Rims for 68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 00, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Cool

I want to get a decent set of rims for my car but all I can ever find are 16" and I would like to stay with 15". I am looking for the crager 5 spoke (Torque 2 from crager). A freind of mine has a set of rally rims that are paintable but he said that they were from a comversion van. Are all Camaro's a 5 bolt 4 by 3/4 pattern or were there differences? Last but not least, I know its been asked a million times but what would be the largest 50 series tires that would fit without modification? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 00, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech

All Camaros came with 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern. The size tire you can fit will be determined by the offset of your rims and how high the car sits. Also how the rear end is centered in the car, will effect tire clearance.

Steve R.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 00, 10:53 AM

i have a set of torque thrust D on my 69,
they help retain the classical look., and
they arnt all that bad, a tad heavy but
they look pretty nice... they are 15in rims
which is something you are looking for correct? you can get them up to a 15x10 which
is pretty good., unless your going to do
a major tub...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 00, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

I am looking for the biggest tires I can stuff under the rear end without modification. If I put 15x10's on the back with 4 1/2" offset how wide a tire could I put on it. I want the Widest tire I can get. My friend said that I could get a 275r50 on the back without any rubbing. Would that take a 15x10 rim or could I use a 15x8 rim?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 00, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I had 265/50/15 when I first got my car and they rubbed all the time. The tires were mounted on 15x8.5 Centerlines with a 3.5 inch offset. I even had airshocks to jack the back up a little bit and they helped, but the tires rubbed everytime I pulled into the driveway.

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 02-22-2000).]
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 00, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

frank
A recent issue of chevy high performance had an article on how to measure your wheel well. As Steve said, every car is slightly different but the article will show you how to check yours. This will allow you to get the right tires the first time. I think it was the issue on sale now. If not, e-mail me and I'll look it up.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 00, 11:29 AM

Red face

Gheatly
i saw in a recent issue of hot rod magazine where there is a kit of 7 pieces where you can put on to make your tires stop rubbing. I think it's just a manufacturers problem where if you put on any bigger tires than stock then they would rub. I'll try to find out all the info for ya and get back.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 04:42 PM

just put a set if BF goodrich ta on my 69 and i used a 255 65 15 on a 8 inch rally and 215 65 15 on front of it with 15x7 rally looks great
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 00, 03:57 PM

I just put a set of BF G TA 225R6015 all round. I had to file down one of the wheel well insert bolts to keep it from rubbing at the front. 68
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 00, 04:47 PM

Wink

I am currently running 255/60's in my rear mounted on 15x8 rally rims and I have no problem at all ... but you were asking about 50's. 255/60 is not that big but it fits and does not rub and I am sticking with them. I have "Big O" tire out here and they are more than happy to mount and trial fit any tire you want. Some will do it for free but they may charge you each time. I think it would be worth it in your case to get the look you want. Plus you can "really" see how much clearance you have when your car is up on the lift!!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 00, 05:40 PM
Tech Team

the biggest tire with a 4 1/2 backspaced 15" rim is a N50-15. This will put about 12 inches of tread on the ground per wheel. If you want pictures send me an email and I will try to send you some shots. This is without tubbing etc. The tire will be VERY close to the shock and will go all the way to the extreme edge of the lip flair of the fender. I test fit tonight a 30.5 by 11.5 slick on a 15 by 10 with 4 5/8 backspacing (Supertrick rim) and the extra size hit the inner fender and the shock.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 00, 03:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
My camaro is a 67 RS, with the 10 bolt posi and multi-leafs, I put 10x15 wheels with 295-50-15. That's 12" of rubber on the ground without air shocks, but my car rides high in the rear with the multi-leafs. I recently put a Ford 9", 2" narrower, same wheels and tires (custom ralley's) with both bolt patterns and 4 3/4 back spacing. With KYB gas shocks (very stiff), all of rubber is inside. I have a 1/2" of clearance between inner fender and tire. (Close but no rub). Because of the multi-leafs, there is 2" between outer fender well and top of tire, that's why I don't rub. It doesn't look as bad as you would think, the car is NOT jacked up high in the rear. If any one would like to see pictures, please e-mail and I'll send photos.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 00, 03:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Forgot to post e-address: [email protected]
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Check out a set of Vintage 45 wheels from Vintage Wheel Works. They look just like the vintage Trans Am wheels that were used on the track. They are a 16 inch wheel and 16 inch wheels look great on 1st generation f-bodies. Its a stock look but with a flare of racing. I own a set of 48's for my 69 and I am very pleased with the quality and how light they are. Good Luck!

here is the link:
http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/Specs.html
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 04:00 AM

I've always liked the rallye wheel, and you can get them in any size. 16x8's would look pretty sweet.
http://salesco.com/wheels/vintage/pricing_page_5.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode