Wheel Back Spacing with Springs moved Inboard - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 00, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

My plans are to use a set of weld in frame connectors that say they have provisions to set the springs in-board. I believe this would be 2 inches. If I wanted to use a wider wheel and tire what would be the suggestion. Would I increase my offset one inche to 5 1/2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 00, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech

What car do you have? What size wheel/tire are you trying to run? You can generally get away with a 9-1/2" wheel with a 5-1/2" BS and a 275/50 tire in the 1st gen rear wheelwell. The limiting factor then is the actual sides of the wheelwell, not the spring. Unless you are doing a mini-tub job I'm not sure you'll gain much from relocating the springs.

Besides that - on a 1st gen car, the front of the leaf springs aren't the problem. The rear portion splays outward a bit and causes interference at the rear of the tire. To get additional room you would have to relocate the rear spring mounts inward - I'm not sure how you could do that with subframe connectors?

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 00, 10:05 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
You can move the springs in as far as you want , be without wheelwell mods. , forget it.on a 67 &68 4.5 is max b/s(on most)and not too sure on 69 and up.so this said w/o mods. a 67&68 max wheel and tire combo is 275/60/15 <--- or you could +/- sizes from there (as in a 14,16,17 wheel)

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 00, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm? I guess I should have said what kind and year for car....? I must have been reading about the car while I was type...

I have a 67 Firebird project car that I'm installing a Chevy 454 into. I want the widest tire/wheel combo because I've always liked that look.

Thanks for the input.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 00, 06:33 PM

I put 15x10 rims on the back of my 69 camaro with 295/50r15 tires. The offset was 5 inches. I used corvette rally whells from wheel vintiques. That is the widest combo I have been able to fit. I was running 275/60R15's on 15x7 rally's with a 4 1/2 inche backsetting. I also am running a 454 and needed all the traction I could possibly get. The 275's just weren't cutting it. The rims and tires do not protrude past the fender. They are actually even with the edge of the fender. This combo will not work on a car that has been lowered. You may have to cut the lower shock mount approximately 1 inch up and redrill a mounting hole. My car was lowered two inches previously and I had to cut the shock mount in order for the 275's to fit so when I raised it back up the shock mount was already modified. With the 67 having higher arched wheelwells you should not have a problem with rubbing the outer edge. It is pretty tight on the inside edge but I only hear it scrub on off camber driveways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode