Tire Dressing Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 27th, 03, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
Does anyone have a suggestion for a dressing that DOES NOT fling off onto the fenders when driving?

I am looking for something in a satin sheen.

-Funk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 03, 03:42 AM
Senior Tech

Cfunk I feel your pain but I to have tried them all.I have a dark blue 1500 chevy truck tried spay ,wipes and jell.But this is what I found I use Turtle wax in the spray can.I made a card board circle the size of the rim,fits on the inner edge.Spray the wheels with the foam let sit for 15 minutes the use a sponge damping it with the spray and wipping it around the wheels to pick up the eccess spray also speading it equal around the tire.After that I have no sligging wheel cleaner problem. And the truck no spadder. Hope this helps works for me I use the same sponge for touch ups.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 03, 03:43 AM
Senior Tech

Cfunk I feel your pain but I to have tried them all.I have a dark blue 1500 chevy truck tried spay ,wipes and jell.But this is what I found I use Turtle wax in the spray can.I made a card board circle the size of the rim,fits on the inner edge.Spray the wheels with the foam let sit for 15 minutes the use a sponge damping it with the spray and wipping it around the wheels to pick up the eccess spray also speading it equal around the tire.After that I have no sligging wheel cleaner problem. And the truck no spadder. Hope this helps works for me I use the same sponge for touch ups.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 03, 05:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Like Fred I have tried many products over the years. What I have found is drying off the tires after applying the dressing stops the product from ending up on the painted surfaces after a spin around town. Doesn't matter what I've used as long as after applying it to all 4 tires I go back with a dry towel and go over each tire again.

I clean tires with an SOS pad and water and that gets any old dressing off them. You might actually like the look at that point without dressing. Turtle Wax made a product called "Tire Gel" that I really liked but stopped making it for some unknown reason. I liked it enough to write them when I couldn't find any more...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 03, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech

Meguiars makes a product called TIRE ENDURANCE, great stuff, available everywhere. Its a nice tire gloss stuff, you apply and it won't run everywhere or sling off the tire, plus it keeps the tire glossy longer than anything else. Other option is to blechewhite your tires clean, then apply some Lexol Vinylex, let it sit for 5 minutes and do one dry wipe to clean the excess off.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 28th, 03, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Excellent suggestions, thanks.

-Funk

-Funk

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 03, 12:02 PM
Apprentice
Dave

I had a product from the Dri-Wash folks that was for vynil and rubber, don't remember the name. Gave a good finish and stayed put. It also smelled like strawberries so it confused the hell outta the dogs. Most times tho I just use a little brake fluid on a rag. Wipe it on, let it sit for a bit, then buff it with a dry rag. Don't get it on white letter or whitewalls. Be sure to get rid of any globs as we all know how wunderful brake fluid is for paint. If ya do it right, the tires are round and black without that fake Revell/ArmourAll look and it is cheap.

Tuxedo Black '69 RS Convertable with White Z stripes and White Houndstooth interior.
70 Chevelle Malibu Granpa Car, All stock and gonna stay that way
07 FJ Cruiser, it's the dogs car he just lets me drive
02 Corvette, wife's fun car
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 03, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
Zach

i think i've tried just about every tire dressing too. Stoner tire shine is the best thing i've found, i think it may be called more shine, less time. i won't use anything else since i found it a couple years ago. no runs, nice satin shine.

69 Camaro - LeMans blue w/ black vinyl top - 350/TH350
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 03, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Stoners is about the only one I haven't tried.

Do you get any sling on the fenders after driving the car?

-Funk

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
Zach

Just a few times. Let it sit for maybe 10 or 15 mins and it shouldn't fling anything off. It's aerosol and it pretty much just sticks and stays right away. you get the final look right when you spray it, no runs or drips. I think the only time i've had a little fling off is when the tire was still a little wet from washing or i drove it right after spraying. best i've found yet though.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech
Zach

Angry

check this out, just got the web site off the can...
http://www.moreshine.com/

69 Camaro - LeMans blue w/ black vinyl top - 350/TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode