Vintage 16" ? for Carl C. or whoever - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 03, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

I know that several members run these wheels, I thought I remember that Carl C. was running 245 50 16" in front and 255 50 in rear in the Camaro Performers mag last year. Is this right? Any suggestions the wheels have a 4.5" backspace all around. I would like to do this once with out any rubbing issues car is lowered with hotchkis leafs and approx 2" lowered coils. I can send some pics if someone is interested. Thanks,SS

406, TKO 600 and 12 bolt posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 03, 12:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Since Carl is abandoning us for SEMA, I'll respond! I too have these with the same size tires on my 69. Carl had mentioned on his 68 the need to put button head bolts in the inner wheel wells for some added clearance.I haven't seen any rubbing on mine.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 03, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

I think that 69 can take a wider front, I am considering 245 front and 255 rear Kumho supra 712 if I can find the 255. Vintage recommends the 225 front might go that route. So no problems with the rear inner wheelwell then? SS

[ 11-04-2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: railing68 ]

406, TKO 600 and 12 bolt posi.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 03, 01:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

None. However, mine is nicely centered. Others have reported an offshift which would affect the clearances.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 03, 07:22 AM
Tech Team
Rick

I also just bought these wheels (V40s) and have the same question. From reading the posts, it sounds like all these cars are a little different...hard to believe for ONLY 35 year young cars! The exact same combo that works for one rubs on another. Also, your statement about the '69s being different than the 67-68s is correct, '69s have larger wheelwells I believe.
My plan was to mount two 245/50-16 tires and then try the combo on the front and back to see if there were any issues. If these worked on the front, AND there was plenty of room in the rear, I was going to go for 255/50-16 tires in the rear. If the 245s did not work in the front, they would go in the back (where I'm 99% sure they will fit) and I would downsize to a 225 for the front. Would use a 235, but have not found any tires this size in the brands I was looking at.
The problem with this plan is that I may be stuck with 245s on the back when 255s would have fit, but that would just be a good reason to practice some burnouts!
I am building up the rearend right now so will not make the purchase for a few weeks, please post back with what works on your car.

'67, 327/???, Turbo 350
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 03, 08:43 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Yes, I bailed out and went to SEMA. Let's see, great cars, great parts, great people, and hot chicks, or your guys? Huuummmmm

Ditto on the above. I did have to roll the outer rear fender lip a bit from the 10-2 o'clock position but the quarters are new so I cannot gaurantee stock placement.

The fit was also better on the front with -1* camber, which is needed anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode