wheels & tires - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 99, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I am looking for a pro-touring look for my first gen. But I dont want to buy big rims and not fit. Does anyone know if a set of 17" rims will fit with out major work??
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 99, 02:35 PM

yes, there are many different companies that offer wheels of that size. I am also looking to do the same as you on my 68. I have done alot of research so that I don't get something that doesn't fit. So far, American racing, Budnick, Cragar, are the ones I like, but there are many, look up their internet sites, their addresses are the same as the name. But I have also found that they are spendy in 17 and 18 inch diameters. Hope this helps!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 99, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech

I put 17" American Torque Thrust IIs on my '69. Rears are 8" and fronts are 7" with 255 and 245/45/17 Comp TAs. I can't remember the offset, but I picked one of the stock offerings (after carefully measuring) and they fit great. I've seen wider wheels and tires on a first gen car but I couldn't make them work on mine. Of course, mine is also lowered a couple of inches so I've got less clearance to work with. However, once again - they fit great! No rubbing, no hammering the fender lips, I just bolted them on.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 99, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I am thiking of going with the corvette ZR1 rims. Does anyone think that they will fit with a one inch drop all around??
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 99, 01:56 PM

I too called on the possibility to put ZR1 wheels on my 68, but they said they had a minimum 6 inch backspace, which I couldn't use, (4.3/4 being max without moving the shocks) If you have any luck with those wheels, let us know what you had to do to make them fit, (spacers, geometry changes, etc.) because I would also like to try them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 99, 11:53 AM
Tech Team

I have Centerline 17"x9.5" and 17"x8" on my 67 Camaro. The rear have 5.5" bs and the front have 4.5" bs. I also have the car lowered 2' in front and rear. For tires, I have p27540zr17 comp ta's rear and p24545zr17 fronts they are close however they dont rub. I also have a hotchkins 1&1/8 swaybar and 2" lowering springs on the front. The car handles VERY well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 99, 12:16 PM
Tech Team

Even though I bought a rear shock relocating bar from competition engineering for the 67 anticipating rear shock clearance problems, I had NO such problems. Even with 17"tires that have 10.5" of tread on the ground! If you want pics I got em to prove it!

As for the ZR-1 rims we all must have seen Mark Steilows car in the vintage air add!! I too wanted them. However I was told they CAN work...BUT these rims are 17x9.5 with 7" bs period.. At the local Wheel King in Freno Ca they told me you have to get billit aluminum spacers to compensate for the 7" backspacing. That means 1.5" spacers for the rear and 2.5" spacers for the front!! These spacers run about 100-150 $ each plus the attaching hardware and I was leary about running them eventhough wheelking said I could with no problems. I have 8" rims with 9" of tread on the front(p24545zr17) and they clear the rear portion of the wheel opening by about 1/2".So I imagine a bigger tire (that would be required by the 9.5" front rim) would be REALLY close unless you got a thinner spacer to move the zr-1 rim in more....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 99, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info I to would be a little worried with over 2"s of spacers in the front.Im sure I will figure something out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 99, 07:49 AM
Tech Team

joeyj-How much ground clearance do you have with the car lowered that much? I can't decide if I am going to lower my car one inch or two. I am afraid if i lower it two inches i will catch the headers going over speed bumps.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 99, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech

A great look is to go with 16 or 17 inch rally rims with factory backspacing. As for using ZR1 wheels...unless you have lots of experience with modifing and design work....go with someting that doesnt require modifications or adapters or some other questionable applications. My 69 uses a set of Trans-Am racing (16x9) (4 1/2 backspacing) type wheels from vintage wheel works. Its a great look. Good Luck! Note: cars you see in Hot Rod or others are usually heavily modified and require lots of cash to get that "look". Hit the basics first then learn your way through to the harder applications. I would frown at adapters espically if you are generating lots of HP. I have seen some crazy things with adapters. Again, keep it simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode