69 Camaro Rims and Tires - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 00, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am getting ready to order rims and tires for my 1969 camaro. I have read most of the posts in this news group but I want to check before I order the rims. The biggest concern is the rear rims. I want to fit the largest set of tires under the wheel wells with minimal rubbing. I am thinking 9.5 rims. What backspacing should I use for the rims? I have a 12 bolt currie rear end coming but I have been told that the width is identical to the stock rear end. I am planning on 17" rims either TT2's or Billet Specialities Streamlines. I will be running Wildwood Disk brakes with 11" rotors (just in case this matters). What is a good tire size for the rear. At this point the car has not been lowered.

Thanks for your help
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 00, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech

As you may have seen from the earlier posts - 275/45/17's on 9-1/2" wheels seems to be the reasonably largest combo that will fit without other mods. I would guess that backspacing on the order of about 5-1/4" would be close to right but can't emphasize enough that since this combo will be a snug fit and all our cars vary a bit you will need to carefully measure your car on both sides. I would also count on rolling the lip a good bit and look carefully at the lower shock mount for interference.

My car currently has 255/45/17's on TT2 17x8's in the back. I'd like to step up to the larger set too but they're pricey and my shock mount is in the way due to 2" lowering blocks.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 00, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Scott,

Did you use standard TT2 rims/offsets or did you special order them? What size rims and tires are you using on the front?

Thanks Jeff

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 00, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech

I used standard 4" backspacing front and rear - but I have a 9" rear and it's not exactly the same width as a Chevy rear. I'm running 17x7 wheels and 245/45/17 tires on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode