1967 Camaro what size 16'' tires front and back will fit? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 01, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

I want to put 16" tires front and back. I was going to put 2" drop spindles up front and 2 " lower springs on back. Also, I wanted to keep the same tire all around. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech

245*50*16 or 255 50 16 will fit without rubbing too much, a little on the front in a tight turn, but the tire is a lower profile so the top clearance should be fine.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 11:55 AM

Front= 245/50/16 on a 16x8x5 4 3/4 with 4.5" of back spacing will work, but if you are worried about rubbing I would run a 245/45/16 tire on the same rim.

Rear= 245/50/16 or 255/50/16 on the above mentioned rim will work.

I run a 245/50/16 on all four corners, and have cycled the suspension without a spring in the car and it does not rub.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech

I recently purchased a set of vintage 45's that are 16x8 w 4.5 bs. I have a 68 with 69 style single piston caliper one piece hub/rotors. On the back I run 255/50/16's. They clear, but I do not run the chrome wheel well trim. In the front I have 245/50/16's they barely clear, again I am not running chrome trim. When cycling them through with out the spring I have about a 1/4 inch clearance with a brand new lower control arm bumpstop that it two inches high (uncompressed). These same wheels and tires rubbed on CarlC's 68 camaro, but he runs the chrome trims. My 2cents of advise: If you don't have means to check this out on your car before buying, or you don't want to roll your fenders the largest tire I would run is a 225 on the 16x8 w 4.5 bs. Of course this all changes depending on your track width and what kind of brakes you run.

------------------
1968 SS 350 coupe, w/ 406 inches of tremec shifted mouse.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Question

Are any of your cars lowered? If so how/ Spring or spindle? How much of a drop? Are they lowered in the rear? Using what? I like the new Hotchkiss stuff. What do you guys think?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech

Joe,

I have a set of the Hotchkis springs and sway bar. The front springs are 600lbs, the rear 175lbs. They will lower each car differently according to the weight of the car. Hotchkis says 2" drop in the front and 1.5" in the rear. From a performance handling stand point try a ride height setting at 9.5" from the middle of the lower control arm bolt to the ground.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 01, 06:37 PM

I have a 67 rs with cut springs, 1" spindle drop with my wilwood disc brake kit, and herb adams sway bars. I run 16x7 torq-thrust IIs with BFG Comp 225-50-16, and rear 16x8 with 255-50-16. great grip!

------------------
Cool Hand, aka The Great Cornholio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode