Repro Goodyear tires, are they worth it? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 00, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

I'm trying to decide(and I have plenty of time) if I should go with the repro Goodyears or Firestones on my 69 Z28. I plan on driving the car to shows and on weekends so are the repros safe to drive with? Any opinions or experiences appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 00, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

I have "redlines" on my 67.I like the way they look,and I will say I get many compliments on them.But these bias-ply tires ride like a brick IMO.Not to good on traction either.I will most likely be done skinning them this year.I am going to look into getting the radial repo redlines that Coker(?) makes.These don't fool anyone,or look as good as the bias ply IMO.With my upgrades,traction is starting to become an issue though.
As far as being safe,I have never heard of any one having a problem with them,outside of the traction issue.I'm sure someone will post if there is a problem.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

[This message has been edited by 67drake (edited 03-28-2000).]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 00, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Thumbs up

I will agree that they don't ride as well as today's tires, BUT, they CAN get better traction! Need proof? Just look at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags, and see what tires the front runners are wearing...that's right, repros! The key, explained to me by Dan Jensen, is to "pump 'em up", to around 40-45 lbs. or so. It all depends on the footprint you leave, which can be checked by leaving a short black mark. You want the mark as wide and as evenly dark all the way across as possible. A little experimenting with air pressure is all it takes, and you will definately notice a difference between a pumped up tire, and one with lower air pressure. Don't leave the high air pressure in them all the time, as it will stretch the tire.

There was an article in Muscle Car Review a year or so ago explaining this very thing, and it should be read by anyone who takes driving there muscle car seriously. They compared a set of repro Polyglass tires to a set of newer radials, and the Polyglass kicked BUTT! They said it was due to there being little space between the tread of the Polyglass, which led to little or no tread shift, which means it is kind of like a skinny slick. The smaller the grooves, the more rubber on the road. The big drawback here, though, is wet weather driving, which is kind of hairy, especially for us big block owners! I would definitely recommend the repro tires.

------------------
Rob Clary
'70 LS-6 Chevelle
Numerous Yenkos
Interested in COPOs, Yenkos or other dealer built muscle cars then go here: www.yenko.net

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

OK, has anybody found the Goodyears for the 69 Z28's for less than $200 a piece? If so, where?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 04:04 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Thumbs up

The extra PSI in the tires,that Chevy 454 mentioned, does work.I did this the last time I went to the track.It took about 50 PSI for my tires to give a nice even patch.
In regards to my last post,I think the reason my tires give marginal traction may be the fact that the F70-15's only have a 6 1/4" contact area with the pavement.A 245/60 15,for example has about 8".

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching,
4X4 CHEVY TRUCK
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 04:06 AM

Hey Chevy454, These cars are alergic to water anyways! Yes, if your driving your car here in the rain in the new millenium and its over 30 years old. Just pull into the nearest psychologist while your out on your way to buy some Bondo and get your head examined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode