18" Budnik's - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 03, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

I am getting ready to order Budnik Formosa's for my 69 and I needed some help, or re-assurance, on the proper wheel size and backspacing. Please chime in with any help, all is appreciated. I have reviewed all of the history on this issue probably 5 times or more in the last month and I still would like some advise.

I have a stock 69 SS that has not been lowered, with disc's up front, drum's in the rear. I really would like to go with 18's, 8's up front and 9.5's in the rear. From everything I read, this should be ok. Some people say 5" bs up front, some say 4.75". Everyone seems to agree that 5.5" bs in rear is right on. I don't want to have to worry about rubbing with passengers, so what do you guys think?

Dennis, you seem to be on top of this subject, please send me some of your advise.

Bruce A.
1969 RS/SS 396
727 52 E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 03, 04:22 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hi Bruce, use the search feature and search this forum for "9.5", budnik, and 17 (without the quotes) and my member number "186" You can leave the search box blank and just use my member number if you want. You'll get tons like this one from the day I got my 17's (sorry the pic's are gone, some of the others have pic's though...
https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...=000944#000004
18's are do able I putted around with my friend Cris' 18's on my car one day... His rears were 18x9.5 with 5.5 or 5.75 bs he also had some machine work done to them when he did disc's so the bs may have been more...

Here's a pic with the 18's (Famosa's)...
I just needed more sidewall so went with 17's... Also note I started with 275/40's out back and ended up with 255/45's as half the driving I do includes the family and chairs and food and tools and drinks and jackets and a spare and a camara bag and and and ...and it's worse on an over nighter... Turning and going in a driveway fully loaded meant rubbing with the 275's...

and with 17's (Anvil 5's)

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 03, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

thanks Dennis! Appreciate the help! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Bruce A.
1969 RS/SS 396
727 52 E

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 03, 08:22 AM

Seems like Famosas in 18" are getting somewhat common [img]smile.gif[/img]

18x8 front and 18x9.5 back

Its about the only part of the car im keeping.

more pics at the website

Oh, 245.35 tires up front and 285.35 out back.. 275's would fit better though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 03, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

steve,

your's helped sell me on the Famosa's. Awesome looking car!! What is your bs again?

Bruce A.
1969 RS/SS 396
727 52 E
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 03, 05:06 AM

im not sure.. they came on the car.. the car is currently in a million pieces getting painted (see website for details).. I could try and find out for you.

285's would need a bit of inner fender well massaging to make not rub on the inside.. 275's should be fine though [img]smile.gif[/img]

Be sure to post when you get the wheels on.. email me and I will try and get the bs for ya.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 03, 05:16 AM
CJ
Senior Tech
Cris

Bruce- run the 5" B/S up front. Are you going to upgrade to rear discs? As Dennis eluded to, I had to reconfigure my rears after the Baer upgrade. The rear B/S is 5.75".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode