widest with only the shocks moved - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 03, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am fixing to relocate my shocks to get ready for a mini tub. How wide of a wheel and backspacing can I get by with with only the shocks moved, and still "tuck".
Will a 15x10 with 6" offset work?
Thanks,
Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 03, 03:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Are you widening the inner wheelwell tub? You said mini-tub, but only mentioned moving the shocks. Without removing and widening the inner wheelwell you'll never get a 6" b.s. wheel in there. It will hit the wheelwell before the shock. 5" b.s. in a 15" wheel BARELY clears.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 03, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I found a post on the board about a 17X9.5" with 5.5" b.s. fitting. How come the 15" won't mount with the same backspacing.

thanks,
Shane

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 03, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

I think there is some confusion as to whether or not you are mini-tubbing or only moving the shock. I'm pretty sure Jody is saying 5" bs in a stock wheel well.

Post exactly the modifications you will be doing and someone can give a little better answer-but remember in the end it is best for to measure your own car. Each car is different.

Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe

'51 Chevy 3/4ton
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 03, 09:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Shane,

I had the 17X9.5 with 5.5" b.s. and it will clear the stock wheelwell. The reason the same thing in a 15" doesn't is because of the way the 15" tires are made versus the 17". With a 17" the sidewall is only barely wider than the rim. On a 275/60-15 for example, there's quite a sidewall bulge as compared to a 275/40-17. On a friends 69 we used 15X8" with 5" b.s. and 275/60-15 DR's. They BARELY cleared the inner well.

Now if you're planning on running a narrow 15" where the tire actually has to be pulled out to reach the rim and be seated, resulting in no bulge, then you can run a 15" with more backspacing. But usually anyone trying to run that much b.s. on a 15" wheel/tire combo is trying to stuff as much tire as possible in there. The other thing is that the 17" wheel goes over the lower shock mount, whereas on a 15" more than 5" b.s. (and even 5" sometimes) will hit the lower part of the shock due to the edge of the 15" rim lines up directly with the bottom of the shock.

Jody

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 03, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

For right now I am not mini tubing. I am just relocating the shocks. Sorry for the confusion. Can I cut off the shock mount after I relocate without any problems on the 15" wheel?

Thanks,
Shane
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 03, 10:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I guess I don't understand the shock moving. It's not required for up to 5" b.s. and you aren't going to get more than that to fit the car anyway. What size tires and wheels are you trying to fit?

Jody

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 03, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was trying to fit a 15x10 and either a 295-50 or a 275-50.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 03, 05:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I fit a 275/50-15 tire with a 15X8" (5" b.s.) and the lip had to be trimmed to clear. Anything wider (wheel or tire) would be an issue. Those tires have the sidewall bulge I was speaking of. Now if the car sits high in the rear that will change things. This was a stock height car.

Jody

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode