ordered rims and got a deal from boyd's - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 03, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Just thought I would pass on some info. I decided to order rims today for my 69 RS/SS. I had debated it long enough. It will be painted flame red in the next few weeks and it is time. I called Boyd's just to see if I could "get a deal" directly from them. They had the Timeless 5 on sale 17x8's for $200 apiece. I told him(BOB)that I really liked the Stingrays and that I needed 17x8's and 17x9.5's with custom backspacing. I told him that I also really liked the Centerline Matrix which was quite a bit cheaper than theirs. He said I needed the Stingrays and how did $229 for 17x8 with 5"BSS and $241 for 17x9.5 with 5.25"BSS(I have drums in rear). I said will you take a credit card. It was strange that he said in his book it said 17x8 is the largest for 67-81 camaro. I told him camaros.net has many that run th 9.5 and I was certain that they would fit. Thanks for all the info. Great site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 03, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I have to say that picking out wheels and ones that will fit your situation is the hardest thing I've been through. Size, style, cost all come into play. Then add the size, style and cost of the tires you want to run and you can go nuts trying to figure it all out. I liked the look of some 17" wheels on some cars but not on others. I also decided I wanted more sidewall due to our wonderful roads in NJ so I settled for 16" wheels. Those are really good prices for 17" wheels. I ended up going with the Vintage V45 16x8 with 245/50 and 255/50 tires and came in under $1000 for all new stuff. Money was definitely a factor, but I wanted a certain look as well.

Jeff H
69 Z28 Hugger Orange original factory JL8 brakes, being restored
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 03, 05:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Question

Did you get the cast 5's or the Billet 5's? HUGE difference in price.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 03, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am not sure Cast 5 or Billet 5?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 03, 07:40 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to GETYOPAPION
Talking

they only make cast 6`s for suvs not the 5s from last that i saw ...but again there could be cast 5s

1969 camaro rs ss
twin turbo
ls1
t56
12 bolt 3:31
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 03, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

They make cast 5's. A guy on www.pro-touring.com has them on his Nova.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode