Djd why did you go from 275 to 255? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 03, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

DjD,
I'm going to order my Cragar SS's tomorrow in 17" but I have not decided on a tire yet I'm leaning on the Comp TA series but have not decided yet (any suggestions?) Anyway how come you went from a 275 40 to a 255 45? I have been following your set up very close as I think we do about the same with our cars. My problem with the 265 50 is I cant get more than 2 people without major rubbing.
Thanks,
Mike

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 03, 06:17 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I downsized from 275/40/17s to 255/45/17s on the rear of the '69 to avoid rolling or triming the fender lip or damaging the outside of the tires. It wasn't a problem with just me in the car but by the time the family is all loaded and the car is full (that's loaded in the car, not drunk!) driveways and intersections were a problem when turning or going through at an angle to avoid scraping the subframe... Still a bit of rub on the inside when going through a driveway at an angle sometimes but that will be resolved if I ever get disc's in the rear and subframe connectors. The section width difference was just under 1" with less than 4/10" height diff. It was a good trade off and the 275's will fit the '96 which will be needing tires soon...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 03, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Dennis,
How would a 6" backspace work? Keep in mind I have rear disc brakes?
Thanks,
Mike

Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 03, 09:22 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I think you would find your tires rubbing on the inner fender. I could use about an 1/8" extra clearence on the inners with the 255's. As I understand it a disc conversion moves the mounting surface our about 3/16" to 1/4". If you ran 255's with a 6"bs you would still have a 1/4" less room than I do.

I don't think it's worth spending about $200 for 1/2" adapters but if you are set on your wheel choice you could do it.

From my experiences it's all about flex, the tires flex some, the convertible flexes more than the coupe. My problem has always been driveways. If they are too steep do take head on without rubbing the underside of the car you have to go through them at an angle. When you do the car twists, subframe connectors run front to back and only help side to side flex so much. I'm actually thinking about a larger sway bar up front so I can put a small one in the back.

Dont get me wrong, my current setup only crops up with a car full and only every once in a while... I hust hate hearing the rub when it does happen.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 03, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Me to I hate the rubbing it just makes me want to go home.
17x7 5x4.5 4.5
5x4.75 4.5
5x5 4.5

17x8 5x4.5 4.5
5x4.75 4.5
5x5 4.5
5x5.5 4.5
5x135 4.5

17x8.5 5x4.5 5.5
5x5.5 5.5

17x9 5x4.5 6
5x4.75 6

17x9.5 5x5 6
5x5.5 6
5x135 6

Here is a list of the Forged Cragar SS's Do you see anything that would work with 255 40 17

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 03, 03:19 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
If you're set on the forged SS Mike Give Cragar a call. There's an orange '69 coupe running around Pleasanton that's participated in the Silver State Classic (high speed open road competition) He's running an all Global West suspension with a really nice lowered stance. He's running O.Z. 17x8.5's with 5" bs W/ 255/55's in the rear. If you have a summer 2002 Camaro Performers, it's featured.

I wouldn/t run his front combo but you could put 17x8.5's (5"bs) with 255/45's out back. Again verify with Cragar that they feel they will fit you car and lug pattern...

...Dennis

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 03, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Question

Crager told me I could get a 5.5 inch backspace with a 17 x 9.00 rear rim and 4.5 inch backspace with a 17 x 8.00 front will this work with 235 40 17's & 255 40 17's?
Thanks,
Mike
[img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 03, 08:22 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
No, I'm not going to pay for them too!! LOL!!

I know it's a tough decision but you need to make it not me. The 9.0's with a 5.5 BS puts the wheel/tire in the same place on the inside as a 9.5 with a 5.5 BS. The difference is it doesn't use as much of the outer space from hub to the fender lip. You should have lots of outer clearence. If you have disc's you shouldn't have any rubbing on the inside.

Some tire insite: (apx do to dif tire manufactures spec's)

255/45/17's are about 26" tall, have a 10" sect width and a 4.5" sidewall...

255/40/17's are about 25" tall, have a 10.4" sect width and a 4" sidewall... Both have a 9.1" tread width.

235/45/17's are about 25.5" tall, have a 9.4" sect width and a 4.16" sidewall and a 8.5" tread width.

235/40/17's are about 24.5" tall, have a 9.4" sect width and a 3.7" sidewall and a 8.2" tread width.

Pic's from Tirerack.com

...Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode