Major front tire rubbing -- Help!! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Unhappy

I lowered my 69 with the Hotchkis suspension and now I have a front end that rubs real bad. I'm running Cragar SS's now with 265 - 15s TA radials, what is the largest that I can run and get away from the rubbing? I'm not sure on the back spacing but with the older Cragars you dont have a choice. I plan on going with 17" Cragar SS next spring but for this years budget I have to stay with the setup I have now. Also what is the largest size 17" I can run without any scaping? What backspace front and rear, and what width rim?
Thanks a million,
Mike

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 08:06 AM

I am running a 245/45/17 on the front of mine with the Hotchkis sb front springs and a iron bbc. I get an occasional rub on the inner fender. You did not post the aspect ratio of your tire 45, 50, 60, 70 or 75. We need that information to see what size your tire OD is. I would not go over 25.5 inches in diameter. That is about the max you can go on an 8" with 4.5 bs.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Wink

Call me slow today but what is the aspect ratio?

Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hey Mike, Click here for the answer to your question.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 10:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Angry

40 series, 50 series, etc.

265/60-15 = treadwidth of 265mm, sidewall height is 60% of the treadwidth, 15 inch tire.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Oh, OK fronts are 265/60x15 rears are 245/50x15 I'm not sure what the beack spacing is but its not enough.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 01:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Mike,

Are you sure it's a 265/60 on the front? That is way too tall even with the proper offset if the car is lowered. That's more of a rear size. Maybe it's a 225/60 or 236/60-15?

Jody

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 02:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Sooo...your fronts are bigger than your rear tires?

Huh?

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

No there bigger, I know I had to double check too, just to make sure. Thats the boys at Les Schwab for you. Do you suggest a size?
Thanks,
Mike

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I run 245/60/15's on all 4 corners on stock 15x7 rallys. The front fender needed a small bend inside the lip on the extension. I used a pair of pliers and did not need to repaint or anything. Nothing bigger than that will fit on the front. Hope this helps.

-Mark.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 04:14 PM

Smile

To me the look is a 25.5" tall front tire used with a 26.5" tall rear tire! E/60-14's and L/60-14's! But the L I have is like a 298/53-14 tire so go figure calling it a 60 series????

And for 17's, I have mounted 225/45-17 fronts and 255/45-17 rears jusat to assire of no rubbing, but will probably end up with a 285/??-17 rear after I burn the ones I have off!..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode