ZR-1 STYLE WHEELS ON A '67 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 00, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Question

I've seen a picture of a '67 camaro with 17" ZR-1 style wheels in a chevy high performance mag. As anyone tried it, if so what's involved to make them fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 00, 12:51 PM

Talking

About 4 inches of spacers on the end of your hubs. I personally feel this is not SAFE. Besides for the money they want for the ZR1 wheels plus spending the bucks for the spacers you could buy you a nice set a Billet wheels made to FIT your car and be money ahead. Just my opinion

------------------
67 Convertible
97 Vette
Chevrolet powered boat 28ft Profile cat 502EFI Procharged with 13lbs boost radar 112 MPH
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 00, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech

Actually 4" of spacer would be way to much. Here is a link to the type of wheels your wanting and the backspacing of each. http://www.skulte.com/adapterfaq.html I've also seen spacers advertised in Truckin Magazine for about $50 each. I've seen the wheels advertised for $600 for a set of 4 painted silver, and $1000 for a set chrome. SLP has pretty good deals on them. So if you wanted the silver ones you could have a nice looking set of wheels for not much invested, just make sure you get the proper spacer.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 03:47 AM

Cool

IN the august '96 issue of Hot Rod. there is an article about a sweet '67 that had 17x11 ZR-1's on the rear. is a paragraph or two on how to get them to fit
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for all you help.

I accidently found the car i was looking for in the Hurst catalog. It's a bitchin '67 on p.48 (go to mrgasket.com for that catalog). I e-mailed their tech guys for more info but they didn't seem to eager to help. I should have told them i also wanted to buy a shifter!!!

I think those adapters might be the best way to go. I'm also looking into that '96 hotrod mag. By the way, i live near the SLP camaro shop in LaSalle, Quebec. I can get those ZR-1 wheels for a local speed shop that deals with them.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 06:34 PM

Ben 67, I think the car that your are refering to in the Hurst catalog is the "Red Witch" built by Mark Stielow.

Joseph
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 00, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Question

As that car been published in any magazines?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 00, 06:24 PM

I'm sure it has but it was built 4 or 5 years ago I think. If you can run a search through some mags. look at Chevy High Performance and Hot Rod. I'm sure these mags. would have had an artice on the Red Witch.

Joseph
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 07:19 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Hod Rod August 1996 pg 24. If you don't have that issue check your local library or http://www.hotrodarchives.com/HRM/TofC/199608tc.asp
I'm sure there are several others as well.

[This message has been edited by bretcopsey (edited 11-12-2000).]
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech
John

I'm sure you are thinking of the Red Witch...a very awesome looking car. I am pretty sure he minitubbed the rear to get those to fit properly. I've seen one at a show since with the spacers, I gotta say it didn't look that good. Good luck ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

I downloaded the "red witch" article
(thanks for the link BRETCOPSEY). There's a lot of cutting and welding involved; way out of my league! The wheels are 17x9.5 front , 17x13.5 rear and has '87 corvette spindles.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 02:01 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Your welcome, Ben67. A couple quick points about that car. First, the rear wheel width is a mis-print, they are 17x11". Secondly, if you want to run that size front wheel, I've seen from several sources that the widest tire that will fit the front is a 245/40/17 on that rim. The corvette spindles were added to change steering geometry and are not necessary just for adding the wheels. There are several posts in this section and under brakes & suspension regarding widest tires possible and performance upgrades for your brakes and suspension that are somewhat straight forward bolt-ons. Try a search on those topics, you might be surprised at what you find. You might also check www.detroitspeed.com for some ideas.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 03:11 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Ben,

Look aound some.... I saw several cars with ZR-1 style wheels that had different back spacing than the factory ZR-1's. You could tell because the lugs and center cap section was very deep dish compared with say the 17x9's on my '96... The rest of the wheel looked correct. The back of most mags have lots of adds for aftermarket ZR-1's, I would start there!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Smile

gbadams contacted me with a few interseting sites for the ZR-1.
www.gmpartsdirect.com
part numbers 10214046 and 10214047
www.afswheels.com
ZR-1 reproductions
www.pro-touring.com
pictures of the red witch, and others
www.competitionengineering.com
rear spring relocation kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode