Rally Wheels on a 68 camaro w/9" rear end? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 03, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Was wondering if anyone knows if any aftermarket wheel vendors sell Rally wheels that will fit a Ford 9" rear end bolt pattern???
Just curious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 03, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
US Wheel has a pretty good selection.

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 03, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech
Dan

American racing's rallys are dual bolt pattern so they can fit gm and ford axels. -Dan

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 03, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys! I know some will frown on this move but I am going to put a 9"Ford rear in my 68 coupe. It`s out of a 79 Granada. The flange to flange measures 58 1/2 & will fit with perch relocation. Any clues as to anyone who sells U joints that will bolt to my drive shaft & mate with the pinion yoke on the 9"?
Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 03, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Conversion u-joints are available, I used them years ago with good luck before I had an aluminum shaft made. Unfortunately I can't recall who made them, but it was one of the 'standard' automotive u-joint supply catalogs, not a specialty company. When I did it the driveshaft length was ok too. -Dan
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 03, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

i recently put a 9 inch in my '67,
i ended up having to use a longer driveshaft;
i got lucky i had one from a junked vehicle,and it
was an inch longer,and i also had a yoke that was about 3/4 inch longer overall length {from the splined end to the u joint end;the part that slides into the tranny was standard length,for my Muncie/PG/turbo 350..}

with the stock yoke/driveshaft only about 25%
of the yoke was going into my tranny,and i had a bad vibration at any speed over 45 mph.it was really bad at 75,and i knew something was wrong,
Next time i will know to look at the tranny end,to be sure its not too short!

I had heard i might have to get my driveshaft made shorter,and thought i had lucked out with the stock setup.

The different driveshaft uses the large GM ujoints,{#3311?} and fit into the 9 inch perfect.

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

I sold my Camaro,hope the current owner drives it.
Email

I live near Albany,NY USA,
where are You?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 03, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech
dan

I installed a 9" ford rear in my 68 that came out of a 77-79 Lincoln Varsalies. Its a factory disc rear. Perches fit perfectly. I recently picked up a rally rim to use as my spare from US wheel. It has the unilug bolt circle 4-1/2" and 4-3/4" and is a 15x5. If I have a flat the spare will fit on the front or back. How nice!
When I ordered my 3rd member I was told Ford had a large and a small pinion yoke. He sent me the small yoke and it bolted up perfectly to the stock U-joint. I also needed the longer trans yoke, for the original only went in the trans about 1" A local trans shop may have a longer yoke for you? Good luck!

68 RS
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 03, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech

my 9 inch has Moser axles,with the small/Camaro/chevelle etc,GM bolt pattern,and the ford brake drums were redrilled
to the small GM bolt pattern;also.
{GM also has a Large 5 lug bolt pattern used on some full sized cars/1/2 ton pickups/1/2 and 3/4 ton vans etc..}

My rear end overall width is about an inch less,and i had to use my Stock 15x8 4 inch back spaced Rallye rims,vs the 15x8 5 inch bs Wheel Vintiques i had bought for the stock rear end..so the tires would not rub.. Lucky i kept the old factory 15x8's, LOL [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

I sold my Camaro,hope the current owner drives it.
Email

I live near Albany,NY USA,
where are You?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Sixd8rs, Do you think if you had gone with the large pinion yoke, that would have added to the overall length of the drive shaft & put the trans yoke further in the in the tail shaft? Is it possible that would have eliminated the need for a longer trans yoke? I knew about the length of the Lincoln rear, but had no clue the perches would bolt up without having to be moved... Those rear ends are becoming more & more difficult to come by...
I appreciate your input!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 03:46 AM
Senior Tech
dan

GWM 68, I think the only difference in the two pinion yokes is the size of U-joint cap that will fit them. I dont think there is a difference in length. I didnt have both in hand to look at but it could be possible?
The rears are getting hard to come by! I did see one on e-bay a couple weeks ago. It sold cheap....just over $200!

68 RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode