Spacesaver Tire Inflator - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 03, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Just picked up a spacesaver tire and inflator bottle for my '68. I checked the Assembly Istruction Mnual however I cannot find were the inflator bottle is suppose to mount. Any help is appreciated, Thanks. Picture would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 03, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Can anyone help?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 03, 12:12 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Here's a shot of my 68 Firebird - You'll have to get others to say if the Camaro spare/bottle is the same.
http://www.geocities.com/jims68fb/Trunk.html

Jim
68 400HO Conv.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 03, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks alot for the pic, that answered all my questions.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 03, 04:40 PM

Talking

The 68 FB installtion is the same as a 68 Camaro.
67's are different. :&gt
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 03, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Really what is different with 67's compared to 68's?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 03, 09:22 PM

The 67 inflators are smaller, in a cardboard tube with metal ends, and a zip string around the middle to open the tube. The hold down is also a different style. I can send you pics if you want.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 03, 03:12 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Just a note:
The inflator in the picture is not my original. It is GM part number 486506, a replacement for the original. I had a flat about 1972/3 and bought the replacement about that time at a GM dealer. Also, I believe a black cardboard cover once was over the red half of the container. Many years of stuff in the trunk did it in.
The picture depicts the factory mounting arrangement. If anyone knows a source for the 68 factory bottle, I'd love to get one.

Jim
68 400HO Conv.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 03, 07:15 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Refrence RPO N365 in the Factory Assembly Manual. The '69 AIM shows it just slightly different from Jim's ragtop bird. The base is turned 90 degs and the air canister is below the center (below the bolt, Jims is above it.) of the wheel so it is away from the rim. I don't know if the '68 is exactly the same but there is a note for the '69 that says the canister only touches the base...

Interesting note... The camaro ragtop (at least the '69) doesn't mount the tire where the coupe does, the pic of Jims shows his ragtop bird has it mounted in the same place as the coupe. Jim did all birds come with space savers? a full size spare mounted where yours is would get in the way of the top when it's down...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 03, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Is the rim suppose to be grey or black for a 68 Coupe?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 03, 11:31 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Good comments Dennis. I probably turned the base and bottle around the first time I filled the trunk. Lots of stuff has been crammed in there over the years and the space is slightly more usable with the bottle forward. I have noticed the 68 brochures show it the way you say but there are no 68 Firebird Assembly Manuals available. The base on mine is factory original paint. The rim I matched closely and repainted.

I believe, all 68 Birds came standard with the Space-Saver but an option could order the conventional spare. I saw a convertible with the conventional and it was mounted in the bottom of the trunk. With the top down and that spare, the trunk was pretty full.

Maybe I need to hold back my comments more. As I spend more time reading this site and studying the Camaro, I'm finding many more differences between Camaros and Firebirds than I expected. It's not just orange vs blue engines.

Jim
68 400HO Conv.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 03, 02:22 PM

Smile

Dan, the rim should be grey(smoke grey is a pretty good match to the OEM color).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode