17 X 9.5 on a 67? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 01, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Is anyone currently running 17 X 9.5 on their 67? I'm thinking of doing this and would like any advice. My car has the factory 12 bolt rear. Thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 01, 05:55 PM
Tech Team

Talking

i have been doing a lot of research on this subject and a 275/40-17 will fit on 17x9.5" rims on the back of a 67 to 69 camaro if you move the rear shocks to the inside of the springs. you will also need 5" of backspacing to make them fitand maybe a little inner fender mod with a big hammer. good luck!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 01, 05:59 PM
Tech Team

Red face

WAIT ! thats 5 1/2" of backspacing on the 17x9.5"rim. sorry about that!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 01, 03:59 AM
Senior Tech

When I did the meauring on my car to see what are the biggest 17's I can fit, moving the shock inboard will do nothing. The limiting factor is the inner fenderwell, the shock is mounted behind the inner fenderwell at the top. And at the bottom, a 17" wheel is so big that the if you are using an original shock mount the shock can actually fit inside the wheel if alot of backspacing is used.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech

MarkM
The innerfenderwell is also the limiting factor on my 69. I know because my 15" tires make a nasty sound whenever one wheel on the rearend moves up before the other (like when one side goes up an incline or ramp first) and when you take off the wheel you can see the paint is rubbed off at the inner fenderwell.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech

However, if you lower a '69 with blocks it moves the lower shock mount down where it will hit even a 17" wheel. I have clearance for my 17x8's but they would hit if I go wider.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 07:16 AM
BTC
Senior Tech

my69gofast, Can you tell me how much space you have between you tire and the inner wheel well? I want to minimize this distance but I don't know how close I can get. I would like to go 0.7 inches. Is you spacing close to this?

------------------
68/Z28,35O LT1
RICHMOND 5 SP,
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech

BTC, I will check the clearance and post the results within the next day or two.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 01, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech

I had the same problem with the rear of my 69. You should be safe with 5 1/2" back spacing. A 275/40/17 is tight and the biggest you can go, you still might have some rubbing going in driveways and flexing the body.
I put 18X10 with 5 1/2" backspacing and a 295/35/18. I had to mini tub the wheel wells 3", notch the frame and relocate the shocks. Other than that they fit fine... lol
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech

jenndon - can you run thru the mini-tub effort for me? I know you have to remove the inner wheelhouse, trim out the same shape in the trunk floor a few inches inward, and then re-install with a patch panel to fill the gap. The springs can be relocated inward with one of the available kits.

What did you do with the framerails?
Did you move both shock mounts or just the bottom?
If you moved the top mounts also, did you use one of the standard kits?
Does your exhaust still fit all the way to the rear?
I assume you had to modify the gas tank? What did you do?
Does the stock rear seat still fit?

Anything else I need to know about?
Thanks!

------------------
Scott
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech

your right on the work for the wheel wells. I didn't use a kit, we made our own. The frame rail was nocthed and renforced with 1/4" chromemolly, we made a custom 9" rear end and used global west springs with mopar mounts and lower spring plates off of a duster i think. We then made a bar out of square tubing and notched it for the rear end because the car is lowered 2 1/4" and mounted the shocks to that. we didn't have to move the springs or mod. the gas tank because we cut the rear end to fit. the flowmaster american thunder system bolted right up with no problems. I can post some pic's is someone can tell me how? or email me and i'll send them to you...good luck
ps, don't know about the rear seat...it goes for interior next week
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

jenndon - Thanks for the info. I thought you had to move the rear mounts for the leaf springs inward for the 295's to clear but apparently not so that's good news. I sent you an e-mail so you can send me pics of the work (esp. the frame notching!).

Thanks again.

------------------
Scott
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

Question

Jenndon, just curious, did you weld the square tubing to the frame? This is a similar set up I use to mount the rear shocks on my stock car. We used square tubing, welded it to the rear frame, then welded aftermarket shock mounts to the tubing. The lower spring plates I used have shock mounts built in. Of course this is using welded bearing racing shocks. All the parts I used were available through circle track vendors. This method works great,it just depends on how much you are willing to depart from the stock look of the car.

------------------

Racer#00

Plain Jane 67
76 Trans Am Stock Car
74 Z28 (Basket case)
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech

yes, we welded the square tube to the inner frame rails and mounted the shocks to that, the lower mounts had shock mounts on them already....
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 01, 06:19 AM

Thumbs up

I have a 67 camaro and am going to put 315 tires with a 17x11 rim I have two options from www.afswheels.com wheels either 7.93 backspacing or 7.3 backspacing which one would fit best? How wide of a rear end would I need also? Thanks for your help. Matt PS do you think these rims will still work with my flowmaster exhaust with the polished stainless steel tips? I know I will have to minitub but I want to know how wide the rear end is so I can have currie build me one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode