I give up. Someone just tell me what to do...Please? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey everybody.

I am about to replace the 36 year old front springs. I have already upgraded to a 5 leaf in the rear. What I need to know is what would be the best wheels for my car, preferably in a 16" rim? I know that there is tons of info on this subject, so I have literally spent hours looking over all the posts; truthfully I think I am more confused than when I started. So I am asking for some opinionated (I mean that in a good way) and experienced people to just tell me what works. I sure as heck won't argue. My criteria are:

67 Camaro. Stock height 5 leafs, 1" drop on the front springs, drum brakes all around, traction bars. Stock everything else (fenders aren't rolled, shocks are in stock location, etc.). I don't care if the rims are moderately different from front to back, within reason. I don't want to rub, so I don't need to push every tolerance. I am just looking for a decently wide, time-tested combo that I can safely purchase and not look back.

I have no experience with custom wheels, and need to lean on you guys for this one. I would really appreciate the help, as always.

Mike

Mike J.
67 406ci named "Gideon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech

How about a pic of the car? That might help....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech

By the way, IMHO, Rallys are the way to go.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 03, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech

I'd suggest 16x8's with 4.5 backspace.Its a proven combo that works well.
Tires,245/50/16 front.....255/50/16 rear.

To see that combo look at Carl Casanova's "rig"
http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/

89 C4 Coupe/Z51/ZF6/J55

Sold the 69
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 03, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the responses, guys. I am not sure how to post a pic, but there is one picture of it on

http://www.ncdoula.com/chevelleweb/Gideon.htm\

Notice the 68 grill...I just like the 68 grill. The car's a mutt anyway.

I think I will take your advice Tom, and go with the combo you recommended.

By the way, Carl-wherever you are. Your Camaro is awesome. I have that Super Chevy. Awesome. I hope you don't mind if I unabashedly copy your wheel and tire combo; imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all.

[ 11-11-2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Gideon ]

Mike J.
67 406ci named "Gideon"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 03, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Thanks for the compliments Mike!

If you decide to buy the rims from Vintage Wheel
Works ask Rusty if he still offers the $100 finders fee for new customers. They were offering $100 to current VWW owners who reffered new customers. If you know someone who has a set of their rims, and work out a deal, you might save yourself a few bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 03, 03:16 PM
Tech Team

Hey Carl , wonder if you have advise for my problem? I have 14x7 ralleys all the way around on my 68.I have hotchkis 2" drop springs on the front and 1.5" drop in the rear. The tires are 235/60/14. The problem is that the outer tie rod rubs the inside of the tire.IS there anyway to fix this problem without changing tire size?I plan on changing rims one day but for now its not in the budget.Advise anybody? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

1968 camaro 350,th350,3.55 gear
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 03, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

How about using a wheel spacer to bring the wheel away from the tie rod? They are available in various thicknesses from Pep Boys, Summit, etc.

Try putting some washers between the wheel and the drum/rotor until you get the spacing you wish. Measure the thickness of the washer stack and order the correct spacer. Be sure not to drive the car with only the washers. Also confirm that you will have enough wheel stud thread length to accomidate the spacer.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 03, 04:25 PM
Tech Team

Thanks Carl i'll give it a shot and i'll post back later to let you know how it worked.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 03, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

CarlC,

I looked over the article featuring your car in Super Chevy, and read that it has relocated upper A-arms. I was wondering if the fact that I have my front suspension stock would affect the use of the same wheel/tire combo as yours. Any thoughts?

Mike J.
67 406ci named "Gideon"
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 03, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

If the ride height is like mine (9 1/4" from the ground to the center of the front lower A-arm bolt) then something around -1* camber or a bit more may be required. Running -1* on the street is no problem since there is not enough camber gain using the stock geometry. If you align the car to the stock specs it will badly wear the outside of the tire every time. You can start at -1* camber, as much caster as it will take, and between 0" - 1/16" toe out.

I run -1.5*, 3.5*, and 1/16" out with the mod on the street. On the track it's not enough, it needs closer to -2 and 1/8" out.

You will likely need to run buttonhead screws along the perimeter of the wheelhouse. It's a tight fit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode