Will IROC wheels and tires fit an '81 ? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 00, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Hello, i'd like to put a set of '87 or '88 IROC wheels and tires on my '81 sport coupe, currently has a V-6, but as soon as it reaches classic age I will be dropping in a 350...
Is this an easy bolt-up, or are there bolt pattern/clearance problems to look out for?

Thanx,
Manson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 00, 07:45 AM
Tech Team

What are the dimensions of the wheels? 15", 16"? What is the back spacing? I could be mistaken but I think they would bolt right on. The bolt pattern is definately the same. The only possible issue is the back spacing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 00, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

There in lies the question, the backspacing...hopefully someone who has a 3rd gen car with Iroc rims on it will notice, and let me know if it works...
Regards, Manson

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 00, 10:28 AM

I had 84 Z28 wheels on my 78 w/ no problems. I have seen camaros and firebirds with newer style wheels on them. The only real ansawer is to put them on go for a ride. Slow at first to hear for any rubbing in the corners or over bumps. I'm sure this isn't want you wanted to hear but it's the best way.
www.geocities.com/mcmoo_69
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 00, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech

Only problems you run into is if the IROC has rear disc brakes. These wheels are different from front to rear as the axle flange width on the rear is wider than the front.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a million for helping me out !

Now to find a set...

Regards,
Manson
Central New Jersey
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 02:10 AM

No first hand experience with this swap, but I have picked up a relevant piece of "rgi" (rumor, gossip & innuendo) you may want to know. Allegedly, 3gen IROC wheels fit better on 2gen cars if you "reverse" the fronts and backs. In other words, the ones that were on the back on the 3gen car should go on the front of the 2gen car. Backspacing is supposed to be different between front and back on 3gen IROC wheels (or so I am told). Worth a look anyway.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech

The back spacing is different front to rear on Iroc rims. I don't remember which has more. The set that has the least back spacing would more likely look better since it will be centered in the wheel well. Make sure you get the correct lug nuts, the taper is different from most popular rims so the lugs only touch on a small portion of the rim. It is not uncommon for the lugs to loosen. However, they do look nice.

Steve R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode