and not the body or the rear end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 99, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Shook

I'm not sure about the maximium size you can run, but I know that you have to take into account the amount of back spacing you can use. If you get the correct backspacing, you might be surprised of the sizes you can run.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 99, 07:50 PM

Hi Chris,
I have a 69 SSRS. I purchased two new reproduction 15 x 10 rally rims with a 5 in. backspace or offset. The tires I had mounted on these rims were BF Goodrich P295/50/R15's. As beautiful a sight as these tires were, they rubbed in the rear quarters while the vehicle went over small bumps. My complete suspension is brand new so it was not due to any sagging. My suggestion would be to stick with something just a tad bit smaller than my combo. Good Luck !!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 99, 11:11 AM

What type of combo are you after? Short and fat or more of the drag race look? I run a 15x7 rally with 3.75 backspacing and 275 60 15 looks good and doesn't rub.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 99, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the info, and I hate to sound stupid, but I am a bodyman not mechanic.Is backspacing putting spacers behind the wheel? If so I would rather have the wheel deeper in the wheelhouse, than outward.But If you could almost fit 15/10 WOW.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 99, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I just got it. offset is the distance from the inside out of the center of the wheel is located right?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 99, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Shook

The backspacing is the measurment of the depth of the back of the wheel (the part that faces the brakes). It is measured by placing the wheel on the ground backside facing up and laying a straight edge across the top edge of the wheel and measure down to the mounting pad (the part that accually touchs the brake drum or rotor). I hope this helps, if you need any more information about measuring back spacing look in the Summit Racing Catalog on page 215. The catalog I'm referring to has the red '47 Studebaker Pick up on the cover. I hope this helps.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 99, 09:41 AM

I too have a 69 Z28. I'm looking to get that road racer look. I've read ALL of the wheels forum and still have a few questions. Is anyone certain of the back spacing? 4" or 4.5" for the 15x8 Vette Rallyes? Will they fit on the front, and is the backspacing on the front the same? Assume new suspension. HELP!!!

Thanks, Shawn
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 99, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

The 4.5" offset was a Camaro standard while the 4" was for Corvette. Chevrolet did not offer a rim larger than 15"x7"x4" offset for Camaro, while Corvettes got the bigger 15"x8"x4" offset. If you find a used 15"x8" rally it is likely a 4" offset rim. Wheel Vintiques offers a catalog that outlines these differences.

paul69 - How much clearance do you have between the rim and the suspension components? I'm considering 15"x8"x5" offset for the rear but the clearance between the shocks and shock plates seems to be pretty tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode