16" Wheels tire size? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

I have bought 16 x 8 Edelbrock 409 wheels for my 67 RS convertible. The backspacing is 4.5".

I am looking at putting either 225 55 or 225 50 tires on the vehicle. I don't want to have any rubbing problems. Also, I would like to have some sidewall to absorb street hazards and give a decent ride. My tire will be Goodrich TA KDW.

Any experience, or tips?

67 RS Convertible Camaro Restification completed August 2009. All original with updated drivetrain -Marina Blue exterior 327 with Proflo2 EFI Tremec 5 speed. Paint and Body by Lanzinis Bodyworks of Huntington Beach. Great fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 05:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I just had Vintage Wheel Works V45's put on ( 16x8 - 4.5" BS ). With 245/50-16 on the front and 255/50-16 on the rear, there are no fitment issues. On a 68, CarlC, and perhaps others, have done the same on 68's and commented that they replaced the inner fender bolts with button head ones to eliminate some rubbing at lock.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

Thanks for the reply. How are the 50s runniing on that convertible. I am thinking that the sidewall may be too small for the stone age suspension on these cars. Are you getting enough give for a good ride? Also, how are the wear characteristics? If I stick with the 55 series, it sounds like I might be able to get away with 235/55 16s without too much of a problem.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 02:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

My initial impressions are that the steering response is crisper and the car rides great. The 50 series still offer good sidewall height and look good. I still need new shocks too.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 03, 03:31 AM
Tech Team

I put 16x8(4.5"BS) and 16x7(4"BS) American Racing Hopsters with 245-50's and 225-50's Kuhmos on my '69. They look great. There is a nice sidewall and no rubbing problems. And believe it or not, it drives and steers better than when I had 205-70's and Rallys on it.

'69SS396 4 sp. coupe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 03, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

69SSBIGBLOCK, any pics of those Kuhmos?

68 Camaro Roller | 68 Camaro (#matching) | 69 Camaro
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 03, 07:13 AM
Tech Team

KWIK 69, I don't have any pics as yet. Since I'm basically a computer dumb-dumb, I'll try to enlist my son or some computer savvy friend to take some digital pics and post them for me.

'69SS396 4 sp. coupe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 03, 09:01 AM
Tech Team

Kwik 69,

I have a pair of 245/50-16 front and 255/50-16 rear Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712. I like them very much, providing very good dry traction and excellent wet traction. 6 weeks ago we started our tropical-intense rainy season that will last 'til mid-november and you can really put their wet-traction to test. Besides they are very affordable. Here's a link so you can see their tread design. Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712

Jorge
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 03, 09:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

69SS, bring her down to Huntington, and I'll take the pics for you! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 03, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

End of story is the 225 50 Goodrich TA KDW tires are now on the vehicle mounted on the Ultra Wheel Edelbrock 409s. The combination looks great and provides ample rubber for a 327 Convertible. I haven't mounted the fenders, and the vehicle has 2"lower Hotchkiss springs on the front, but I don't anticipate any rubbing problems based on how things look.

Thanks again, everyone for the great advice.

67 RS Convertible Camaro Restification completed August 2009. All original with updated drivetrain -Marina Blue exterior 327 with Proflo2 EFI Tremec 5 speed. Paint and Body by Lanzinis Bodyworks of Huntington Beach. Great fun!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 03, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Bill, I'd love to see some pics of your 67 RS with those wheels. How about it.

Mike
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 03, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

Sorry for the very late reply. I don't have a photo, but you can go to the Ultra Wheel website and they have the wheel on a 68 Camaro. It is the Edelbrock 409 wheel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode