question about 18s - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 03, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Question

hey i'm new to the board, i've done a lot of searching but still can't make up my mind. i have a 67 camaro. i want to run 245/40/18 on the front and 285/40/18 on the rear. what would be the ideal backspacing for this setup?
the front has disc brakes and the rear has drums and i'm not upgrading to all wheel discs anytime soon.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 03, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech

I think your best be would be 4.75" bs front. And 5.75" bs in the rear. The rear may run a little close to the inner fender, if so you can ad a small spacer and still be ok. But I would take that risk to get the tire as far away from the outside fender as possible.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 03, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

i forgot to mention the front wheels will be 18x8" wheel and the rear will be a 18x9" wheel

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 03, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech

I have 18x8 w 4.5"bs and a 245/40/18 tire in the front. You could go upto a 5"bs.

In the rear I have 18x10 5.5" bs and a 295/35/18 tire. I had to mini tub 3" relocate the shocks and narrow the rear end to make them fit
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 08:47 AM
V8

jenndon, out of curiosity If you're going to mini-tub your car, narrow the rear and relocate the springs/shocks...why not move up to 315's if not 335's???? If you had gone with a 9.5 inch rim and 285 tire you could of saved all that extra work & cash and the difference in the rear wheels would of been very small IMO.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech

I'm running 245/40's on 18x8 with 5" BS on the front. 255/45's on 18x8 with 5.25 BS on the rear. The tire is close to the inner rear fender and rubs when angling into parking lots. I don't think the rearend is centered because there is more than enough room on the other side. Good with a 9" wheel and bigger tire to fill rear fender.

'

'69 RS/SS X-22 M21 Lemans Blue #'s matching. '99 HD Night Train
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 03, 06:31 AM

Angry

V-8,

My rear wheels are C-5's that are 9.5" wide(total rim width is 10", with a 275/40-18 tire mounted the total width is 11"). The distance from the inner wheelhousing to the inner edge of the quarter lip is 12 1/8". I might have go with a different size tire to clear or roll the quarter lips.

I really think this can be done w/o mini-tubbing, but I will still need to test fit the 18's with the tires mounted to be sure. I'm with you on mini-tubbing....if you have to go through that much work...I personally would have justify the work by putting some big rubber back there!

With a precisely measured spacer-the wheels will fit especially if the lips are rolled. **When I refer to "spacers" I am not intending on using a five-holed "washer", but a high strenth machined billet spacer with hardened studs. These are in essence designed just like adapters, but with the same pattern from hub to wheel.

The 17" C-5 front wheels are are only 8.5" wide, and will be no problem at all.

Richz68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode