Stuck Wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Al

Hello....

I have a '67 Camaro that I just purchased. I tried the other day to remove the wheels and was able to get the lug nuts off without any problem, but when I went to pull the wheels off they seemed to be stuck to the hub. I used a wire bruch and some penetrating oil, but no use. They're still stuck. I've tried taking a piece of wood and hammer to the back and no good. Has anybody ever experienced this before or does someone know of a way to get them off without damaging the wheels? I imagine they've been on for a long time!

Thanks for your help!

Al

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Usually by the third kick with the foot/boot, they fall off. My suggestion would be to unload a 50 lb. CO2 bottle onto the axle hub sticking out to shrink the hub. Or with a pair of cold mittens, place 15 lbs. of dry ice onto the hub, not all 15 lbs. at one time, but, continuously.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Al

Interesting....

I'm wondering if there's some kind of a tool like a pulley puller or something that can be used...? These guys are on there pretty good. I don't want to bend the darn wheel or put any dings in it. I'm not sure how the cold idea will work. Maybe so... Thanks for the idea! Any others....?

Al

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Another member had this problem and solved it by loosely installing the lug nuts (I'd do one wheel at a time ), meaning about 1/16" less than snug -then jamming them with spare nuts to make sure they don't loosen any more- and drove around the block until the wheel loosened up.

I don't recommend doing any fast driving or getting on busy streets, but a slow neighborhood cruise shouldn't hurt anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Al

Thanks Scott. I can't drive this car yet, because there's a prob with the brakes. I have it up on stands right now because of this brake problem and was hoping there might me a tool or some special trick to get the darn things off so I can work on the brakes. Maybe not...

Al
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 1FASTZ Send a message via Yahoo to 1FASTZ
Have you tried taking a sledge hammer to them. Obviously, you'd want to you hit the tires and not the rims. It sounded like you have already tried a hammer, but I'm talking about a big ol' heavy duty sledge hammer. It's worked for me in the past for stuck wheels.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FASTZ:
Have you tried taking a sledge hammer to them. Obviously, you'd want to you hit the tires and not the rims. It sounded like you have already tried a hammer, but I'm talking about a big ol' heavy duty sledge hammer. It's worked for me in the past for stuck wheels.
\ I have worked in the past at different auto repair/service places,and had to deal with stuck
rims,more than once. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
loosen the lug nuts,not quite half way off, spray penetrating oil,on all lugs,and the center of the hub,{something good like "PB Power Blaster}.http://www.arizonatools.com/catalog/...2309&catId=377

Support the car,and spray again from the rear,
get a BFH,sledgehammer,and hit the REAR of the rims,hit twice,and rotate the wheel/tire assembly 90 Degrees,pound the dang thing again,repeat,;If it doesn't loosen by the time you have rotated the tire twice,all the wat around,then you may have to use an impact hammer,with a flat knob looking attachment,around the hub/rim attaching area,and the try hitting again!
When you reassemble,wire wheel clean the mating surfaces,and lightly coat with Anti-seize.
{DoNot get never-seize/anti seize on the brakes tho, } [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

I sold my Camaro,hope the current owner drives it.
Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I live near Albany,NY USA,
where are You?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Al

Thanks 1FASTZ and Cavemanmoron for the advise. I have tried hitting from the rear with a small sledge and piece of wood. I think what I may do is let the air out of the tires and set the piece of wood agaist the rim. Then use the pound and rotate method. I'll step up on the sledge too. I have it up on stands so it's not too much of a problem. I guess there's just no easy way to do this thing. Why don't people take care of their stuff.....

Thanks for all the advice guys! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Al

[img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 04:34 AM

soak the hubs and studs every half hour for a day. Then get on your back with the soles of your feet on the tires and using the bottoms of your feet, give them a good wack. Continue rotating the tire and wacking them and the wheel will come off. NEVER do this when you are under the car, because you can generate enough force with your legs to knock the car off the stands.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Al

Thanks Restoman. Nope....don't want no car fallin' on me! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode