Trim ring help! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

I just switched 15x7s on the front and 15x8s on the rear. I just noticed my 15x8 trim rings are too deep and won't fit. After looking online at Rick's, it looks like the 15x7 trim rings have squared edges versus the rounded 15x8 rings.

Surely I am not the only one with this combo. Do you run the 15x7 rings all the way around or do they look OK as mixed pairs? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
I assume you are trying to fit your 15x8 rings on a 15x7 rim, correct?

You are going to have trouble finding 15x8 trim rings that have the "squared edge" that fit right. All the ones I ran across were not deep enough on a 15x8 rim. Nobody makes a 15x8 ring with the "square edge", I dare you, no wait, I DOUBLE DOG dare you to make a liar out of me. I searched and searched to no avail. Even consulted the guru's here and no joy.

I finally broke down and bought the correct 15x7 and 15x8 "round" edge trim rings for the front (15x7) and rear (15x8). I was worried about the look but they look fine IMHO. Would have liked to gone with the square edge all around but the lack of a 15x8 square edge made me change my mind.

-Funk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 03:08 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I think I have some 15x8 tim rings with the outer steped edge on the lip. They are not in very good shape but are usable on a daily driver. I can take a look and get a picture of them tonight.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 05:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Same problem here. Rick's catalog even makes mention of it.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Never heard of anyone selling them with matching lip conditions. I might ask Wheel Vintiques if they have a solution. I know this comes up very often.

-Mark.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Lightbulb

Are these the type of rings your talking about?

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Angry

Stingr69 wins the trophy! Wheel Vintiques has the matching rounded (Corvette style) 15x7 rings. I already had the rounded rings vs. the square edge, as I like them better.

FYI - Rick's only sells sets. WV will sell individuals, which was very attractive in my case.

Thanks to everyone for their help!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
Ok, well maybe I misunderstood your question. I thought you were aksing for a 15x8 ring with the "stepped lip".

Bottom line is nobody makes a 15x8 trim ring with the "stepped lip".

Joe, I would be willing to bet those trim rings aren't 3.5" deep. Which is about the minimum depth need for it to look right on a 15x8 rim.

BS of the rim and trim ring depth comes into play here a little bit.

-Funk

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Question

I Thought you were looking for the stepped ring also. in that case try O Reily (spelling) Auto parts I bought a set there about year ago that are rounded.

Funk your correct mine are 3 inches deep. I had a set of 15x7 Rally's from a 68 Vett. The 68 Vett's ran a 15x7 with a special back space, use the trim rings I have. Very cool wheels look like 15x8 because of the trim ring but they are 15x7. I have a pair on the rear of my Camaro. Everyone thinks I have 8's on the back.

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode