17" Cragar SS's on a stock '69? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 03, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to FromTheGroundUp
Exclamation

I'm new to this site, and have been restoring a '69 RS/SS camaro coupe w/ my dad for the past 3 years or so. The car is nearly finished, and is currently in the paint shop; so I'm about to fork out a lot of money on wheels and tires. I like the look of 17's with low profile tires, and love cragars as well. If I do this combo, it'd be 17X9s with 255/40/17's in the back, and 17X8's with 215/45/17's in the front. Will I run into any sort of problems with this combo on a completely stock suspension 'cept for Vettebrakes fiberglass leaf springs in the rear? Also, what kind of backspacing do I need on these? My father and local parts supplier are trying to convince me to get 15x8 original rallies...so what's your opinions? Any comments are greatly appreciated, thank you!

-Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 03, 03:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

4.75 to 5" of bs on a 17x8.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 07:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I spent about a month trying to run down 17's in a Cragar SS and what I found out is you cant get a SS in a 17 with the backspacing you need to make that combo work. I bagged it and went with Torq Thrust 2's. Not only did I find out the backspace was wrongg but I found out the 3 different manufacturers dont make the SS in 17 right now since there is some problems with royaltys. The plan is to have Dante' Designs to pick it up after Jan 1 but you still wont get the right backspacing unless they decided to offer it.
Mike

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to FromTheGroundUp
Smile

So bad news all around...I'd rather have chrome over aluminum any day...i'd rather polish than buff...if I have to go with Torq Thrust II's for that style, does anyone know anywhere to get them for less than $279.99 for 17X9.5s and $269.99 for 17X8s? thanks for all the help. Also, will a 6" backspacing not work on a '69 with 17X9's? I don't know if this matters either, but just incase, the car has front disc brakes and rear drums. Thanks again guys!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 01:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally posted by FromTheGroundUp:
So bad news all around...I'd rather have chrome over aluminum any day...i'd rather polish than buff...if I have to go with Torq Thrust II's for that style, does anyone know anywhere to get them for less than $279.99 for 17X9.5s and $269.99 for 17X8s? thanks for all the help. Also, will a 6" backspacing not work on a '69 with 17X9's? I don't know if this matters either, but just incase, the car has front disc brakes and rear drums. Thanks again guys!
Those are good prices; do they include the custom backspace charge? You'll need 5.5" b.s. on the rear (6" won't work) and 4.75-5" on the fronts and those are custom offsets (the rear at least).

The cheapest I've found was at http://www.wheelsforless.com/

They were just over $1100. delivered to your house with the custom offsets. They're $235 each on the front 17X8" with the correct 4.75" offset, but you'll have to call on the rears.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to jg95z28
I got quoted on TT-II's, 17X8 w/ 4.75" BS a few weeks ago. $256 ea from Big O Tires.

[ 11-10-2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: jg95z28 ]

'67 RS Coupe - Gold on Gold, 327/210, PG and mostly original
'67 Plain Jane Coupe - Penske Blue, Z/28 stripes, 350HO & Tremec TKO500
'95 Z28 Coupe - Dead stock (seriously)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode