Monster rubber for my 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 00, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Hi, Im hoping someone out there can help! Im going the pro touring route with my 69 and have seen a number of articles using the the 285 40 ZR17 and the 275 40 ZR17 on a 17x9.5 wheel. Did these guys have to modify anything? The articles are vague but one gave a backspace of 4 1/4. I did some measuring but it certainly didn't appear that was correct. Anyone been there, done that, that can save me some time. My car has a built 10 bolt but it's the stock width. back space and tire sizes front and rear would be a great help!!!! Thanks for your time. Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 00, 12:33 PM
67 camaro

iv read some of these articles i remember most of these cars r mini tubbed
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 00, 01:06 PM
Senior Tech

Check this post out - you can also check out my wheels and tires on my website below. There are many other posts on the subject which you can search for but I think this one covers it pretty well.
https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum8/HTML/000153.html

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

I am wanting to go pro touring with my '67 Camaro too. I have to wait, it's my daily driver, until I get my '65 Chevelle done (which is also running 17x11 rear and 17x9.5 front). Just for kicks last weekend, I jacked up the Camaro, and took the front 9.5's off the Chevelle. With 5.5 inches of backspace, the inside of the wheel cleared the shock by 1/2" (they are air shocks so they are kinda large in diameter) and had 5/8" clearance with the inside of the wheel well. I think I could get away with a 5" backspace and run a 10 inch rim. Sure would like to use 17x11's but I think they'd hang out too much. I had to mini tub my Chevelle to get them to fit, and it's a job moving those tubs in 1.5 inches. Also, the wheels I ran were the Centerline fluted stars, and they did a custom backspace of 7" for me when they made them. They advertise 6" and 7 3/4" but they were super about building the 7". It just took a month and a half to get them. Hope this helps!

------------------
M. G. Bingham
SLC, UT
56 Chev 2dr 150 sedan
1965 Chev Malibu 2dr hdtp
1967 Chev Camaro
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

Also, Hot Rod had an article (I can't remember the month, I just moved so I have to dig out all my issues) about fitting wheels. There was a clever little device where you use a piece of strap steel, drill holes to mount it on your axle, then drill adjusting holes every inch or 1/2 inch to simulate different size wheels. Then you can use threaded rod in the adjusting holes with jam nuts to create backspacing. Get it set up with the measurements you want, then spin the axle, if it hits anywhere, the wheels you want won't fit, if it clears then street meats here we come! I used it on my Chevelle, that's how I knew what size wheel would fit. It is a bigger help on the front where you can turn the wheels and rotate the tires to see it it hits swaybars, the frame, inner fenders, etc.

------------------
M. G. Bingham
SLC, UT
56 Chev 2dr 150 sedan
1965 Chev Malibu 2dr hdtp
1967 Chev Camaro
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 04:22 PM
Jeremiah

Pete.....Do not order the 9 1/2 with the 4 1/4" BS. That article is wrong I think they meant to say 4 3/4" witch would still require about half an inch of trimming on the wheelhouse lip. If it is the same articl they also said the front BS is 4 1/8".Trust me i have been through the same thing. We ordered some 17 by 9 1/2 Tourqe Thrust IIs for my wifes 69 Camaro with 4 3/4 BS and i still had to trim a half inch frome the outer lip. A 5" BS would be great and shouldnt require any trimming. The tire size is 275/40 and should work for you with no modifications. The 285 wont work without mods. I would go with a 5" backspacing on the front also with an 8" wheel. You wont have no clearance problems with the susp. components. The 235/45 looks good on the front. Good luck.....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 04:36 PM
Tech Team

Question

This doesn't seem quite right to me .I've been planning 17x9.5's on the rear also but I come up with a 5 1/2 inch b.s. with a 275/40/17. Any body disagree? I would like to know if anyone has any otheer info thanx.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds like 5.5 b.s. on a 9.5" rim is about right, I've seen several first gens now with this size wheel and a 275/40 17. That's what I'm going to get for mine, but I'm still going to do some measuring on my car just incase it's different.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech

Keep in mind that the section width on a typical 275/45/17 will be right at 11". My '69 measures out at 11-3/4" inside space. You don't have room to mess with the BS 1/2" one way of the other. If you don't nail it centered your tires will rub in a serious way.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 10:13 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
[email protected]$TeR,
5.5" of b/s on a '67???? is it mini-tubbed ? i have a 68 and 4.5 is max... stock wheelwells.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech

Check out this guys wheels and tires http://www.spiralcomm.net/landjjohn/camaro/ 9.5 w/ 5.5 backspace and 275/40 17. Steilows thrasher had 285/40 18 with 5.5 backspacing, not mini tubed. 67-68 are a different animal than the 69 since on a 69 the tire must fit up in the fender since the fender is squared off unlike a 67-68 where their fender is rounded and the tire rides under the outside edge of the fender. I had 275/35 20 with 4.5 backspacing with a 10" rim and it would have looked alot better with 5.5 backspacing, I had air shock then and to ride down the highway I just aired them up, at a show I'd let the air out. It would rub the outer fenders edge if I hit a big bump going down the highway, but it's a pretty freidly place that never really cause any damage to the tire.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode