67's running 17's - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 03, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have 67 running 275 40 17 with 5.5 B/S in the back. I have 3/8 spacer to account for disc brakes that are coming soon and I have tire rub on the inside wheel well. I know 69's don't have to mod the car to make them fit. Are any of you 67's running this combo? If so what mod's have you done to make them fit? or have you gone to smaller tires? A recent post talked about this but no 67's chimed in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 03, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Is the tire rub on both sides or just one side? It's pretty common for the rear-end to be shifted towards one side on these cars.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 03, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech

Not sure about a 67, but I know on a 68, as long as you have a fresh well adjusted suspension, this combo is supposed to work without any issues:
17X8.5 with 5" BS for the front, and 17X9.5 with 5.5" BS for the rear. You could mount 245/40's to the front and 275/40's to the rear and I have been told this combo will work without any trickery such as minitubbing, or moving shocks inboard, etc. Just bolt them up, check for interference on lip and inner well and massage as necessary to stop the occasional rub.
I confirmed this with DSE and a few other reputable shops and they all agree.
I have not yet settled on the wheels I want, but eventually, I'll be putting this combo on my 68 wth discs.

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 03, 04:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Lightbulb

I've heard a few people complain of rubs with 275's on the back now. I am going with 255's on my first set, and then measuring to see how much extra room I will have next time.

17x8 5" bs front
17x9.5 5.5" bs rear

Hotchkis susp, discs all the way around, but my car is apart at the moment.

Gary

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 03, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

camcojb It is only on one side and I'll check to see if the rear has shifted if so how do you correct?
Meanchicken I am not sure if the 68 is different but I know the shock placement is different they are staggered on 68's and 69's.
Also the tire in no way will tuck under a fender at that size. I still have not seen a 67 with that tire size rim combination fit under a fender without modification. Hopefully I am wrong and someone with a 67 will chime in.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 03, 03:01 PM

Smile

You can cut and shim you shackles rubber or poly bushing flanges a bit and try to move the front mounts a schosh by their three holes slop, but other then that, that's about it!!..

pdq67

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 03, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

pdq are you running 17's?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 03, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech

"Meanchicken I am not sure if the 68 is different but I know the shock placement is different they are staggered on 68's and 69's. "

67RSRAG,
I pulled the tire wheel combo in my previous from the January 2002 Chevy High Performance issue that was showing how to stuff the largest possible tire under the Camaro. This was the combo carefully measured and listed by CHP for the 1st Gen 67-69, and they are supposed to go under with nothing more than minor rub on some cars that may require a little hammer time to adjust the lip and inner fender in the offending locations. The trick is the backspacing combined with the rim width.

Another good reference is the May03 issue of Popular HR that features Steve Chryssochoos, mean looking Streetfighter 68 Protouring Machine.
He squeezed a 285 /35/18 in back and a 255 /35/18 in the front. He was not happy with ride quality and mentioned he'll be changing to a taller 40 or 45 series side wall to improve ride and grip. I imagine he'll have to narrow down to a 275 with the taller side wall in the rear. Looking at the pics in the feature, these wheels and tires are stuffed under and he did not mention needing to do mods to the rear. However I do suspect rtrickery as one pic of the rear looks as if the shocks may have been relocated inboard (easy mod).
The front on the Streetfighter 68 does have a Wayne Due/Art Rasmussen tubular subframe and 87 Corvette control arms, so maybe that allowed the 255's to fit up front.

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 06:53 AM

Steve and I were just talking this morning. I'll drop him a note asking what he plans on running. He just got done with some MAJOR updates to his Art Morrison front clip.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to jg95z28
I've got a 67 coupe that's getting painted as we speak. My kid wants to run 17's on it (who can blame him) and I'd like to be able to rotate them since this will end up being his daily driver. I read on another site that 17x8s with 4-3/4" backspacing and 245/40s will fit on all four corners. However before I dump almost $2k on new tires and wheels, I want to be sure.

Does anyone know of other 67s running this set-up or whether or not it should work?

Thanks.

'67 RS Coupe - Gold on Gold, 327/210, PG and mostly original
'67 Plain Jane Coupe - Penske Blue, Z/28 stripes, 350HO & Tremec TKO500
'95 Z28 Coupe - Dead stock (seriously)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

"Steve and I were just talking this morning. I'll drop him a note asking what he plans on running. He just got done with some MAJOR updates to his Art Morrison front clip."

69Protouring,
Let Steve know that his 68 "Streetfighter" is my hero. Especially those wheels. If I had the $800/wheel he must have thrown down for those without the tires on them, I'd be throwing it down. I'm looking for less expensive alternatives that look close to his wheels. I'm also wondering what mods he has done to the rear suspension. I'm eyeballing the H to H truckarm suspension for my 68, but I need the stock market to cooperate so I can get the cash I'll need just to have this installed. I'm also on the fence as to wether the truckarm suspension is really justified or wretched excess.
Tim

Meanchicken
68 SS
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to jg95z28
Dang, and I though I was being agressive with 245/45s on 17x8s at all corners.

'67 RS Coupe - Gold on Gold, 327/210, PG and mostly original
'67 Plain Jane Coupe - Penske Blue, Z/28 stripes, 350HO & Tremec TKO500
'95 Z28 Coupe - Dead stock (seriously)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 06:57 AM

Smile

Yes, I finally got my Mustang Bullitt's on my car but am still playing with the front.

I want to install offset upper A-arm shafts b/c of my spindle extenders and also change out my drum hub's for two piece hubs b/c they will move my tires out a schosh for more upper ball joint lip/rim lip clearance.

I have about 3/16" now and feel that isn't enough!!

Tires are 225 and 255/45-17's b/c I did not want to hassle with any rubbing while I was figuring out how to put everything on my car.

Bullitt's, 13" and 11.75" pdqCBB's, spring's, raised front leaf spring mounts, spindle extender's, etc..

pdq67

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech

hey guys is that truck arm rear susp really as awesome as it sounds???
jake

1968 Camaro streetfighter, 18x10,18x12 ccw's,tq arm rear,apex c6 front sub,ls6 asa cammed dry sump,t-56,335/30/18 and 275/35/18 toyo r888

Jake's Rod Shop
207-595-0677
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech

On the truckarm question. I'm considering it over the traditional 4 link upgrade since, based
on what I've read about it, it is more suited to the protouring application than the 4-link which has a tendancy to bind under hard cornering unless it is tuned on the money.

Cost for a 4 link and tubs is in the same ball park as the truckarm install and tubs.

When I get closer to popping for the upgrade, I'll be asking Hotrods to Hell for some references from customers who have gone for their truckarm kit install. They quoted me at under $6K including exhaust from the headers out the back for the complete install on my 68. Exhaust dumped out in front of the wheels is a few hundred less.

Meanchicken
68 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode