need simple info on wheel-measurements, please - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 03, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

I have some difficulties finding info on wheels which will fit my '67 Camaro.

The biggest problem is that I have to translate the US measurements into European values, like 'offset' in the US should be the same as the 'ET' value in Europe.

I often see wheels for sale here, which should fit my Camaro, but they come from a BMW 5,7,8-series.
Therefor I want to find out all details about chevy-wheels and which 'European'wheels will fit my US-car.
I wanted to search this site and others, but the US wheel-terminology is unknown for me...

I know my wheels have 5 holes for the wheelnuts, but the size of the circle is unknown for me.

Can someone please translate the most important numbers on the following picture into English, or better, can someone give some specific chevy numbers which will fit my '67. (e.g. #8 on the pic. must be 2" to fit, #9 must be xx", but #5, 6, 7 are not that important, etc.)
Or just a website will also be helpful.

David
'67 Camaro crossram
'67 Camaro convertible SS/RS clone project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 03, 05:26 PM

Smile

I will try to help.

First, you have a 4.75" five lug Chevy bolt circle. Use .03937 as the conversion factor to convert inches to MM's..

Wheels are generally 1" wider outside to outside then what they are sold at where the tire actually mounts due to the thicknesses of both the outer lips on the wheel.

Backspacing here in the USA is measured by using a straightedge laid across the rear wheel, lip to lip. and then in perpendicularly towards the rear hub mounting face.

I always get this confused, but I think a wheel that has the hub mounting surface in the middle of it's rim is a zero offset wheel.

If it has less measurement then half the width of the wheel, it is a positive offset wheel.

And if it has more measurement then half the wheel rim width, it is a negative offset wheel.

My confusion is that I may have the last two reversed???

I hope this helps..

pdq67

PS., a stock, '67 had a 14" diameter x 6" wide steel wheel with 3.75" backspacing measured like I explained above to use as reference.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 03, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Angry

Thanks pdq [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
I found out a diameter of 4.724409" (120mm) is common here for European cars and will probably fit my Camaro, but is it wise to use them?

And do you also know the radius or diameter of #8 on the pic. above?

I would look at my own '67 to do the measurements, but it is already stored and covered etc. and not nearby. I also don't have spare wheels for refference.

Thanks again!

[ 11-06-2003, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: DL ]

David
'67 Camaro crossram

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 03, 04:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

# 8 would be tire diameter... I don't know the metric to english conversions, but they do match... that is, there are standard metric tire sizes that coincide with our standard english (American) sizes.

Camaros (1st gen) come stock with 14" tires, many people run 15's, and some run 16 or 17"

All will fit on your camaro, as long as the wheel offset or backspace is right.

In the front, a 235mm wide tires just fits, may rub the frame a little at full lock turn.

In the back, you can get a 255 in without cutting anything, if the wheel offset is just right.

As pdq wrote, offset is confusing to the point that we all use backspace now. If you measure as he described, the actual measurement is the backspace.

a 7" wide, 0 offset wheel would have a backspace of 3.5". an 8 inch wide, zero offset wheel would have a 4" backspace.

*** FROM WHAT I'VE READ (I'M SHOPPING TIRES, TOO) to fit a tire larger than a 235 on the rear, you need a wheel that will offset toward the inside of the car... like a 15x8, with 4.5" backspace (mounting face shifted 1/2 out from center of wheel.)or the outside of the tire will rub on the inside of the fender lip.

So, to put the widest possible tire in back without major surgery, look for a 15 or 16" wheel, with a 4.75" 5 bolt circle, off a rear wheel drive car, with a 4.5 or 5" backspace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 03, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Thanks for the info! At this time I am running 15" 235 in the back and 14" 215 in front. (Yeah, I know...the musclecar look ) but I want to go 17" wheels..... 17" 225 orso in front and 17" 255/265 in the back (I just want to bolt-on the wheels and I don't want to cut metal or weld things to make them fit, so maybe only 255 will fit in the back?)

I think there is some misunderstanding with #8. By the number 8 on the picture I mean the hole in the center of the wheel... In the exact center of the wheel is a big hole, around this hole are the 5 smaller holes (for the lug-nuts). I would like to know the diameter (in inches or mm) of that big 'hole'. Then I can search if some wheels will fit.....

Thanks again! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

David
'67 Camaro crossram
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 03, 11:27 AM

2.775" and the unworn part right next to the hubs wheel mount face is right at 2.800".

I just measured my hubs for you!

pdq67

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 03, 04:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Angry

See if this page is still up. The pics won't come up on this VAMC computer.

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 03, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Angry

Thank you very much!!

Now I know everything I wanted to know [img]smile.gif[/img] ... MangeMD, yes the website is still on and the pics are very useful.

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 08:09 PM

Hey Dl,
Could you let us know if they will fit especially the lug nuts not too sure what type BMW's use.

I would really like a set of throwing stars from an 850 (+12mm) without the plastic caps
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 03, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

With the information from here I found some websites with details on different wheels, http://www.fastco.ca/2002WheelsPrices.pdf

If you compare BMW wheels with Chevy wheels the next can be said:

The difference between the bolt-pattern is minimal, 120mm BMW vs 120.65mm GM. The 5 holes in the BMW wheel must be each 0.325mm (0.0131") bigger than the bolt-diameter on the GM brake. (I did not measure the wheels themselves, but I can assume that each hole is much bigger than 0.0131")
I have heard of people that run BMW wheels on their Camaros.

The OEM Hex is 19mm (0.748")BMW vs 19.05mm (0.75")GM, so maybe they could not fit, but I think the correct GM lugnut-shape (0.75" 60*, 0.75"flat, 0.75"radius) can be bought from GM.

The hub size is different too. The GM (2.77") one is smaller than a BMW (2.86") so you will have to make some rings with the outer diameter of BMW2.86" and an inner diameter of the GM2.77".

Than the offset is different too, +20 for BMW vs +55ish/+60ish.

I guess with a little work it is possible....
I will try to borrow some 5x120 wheels from BMW and see if it works. The only problem is that I don't know any people that actuelly drive BMW, and my Maro is stored... But I will try, theoratically it will work, now trying to do it practically.

[ 11-12-2003, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: DL ]

David
'67 Camaro crossram
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 03, 01:01 PM

David

If you are saying the camaro has a +55 to 60 mm you are a bit off for a 67 the 4th gen use large offsets. The differance might be from backspacing measurements you are using to calc offset. bacspacing is measured from the outer edge of the rim which includes about 1/2 inch for the tire bead a advertised 7" rim will measure 8".

I have a 68 and have added disc's all around and have a set of torque thrust D's in 15x7 with a -8 mm offset they are very close to the rear of the front wheelwell when turning with 225/60's. I think a +20 would be about right from a 5 or 7 series the newer 3 series and roadsters use a +30 to +40 so.

I have seen aftermarket wheels sold that say they fit 3 series BMW and 93+ camaro's

Thnaks for the hub and lug measuremnets as for an aluminum spacer to be hubcentric I would worry about it most aftermarket wheels have larger holes in the center
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 03, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Vic_68, you are right. I should have written that it was for a 4th gen Camaro..... In the .pdf file you could see it was for 4th gen's.

David
'67 Camaro crossram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode